Home > General > Towbars
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
markrt

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Sumatra Black
Towbars

Hello all
Just found this site ( how great it seems ) and joined, i am currently waiting for my new Freelander 2 ( its at the dealer just waiting for my cherished transfer to complete) , can't wait to get it

Now this may seem a funny request, but could any of you take pictures of your tow bars for me please ?, i am particularly interested in removable ones and what they look like when fitted and then the car whan they are removed. I will use my Freelander to tow our caravan but i am fussy about how it looks !! hence the request.

Thanking you all in advance

Mark

Post #12185 27th Dec 2007 12:03 pm
builder

England 

Hi markrt.
Nice to have another caravanner on board.
Like you I have ordered my car with a removable tow bar even though I have never seen one fitted so, like you I look forward to seeing some pics if available.
I figure that if it's not on the car when not required it's not in the way of shins when loading the boot, as well as looking cleaner.
Mind you the fixed tow bar that I have fitted to my Volvo V70 has been useful when the wife tries reversing. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #12186 27th Dec 2007 12:12 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Hi markrt

If you look thorough the members galleries, you should be able to come across some photos of various towbars.

I have taken some pictures of the connectors for my "LR FIXED" towbar, I beleive the fixings is simular for the detachable one.

You'll most likely get some members telling you to look at their galleries if they have them, but its worth looking through in the mean time Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #12189 27th Dec 2007 1:32 pm
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

I just added 3 pictures of a GDW removable towbar to the gallery. Almost unnoticeable when removed - no cutting of the plastic bumper required - ingenious fitting system of towing hook: conical surfaces avoid backlash.
Disadvantage: could be difficult to find out of Belgium.

Post #12191 27th Dec 2007 2:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
markrt

Paul

That looks great, but as you say i have never heard of a GDW towbar but will investigate.

I will also statrt trawling through members galleries.

Mark

Post #12192 27th Dec 2007 2:23 pm
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Mark, don't forget to read this as well:

http://www.freel2.com/forum/post4502.html#4502

A towbar - genuine or not - is one thing, the wiring is another that can cause serious problems. (Even if apparently some of us managed to make one themselves Thumbs Up )

Post #12194 27th Dec 2007 4:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shar

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Hi ,look on my gallery picture ,we have the detachable one fitted .
shar Mr. Green

Post #12208 27th Dec 2007 10:08 pm
builder

England 

shar wrote:
Hi ,look on my gallery picture ,we have the detachable one fitted .
shar Mr. Green

Nice one. Thumbs Up

Would appreciate a picture with the bar detatched Smile

Post #12212 27th Dec 2007 10:57 pm
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Markrt,

Yep, check my gallery too, where there is a photo showing LR removable towbar removed. You really wouldn't notice it at all if it weren't for one of the electrics sockets having a white cover (dunno why). Rolling Eyes
 Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #12217 28th Dec 2007 1:46 am
markrt

Many thanks for all the great replies, i have been checking out your galleries as well. I won't have the problem of a white cap because a i going to have the 13 pin socket which is black.

I am also going to read the wiring topic with interest

Mark

Post #12226 28th Dec 2007 10:57 am
markconnor33

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Hiya Mark

Glad to hear your joining the "club".

I fitted a removable Witter towbar, which has a swan neck towball,and plugs into a socket just below the bumper.
With electrics fitted to the side, its difficult to see (sorry haven't managed to upload any photos).

Bought the towbar from Towequipe (online) and a Smart bypass relay kit, which I wired in myself and all works fine (see my separate post for wiring details!).

Fitting the towbar itself was dead straightforward with no cutting of bumper required, other than drilling a 20 dia access hole behind the removable reflector (ie concealed after refitting reflector).
All bolts/fixings in the kit. Took about 1 hr to fit + wiring/testing time (2hrs).

My advice would be buy the towbar, and fit yourself (if competant DIYer), then try and pick up a plug in FL2 wiring kit on Ebay - if you don't fancy the wiring challenge!.

Good luck, and enjoy the motor - praying for some snow to test on!!!

Mark Freelander 2
TD4 GS
Shiney fantastic Baltic Blue
Detachable Witter Towbar

Post #12228 28th Dec 2007 11:25 am
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Jan I think the white cover is something for those who tow tin tents behind them. It allows them to run their microwave ovens, deep freezers, fridges, satellite TV's, computers and all those things they cannot leave home without. I also have a white socket that I have never used.

One thing I would like to ask all you guys with F2's - when I was involved with offroading F1's one of the biggest problems we had was recovering a stuck car that didn't have a towhitch as the lashing eyes on the F1 looked about as strong as a welding rod and totally unsuitable for car recovery. Has the F2 got the same system as RRSport and D3 - a huge cast recovery eye permanently fixed into the chassis front and rear and covered by a removable plate in the bumper? How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #12229 28th Dec 2007 11:29 am
shar

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

morning all, have put some pictures on my gallery with towbar removed , and tim in scotland there is one on there for you too only took a picture of the back one there is one on the front too right underneath in the center , hope this is any help to you all . Oh and have clear indicator repeaters put on too so theres a picture of that aswell.
shar Mr. Green

Post #12231 28th Dec 2007 12:44 pm
markrt

Mark

Thanks for the advice, i was planning on fitting the tow bar myself and then buying a genuine wiring kit for the wiring. Why did you go for the witter tow bar ? was it just price or were there other factors involved as well.

Mark

Post #12233 28th Dec 2007 1:07 pm
builder

England 

[quote="Tim in Scotland"]Jan I think the white cover is something for those who tow tin tents behind them. It allows them to run their microwave ovens, deep freezers, fridges, satellite TV's, computers and all those things they cannot leave home without. I also have a white socket that I have never used.

That just about sums it up Tim. Very Happy

shar thanks for the photo with tow bar removed. Very neat. Is that the L R tow bracket Question Thumbs Up

Post #12237 28th Dec 2007 1:54 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>