Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > How to Install a TomTom 720T with no wires showing.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi scotster, many thanks for the splash screen, thats really cool Thumbs Up

After nearly 15 months of owning the car, a reliable radio is something I've yet to achieve. They've had the head unit out a couple of times (changed it once), if there was any sign I'd been near it I know they'd give me even more grief.

Post #17272 7th Apr 2008 8:45 am
avtur

avtur wrote:
That's a cracking job there scotster, Thumbs Up

Given the number of times my car has returned to the dealers I decided not to go the custom fit route. That would be just another reason for them to pi55 me about.

So, here's my solution for mounting the 720 .....

[img] https://www.freel2.com/gallery/displayimag...&pos=5 [/img]

[img] https://www.freel2.com/gallery/displayimag...&pos=1 [/img]

[img] https://www.freel2.com/gallery/displayimag...&pos=4 [/img]

Yes, thats a piece of glass custom cut to fit snugly in the cubby in the dash. The standard TomTom mount fits onto the glass. It is very secure. It goes without saying the edges of the glass have been and its perfectly safe to handle. At the end of a journey the mount stays on the glass and it is thrown into the glove box.

I would think this would work for any aftermarket SatNav, have also tried it on Garmin Nuvi 200 Widescreen

Sorry this is off topic, but can anyone tell me why the images I've embedded in the above message are not showing in the message body, the link works as a 'hyperlink' but for some reason the image wont display without activating the link. Nick P, I know you explained this in another thread, I've followed your instructions, but somehow I must be missing something. Any help much appreciated.

Post #17367 8th Apr 2008 4:29 am
xxtrail

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Not a Tom Tom but a Garmin Nuvi 760. Don't yet fancy cutting out any holes to conceal cable (only one), but found that device attached to it's cradle fits snugly in the aperture and the cable doesn't look too bad.

Even better if running it on batteries (4-5 hours) as it fits VERY snugly but further into cubby. This acts as a sun cowl and keeps most sun and reflections off of the screen and it's fully visible from normal driving position. See gallery. Was GS TD4 Auto, Privacy, Santorini with Tundra & Alpaca, Cold Climate Pack. Traded for Discovery Sport HSE Auto.

Post #17587 10th Apr 2008 2:02 pm
xxtrail

Forgot to say thanks to scotster for splash screen which I copied and edited with Garmin logo. Was GS TD4 Auto, Privacy, Santorini with Tundra & Alpaca, Cold Climate Pack. Traded for Discovery Sport HSE Auto.

Post #17588 10th Apr 2008 2:06 pm
xxtrail

And talking of sat nav, has anybody got an opinion on the best 'safety camera' POI info to use. Garmin have a very good pre-loaded set which can be updated by subscription £30 p/annum, but I see that there are other FREE camera POI downloads at various sites. Don't want to pay-up if no need, but do want up to date info. Was GS TD4 Auto, Privacy, Santorini with Tundra & Alpaca, Cold Climate Pack. Traded for Discovery Sport HSE Auto.

Post #17589 10th Apr 2008 2:12 pm
avtur

xxtrail wrote:
And talking of sat nav, has anybody got an opinion on the best 'safety camera' POI info to use. Garmin have a very good pre-loaded set which can be updated by subscription £30 p/annum, but I see that there are other FREE camera POI downloads at various sites. Don't want to pay-up if no need, but do want up to date info.

Best one in my opinion, is to be found at www.pocketgpsworld.com. Costs £19 to subscribe for a year and download as often as you like. you would receive regualr emails advising when updates available, (there used to be an option to download once for £2 - no updates - not sure if that is still available). The site has very active forums and is a great source of help an advice and satnav in general as well as their safety camera poi's. Worth a look. Watch out for the 'free' ones, they are generally unscrupulous types ripping off other peolples hard work.

Post #17591 10th Apr 2008 3:02 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

there is also a wbsite called www.poihandler.com/ which is a useful source to download various databases that people have put together

Things like McDonalds, Burger King, LPG Gas Stations, Red Light Districts, etc etc Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #17593 10th Apr 2008 3:11 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

npinks wrote:
there is also a wbsite called www.poihandler.com/ which is a useful source to download various databases that people have put together

Things like McDonalds, Burger King, LPG Gas Stations, Red Light Districts, etc etc

Are paint and body shops in the poi's so grey fl2 owners can get their cars re-sprayed black? Laughing At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #17595 10th Apr 2008 3:23 pm
avtur

chicken george wrote:
npinks wrote:

Things like McDonalds, Burger King, LPG Gas Stations, Red Light Districts, etc etc

Are paint and body shops in the poi's so grey fl2 owners can get their cars re-sprayed black? Laughing

Yes but my favourite poi files are caravan sites and caravan dealers Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #17597 10th Apr 2008 3:39 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i had that too on the Navman Very Happy Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #17598 10th Apr 2008 3:59 pm
chicken george

avtur wrote:

Yes but my favourite poi files are caravan sites and caravan dealers Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Dont start on the caravans its a banned topic Twisted Evil Buts it's highly commendable that you vaners have those poi's to get you to your destination without diversions, keeping the roads clearer for normal folk Wink. Maybe in the future your sat-nav will relay to mine that there is a van blocking a certain road so I can be forewarned and avoid it Exclamation

Npinks, when your cruising those red light districts do you take the van with you so you have a convenient bed? At work
At home

Post #17602 10th Apr 2008 5:12 pm
avtur

CG I know you jest, but on TomTom you can set up buddy lists, we could do that, just for you Whistle

Post #17605 10th Apr 2008 5:35 pm
chicken george

What all of you? my sat-nav screen would just be a mass of caravan icons every bank holiday! Laughing At work
At home

Post #17609 10th Apr 2008 6:12 pm
chicken george

avtur wrote:
CG I know you jest, but on TomTom you can set up buddy lists, we could do that, just for you Whistle

does that mean we can track npinks to see if he is kerb crawling? Whistle At work
At home

Post #17613 10th Apr 2008 6:18 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12