Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Ice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tatters

Ice

hope i don't sound too stupid but would like to understand how 4x4 works - esp. in the FL2. This morning was the first really cold frosty morning here on my way to work this year, and once the ABS had kicked in once I decided to drive a little more slowly. I currently drive a 2WD golf estate by the way (& I'll still want n FL2 whatever the answer!). My question is, what does a 4x4 add? Presumably if the whole road is a sheet of ice then you'll still slide - but if it's patchy are you less likely to lose control? Also, if you're in a heavier car (eg. FL2) does that mean you grip better b'cos of pressure or simply get more momentum when you slide?

Thank you!

Post #11521 11th Dec 2007 8:43 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Without being technical, was it three years ago in my FL1 we had the snow that closed down the east of England for four days????? ...unless you had a freelander. I left work and all the two wheel drive cars could not get out of town which is up hill from Ampthill, unless you had a Freelander in which case I wove my way around them and went home . The ABS stops each wheel from spinning and transmits the power to the best gripping wheels. If all power is wasted to all wheels the power is reduced to stop all four spinning. So its virtually impossible to get stuck in snow...unless you are pure shett black ice and physics and gravity overpower technology.......there are limits Laughing Thumbs Up

Post #11528 11th Dec 2007 9:30 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Yep 4wd/4x4 is useless unless you have one wheel that can get grip (in a Freeelander), but with all four wheels on ice then you are as well off as a 2WD car and cannot defy the laws of physics either, unless of course you fitted studded tyres for the winter and then you are laughing but will hate the extra noise the studs make on the road surface! How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #11547 12th Dec 2007 12:26 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

if you can get a Landrover experience, through your dealer or booking it yourself, they will show you how the 4x4 systems work.

On mine they had we wizzing around wet grass showing how it works

As Tim in Scotland has said numerous time, try and upgrade a free LRE to the full day if you can get a freebie the extra money would be well worth it. I only wish he gave me that advice Big Cry Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #11553 12th Dec 2007 12:39 am
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

You can always try for another one when you buy your next Land Rover.......................... How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #11559 12th Dec 2007 12:52 am
Ub2

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Ice Confused
What is that?

We in Australia have heard rumours of stuff called rain but have yet to see it.

Bloody auto wipers on the FL2 keep activating when the sun hits the dust on the windscreen. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Regards Ub2
My first Landie; SE TD4 auto Sunroof, Narvik Black with Alpacca interior, towbar & rear spoiler.

Post #11687 14th Dec 2007 2:05 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1