0%  [0]
Total Votes: 39

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
StevenA

Scotland 
To Buy or Not to Buy - That is the question

With the forthcoming sale of Land Rover, would you still buy a new one now or wait and see what happens?

I have been considering buying a new GS, but with the sale of Land Rover to as yet unknown owners, I am not sure if now is the best time to buy. Big Cry

Would it be best to wait and see what the outcome is from the sale? Confused

I am not sure what other genuine alternatives there are at the moment to the FL2 for the same sort of price. I know that the new Tiguan is coming out from VW, but I would not be able to test drive one till after Feb to see if I like it and it is not as good a package as the FL2 in my opinion. Crying or Very sad

So come on then Guy's N Gal's - Opinions please.

Steve

Post #11271 5th Dec 2007 2:04 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

When the sale goes through i think it will not change how landrover run business. Neutral

Or the other way to look at it is get one whilst the going good.... Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #11272 5th Dec 2007 2:17 pm
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

Do you think a new owner will destroy Land Rover, or what? Shocked

Why will they buy Land Rover? To put it down? To make it worse? To make other cars?

There is a buildt-up infrastructure on Land Rover. That is what they buy!

If someone is interested in Buying LR, it is because they see an economic potential to LR as it is. And possibly develop it further. I think espescially the FL2 and RRS has put belief in the market on LR.

Otherwise, no one would be interested to buy.

BMW owned LR, sold it to Ford, who sells it to.....

Anyway, LR has in the past few years shown a solid reason to be on the market. And I believe LR will grow still due to its fine cars. Fine cars!

That is what makes you stay on the market! And LR will remain on the market, fighting of its competitors.

All FL2 needs to have that segment to themselves, is air-suspension. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #11293 5th Dec 2007 8:26 pm
Illipuli

Slovenia 

I ordered my first LR two months ago and I hardly waiting for January's delivery. I really hope this selling/buying won't interfere to the temporary quality of cars.
StevenA: new X trail or CRV if you are more street racer Wink

Post #11303 5th Dec 2007 11:50 pm
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

I see no reason to worry at all .... LR didn't collapse when bought out before, so why now? Tata are one of the most successful global outfits around; so if they buy LR it is because they think they can make it prosper further. Razz

Added to that, I would think you'd be taking a much bigger risk considering a brand new VW model, which no doubt will have its own initial glitches and s/w faults!! Shocked
 Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #11304 6th Dec 2007 12:11 am
StevenA

Scotland 

Illipuli,

Just a shame that they both fell out of the ugly tree - hitting a few branches on the way Whistle

I still prefer the FL2, just have slight concerns about spending £23K on a new car after seeing what happened to the Rover Car company. Rolling Eyes

I know that it is a different situation as Land Rover is more a premium brand and TATA and the likes are far more established than the group that bought out Rover, so shouldn't have the same issues.

I think that I will still be looking at getting the FL2 as the Tiguan is essentially a taller Golf Plus & I personally don't like the look of the CR-V or the X-Trail. As for the BMW X3 - It's a hell of a lot of money for a car that can't do more offroad than wet grass. Rolling with laughter

Cheers,

Steve Thumbs Up

Post #11313 6th Dec 2007 9:19 am
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Guys Tata is part of one of the biggest companies in the world. They already make 4x4's (even though they are absolutely crap! and meant for the Indian market) and already own Corus (formerly British Steel) and quite a few other well known brands. They haven't messed around with them so why would they mess with Land Rover and Jaguar. Look at it this way, if LR have become an Indian owned company think how many jobs will be created building the cars for a market that currently Land Rover cannot sell into due to protectionism by the Indian Government imposing prohibitive import duties on the products. Hopefully LR will now have access to development money that Ford has been depriving them of in order to rescue their US arm.
So long as the cars continue to have "Made In Britain" labels in them I keep buying them, but if they start making them in India then I'll have to buy a Honda CRV as that is the only other SUV made in the UK as far as I know! How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #11340 6th Dec 2007 5:49 pm
Pete S.

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

I'm within four months of buying a F2, the deal is lined up, it's just a matter of timing for financial reasons. However, I must confess to a doubt creeping into my mind - not about the car, it is fantastic and despite being very expensive I love it. No, it is this sell off thing. What if TATA (presumably) decide to transfer production to India? It could be Rover all over again and I will be left with a vehicle I can't sell for anywhere near a reasonable price-less-depreciation. I also think that with LR image is important (i.e. Britishness) and although it has been owned by Americans for 7 years at least they were Ford which has British connections. India? Nope, it doesn't do it for me. I am seriously considering holding fire to see what happens - and if I'm doing that, how many other potential buyers are feeling the same? I still can't belive Ford want to sell this iconic world leading brand.

Post #12026 21st Dec 2007 3:06 pm
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
don't panic

Pete S ... surely you've answered your own concern. Why on earth would Tata buy LR including world class factories, and then risk all by making a wholesale production move to India. No labour cost advantage would be worth that risk! Rolling Eyes  Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #12029 21st Dec 2007 3:50 pm
Pete S.

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

I desperately hope you are right Nick. I've followed this vehicle since development, through the launch at Excel, a couple of off road experience days to the point of purchase. However, this is a major investment for us so I'm a touch apprehensive. My sister bought a Rover just before that went bang.... Thud

I've got till April before I need to buy so we'll see if there are any developments. Hopefully Land Rover will be able to make a statement soon.

Post #12036 21st Dec 2007 4:17 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

There has been something replease today saying the TATA are the prefered purchasers, but nothing will now happen till the new year,

So I would look again in the motor new in January/February Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #12038 21st Dec 2007 4:31 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Extract taken from Hindustan Times newspaper:-

Quote:
India Inc is shopping in style. Car makers Ford is set to announce the Tata Group as the preferred bidder for its iconic Jaguar and Land Rover within a fortnight, according to insiders in the deal. The deal is likely to be inked for £1 billion.

The Sunday Times, UK, reported on December 16 that the Tatas are likely to be declared the winners within a fortnight.

Ford’s picking Tata would be historic because it would be the first time a major Western car group is bought by an Indian company.
Last week, three bidders — the Tatas, Mahindras and American buyout group One Equity — were left in the race. It was reported that the trade unions had favoured the Tatas with 46 per cent backing and that strengthened their chances of emerging as the most favoured. Jaguar and Land Rover operations in Britain are based in Wales, and so are some factories of steel giant Corus, which Tata recently bought.

A Welsh government spokesperson told HT that the news was most welcome. “We are very happy with the group here. We hope that more business will come as the Tatas are expected to set up more units for components of the cars. It will boost employment here.” She said the Corus trade unions were satisfied with the management.

The deal is said to be for about £1 billion but the exact amount could change once Tata is declared the preferred bidder. Tata sources refused to comment. But Tatas may have to negotiate a settlement with the pension trustees and also ensure that Ford continues to maintain regular supply of components and engines.

Post #12043 21st Dec 2007 6:20 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Supply of engines shouldn't be too much of a problem - when Ford bought LR from BMW they had an agreement to take enough engines to keep production rolling for about 3 years - that's why Freelander1 was able to use the BMW 2.0ltr TD engine and the FFRR was able to go on with the TD6 and 4.4lt V8 - all BMW engines. Ford are so desperate for money that they will keep supplying engines for as long as it takes Tata to develope their own. One thing that does worry me was that when Ford put Aston Martin on the market they refused to sell to the Chinese because they would have had to have sold the Chinese some very important technology.......................... I just hope that Ford is not going withhold technology from Land Rover and Jaguar to put into it's own range of SUV's that are in the pipeline or into the forthcoming Volvo SUVs like BMW did with quite a lot of LR's technology when they sold out to Ford.......................... How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #12044 21st Dec 2007 6:44 pm
upnaway

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Baltic Blue

Just a few thoughts:-Why buy something for over $2bn if you intend to mutton it up. The guys at L/R have been bought and sold more often than your average peerage, so i can't imagine them being much faized by it. In fact they maybe looking forward to getting away from U.S. governance, SOX and all that. After all would you want to be tied to an owner who is really in the stickey stuff.
The 2.2 diesel engine is a Peugeot unit built to L/R spec and in the past L/R have bought engines from others. VM diesel and BMW in 38A Range Rover before their ownership.
StevenA, Beware, I believe the 1st 6 months of Tiguan production comes only with the car like bumper, the 'off road'? bumper to give improved approach angles is a later launch. I could not imagine buying a car with such a silly name but I suppose it is better than Toerag. still pining for my 3dr, no removeable hardtop, no drop glass tailgate, no roof rack, no pockets everywhere to stow all that man kit

Post #12045 21st Dec 2007 8:39 pm
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

upnaway wrote:
I could not imagine buying a car with such a silly name but I suppose it is better than Toerag.

It is Touareg. Which is a fantastic car, by the way. The only other SUV that can compete with Land Rover off the road. The other SUV's cant, but Touareg can. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #12046 21st Dec 2007 9:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>