Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Where/how can I channel wires through bulkhead?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
IRSnuff

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Narvik Black
Where/how can I channel wires through bulkhead?

I'm going to be fitting my Amateur radio into my freelander 2 and need to wire it directly to the battery. Can anyone tell me is there an existing and easily accessible hole through the bulkhead into the cabin which I can channel the cables?

Cheers,

Ian

Post #146081 18th Jun 2012 12:39 pm
IRSnuff

Just to let people know, I have now been shown a way through the bulkhead after visiting PVH Landrovers in Stokesley near to where I live. If you stand facing the car with bonnet up, and follow a section of the wiring loom which curves around the inside of the suspension spring bodywork and goes into the bulkhead through a grommet. At the top of this grommet is a small rubber nipple which can be cut off to allow wires to be fed into the cabin and is used for things like emergency vehicle lighting and such. So there you go Thumbs Up

Post #147031 28th Jun 2012 12:14 pm
EYorkshire

Thanks for that, for a future project I was wondering on how to get through the bulkhead. Thumbs Up

Post #147041 28th Jun 2012 1:15 pm
IRSnuff

May of helped if I mentioned the grommet I was talking about was on the top left of the bulkhead as your facing the car..... Mr. Green

Post #147070 28th Jun 2012 3:48 pm
johnny_22_83

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

Maybe these photos will help

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #147121 29th Jun 2012 6:41 am
mudslinger

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black
Re: Where/how can I channel wires through bulkhead?

IRSnuff wrote:
I'm going to be fitting my Amateur radio into my freelander 2 and need to wire it directly to the battery. Can anyone tell me is there an existing and easily accessible hole through the bulkhead into the cabin which I can channel the cables?

Cheers,

Ian

Hi , did this on my previous freelander , you can take out the glove box(gives you more room )and there is enough space to put some 10 mm squared twin red and black through the bulkhead (bit fidley but do able with CARE..!!)
Are you going to run h/f or vhf /uhf and if so can also give you some ant mounting tips as well I belong to a local Raynet group and lots of us with landrovers .
P M ME IF YOU WANT SOME DETAILED STUFF Wales
Were the mud is thicker, and the ruts are deeper.
(And we have the water to wash it off, and more on the way..! )
Sd4 and chrome Ar*e piece, Auto box for best fun
09 Xs Gone
12 xs Gone
HSE with Leather seats and 4 years warrenty.. staying for now !

Post #147122 29th Jun 2012 6:56 am
v40mav

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Tambora Flame

Mudslinger any pics would be great. I have plenty ways for the radios in the defender but want to put a radio in the other half's freelander. As at times we are both out at events ( raynet and motorsport) Ideally want to use either the yaesu 8900 ot a kenwood with the main radio mounted in the back onto the cargo barrier and using the remote head.

Where can the be easily mounted.

One of the other local guys says he has run the power from the fuse box in the back. Personally I'd want to use same set up as we have in the other vehicles and put in a power pole distribution board so that kit can be swapped easily. Disco 3 HSE

Defender Puma 110

Freelander 2 HSE

Post #147231 30th Jun 2012 12:25 pm
mudslinger

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black
Where/how can I channel wires through bulkhead?

v40mav wrote:
Mudslinger any pics would be great. I have plenty ways for the radios in the defender but want to put a radio in the other half's freelander. As at times we are both out at events ( raynet and motorsport) Ideally want to use either the yaesu 8900 ot a kenwood with the main radio mounted in the back onto the cargo barrier and using the remote head.

Where can the be easily mounted.

One of the other local guys says he has run the power from the fuse box in the back. Personally I'd want to use same set up as we have in the other vehicles and put in a power pole distribution board so that kit can be swapped easily.

Right hopefully the weather will play ball next week no garage so all has to be done out doors .

1. first time on previous freelander 2 ran the cable from top behind the glove box
(removed glove box to make life easier..)
and used good old coat hanger wire (nice safe loop on the end to not puncture anything ..!!)
pushed through from the inside into lower engine compartment VERY CAREFULLY..!!
wire taped to coathanger

10 mins all sorted ran wire to back of battery box

2. Make sure 2 fuses one in each line pos and neg .
(I prefer removable fuses so dealer can,t get shirty.. ohh extra wiring ..non standard could cause a fire
untill no direct connection -no fuses !)

3 . Having a total revamp this time , got a RIGrunner 404u
(1 input 4 outlets plus 2 usb ports handy for phones or digi comms ect ect )
40 amp input 2x25 amp 1x 10 amp 1x5 amp 1x 1 amp for usb

4. separate 110 amp Battery in battery box, to be located in boot secured by heavyweight bungies ..!!
quick connect terminals on battery box
various outputs including 1x cigar outlet, and battery management system .
this all connected with power poles,to radios , generators /mains power as needed .
so can run variety of H/F, Vhf/UHF, and ability to charge mobile phones or other kit
all bought, now just needs assembling ... need a dry day or 2
also have home made antenna mount for atas 120, via bolt for roofrails d/s rear and passenger side rail also extra earth on passenger side hinge for tailgate (same pattern as d/side)

will take photo,s and put up a parts list, need some decent weather first..!! Cool Bow down

(anyone good at Rain dancing ..??) Wales
Were the mud is thicker, and the ruts are deeper.
(And we have the water to wash it off, and more on the way..! )
Sd4 and chrome Ar*e piece, Auto box for best fun
09 Xs Gone
12 xs Gone
HSE with Leather seats and 4 years warrenty.. staying for now !

Post #147237 30th Jun 2012 2:15 pm
alex_pescaru

johnny_22_83 wrote:
Maybe these photos will help

You should only punch that grommet with the wire, not remove it completely...

Post #147241 30th Jun 2012 3:02 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Passing a wire through a hole in metal not protected/lined with a grommet will lead to the wire abraiding and possible shorting out though?

Post #147335 1st Jul 2012 9:34 am
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

I fitted my Yaesu FT8900 in the boot of my FL2 under the floor next to the spare wheeland used a spare fuse in the rear fuse box. I then ran the remote head cable through to the centre consol so it does not even look as though a radio is fitted. I know normally you should run the cables direct to the battery but my set up works perfectly. I use a magmount for the short Watson antenna and reception/transmission is fine. John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #147590 3rd Jul 2012 8:44 pm
v40mav

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Tambora Flame

JST wrote:
I fitted my Yaesu FT8900 in the boot of my FL2 under the floor next to the spare wheeland used a spare fuse in the rear fuse box. I then ran the remote head cable through to the centre consol so it does not even look as though a radio is fitted. I know normally you should run the cables direct to the battery but my set up works perfectly. I use a magmount for the short Watson antenna and reception/transmission is fine.

John - any chance of a pic of where you have put the head unit - in the front

I had thought of putting in front of the Sat nav screen but the Boss says no - - I've not really found a place that i'm happy with. Disco 3 HSE

Defender Puma 110

Freelander 2 HSE

Post #147604 3rd Jul 2012 10:02 pm
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

Sorry, on holiday in France at the moment without the radio head unit so no pics. However, I put the head unit in the cup holder area between the front seats using black velcro on the part that holds the head unit. The cable to the tranceiver runs under the passenger seat then under the plastic trim along the sill and into the boot. When you unplug the head unit and put it in the glove compartment nobody would know you had a radio at all and this installation does not damage the car in any way.

I also use an extension speaker but I find I can still leave it in the boot and hear it perfectly well. John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #147867 6th Jul 2012 2:07 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Mona Geeza wrote:
Passing a wire through a hole in metal not protected/lined with a grommet will lead to the wire abraiding and possible shorting out though?

Dead right. And I've seen some terrible damage caused by 'thermal event's.

Never ever pass electrical cables through a bulkhead without a grommet. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #148076 8th Jul 2012 7:23 pm
vu2cpl

India 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Fuji White

Hi,
I am in India and owns a FL2 SE MY11.

I am also planning to do the same. But I am planning to tap into the power loom for power (15A which goes to the trailer aux power socket). I put a 15A fuse in the corresponding fuse holder and verified there is power coming to this connector.

For antenna mount I have used a Nagoya RRB400B mount on the tail gate lip close to the right hinge for tailgate ( where there is a ground wire already connected which I can use for antenna ground as well. The cabe (RG58) goes through an unused grommet near to this hinge and into the body through another rubber tube which already carries the wire loom for high level tail gate. The rest of the cable routing, I have requested the local dealership to help me with. My plan is to get the coax cable into the area below the tray on left side ( where power connector is also present). The 3 now bolts can be used for negative terminal and also for mounting the radio. The radio is a Yaesu dual bander with removable face plate. I am still not sure about where to fit the face plate.

ANy pictures of installations will be greatly appreciated. I shall post some of mine in a day or two.

Regards
Manoj

Post #152764 29th Aug 2012 8:53 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>