« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Dealer Service or Other Garage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
apc67

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Dealer Service or Other Garage

Fellas my first service is due on my Freelander, Harwoods Basingstoke want £382 however service4service.co.uk quote £282, guarantee to use genuine parts and state that the Warranty will be protected. Have any of you used them before, would you use them against the 'Stealers' high prices?

Post #146024 17th Jun 2012 8:01 pm
ad210358

England 

Tell Harwoods what you have been quoted, chances are they will price match Thumbs Up

Post #146025 17th Jun 2012 8:20 pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 

OK, I'm guessing that your's is coming up for a year old and its your hard earned cash that paid (or is paying) for it. So you shelled out a load on a car and you are now quibling over a price difference that amounts to a tank and a half of diesel. I'd always stick with main dealers for new car services; yes they charge more, but you also get a load of free warranty work and software upgrades that the local greasemonkey won't be able to offer. Also, when (becasue these are LandRovers) something goes wrong, you will get less sympathy from the customer services folks at LR for going outside the dealer network. My car goes to the dealer for these reasons.

And no, I a not employed by a motor dealership or the trade - far from it!

Post #146026 17th Jun 2012 8:24 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Stick with the dealer. I was tempted to use Shardlow 4x4 centre instead of LR for my first service but if you ever want to sell the FL2 or part chop, then full LR service history will carry a lot more clout.

Also, if you have any faults out of warranty, LR give a goodwill gesture (part payment) but they won't if the FL2 has been serviced elsewhere. My tactic was to ring different dealers to get the best price and then ring the dealership I bought from and I got them to match. I saved £60 by doing this.

Wait until you get your 2nd service quotes which is a major service Shocked Laughing LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #146027 17th Jun 2012 8:29 pm
flylr

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

You have to admit LR really go to town on the sevicing charges.

My advice is to get a quote from an Independent dealer and then go back to Land Rover to get them to reduce the price. They may not match it but at least you will get a cheaper deal.

Worked for me anyway at 2 seperate dealerships. (Coming) 2016 RR Evoque td4 180 HSE Dynamc
(Going) 2013 TD4 GS Auto - Santorini Black with black leather. Cold Climate, UK Lighting & Armrest Packs. Privacy Glass. LR Rubber Mats. Full size spare.
60 000 miles averaging 35mpg

(Gone) 2010 TD4 Manual GS - Stornoway Grey. Sold at 3yrs old & 64k miles. Final average consumption 39.2mpg.

Post #146033 17th Jun 2012 9:07 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

Andy S wrote:
OK, I'm guessing that your's is coming up for a year old and its your hard earned cash that paid (or is paying) for it. So you shelled out a load on a car and you are now quibling over a price difference that amounts to a tank and a half of diesel. I'd always stick with main dealers for new car services; yes they charge more, but you also get a load of free warranty work and software upgrades that the local greasemonkey won't be able to offer. Also, when (becasue these are LandRovers) something goes wrong, you will get less sympathy from the customer services folks at LR for going outside the dealer network. My car goes to the dealer for these reasons.

And no, I a not employed by a motor dealership or the trade - far from it!

I would agree with Andy

Iain

Post #146058 18th Jun 2012 9:01 am
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

stick with the dealer supply ur own parts and oil Thumbs Up just get a labour price off them Whistle if you go to an independant gararge under the block exemption it can carry consiquences ie if you vehicle has just run out of warranty and somthing expensive goes wrong l/r may not help you towards some of the cost Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #146062 18th Jun 2012 9:34 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey
Re: Dealer Service or Other Garage

apc67 wrote:
Fellas my first service is due on my Freelander, Harwoods Basingstoke want £382 however service4service.co.uk quote £282, guarantee to use genuine parts and state that the Warranty will be protected. Have any of you used them before, would you use them against the 'Stealers' high prices?

M J Fews at Charfield near Wootton Under edge are doing 20% off service for the month of June. Probably an hour or so from you but they do supply a courtesy car. Just had my 3year service done at £270.

Tenet MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #146083 18th Jun 2012 3:00 pm
iain cooper

Re: Dealer Service or Other Garage

tenet wrote:
apc67 wrote:

M J Fews at Charfield near Wootton Under edge are doing 20% off service for the month of June. Probably an hour or so from you but they do supply a courtesy car. Just had my 3year service done at £270.

Tenet

£270 is very good, is that with your MOT included ?

Iain

Post #146084 18th Jun 2012 3:56 pm
asinrute

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

Quote:

My Freelander is due a 5 year service, I phoned my local dealer, who have serviced the vehicle in the past, and asked them for a quote, they quoted £400 inc a 'free' MOT. I told them to make a provisional booking but I was going to get some more prices.

I found this web site, http://www.maindealer.com they quoted a price of £261 using exactly the same main dealer on exactly the same date. I phoned the dealer back and told them to cancel my provisional booking, they asked why so I explained. They then said if I used them directly they would reduce their price to £265.
So in one call I reduced the price by £135 and they said they would supply a courtesy car. Some price reduction that!! and I still get the stamp in my book FL2 HSE Sumatra black with body kit

Last edited by asinrute on 18th Jun 2012 7:08 pm. Edited 4 times in total

Post #146091 18th Jun 2012 7:00 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I would agree with andys as well.
I hate paying the dealer prices but for L/R its an easy get out of jail card if anything goes wrong out of warranty !
if its sympathy you will be looking for then stick with the stealer.

Post #146092 18th Jun 2012 7:01 pm
apc67

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Result - phoned Harwoods, explained that their original quote of £386 was bettered by an independent garage quoting £282, they agreed to match the price so I'm going with Harwoods - £290 inc courtesy car and some additional warranty work as well.

Happy days!

Post #146095 18th Jun 2012 7:13 pm
ad210358

England 

Usually works Thumbs Up

Post #146101 18th Jun 2012 7:30 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Stick with the dealer.
I've had some expensive work done out of warranty and L/R contributed towards the cost.
No main dealer service = no out of warranty contribution from L/R Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #146122 18th Jun 2012 9:51 pm
iain cooper

asinrute wrote:
Quote:

My Freelander is due a 5 year service, I phoned my local dealer, who have serviced the vehicle in the past, and asked them for a quote, they quoted £400 inc a 'free' MOT. I told them to make a provisional booking but I was going to get some more prices.

I found this web site, http://www.maindealer.com they quoted a price of £261 using exactly the same main dealer on exactly the same date. I phoned the dealer back and told them to cancel my provisional booking, they asked why so I explained. They then said if I used them directly they would reduce their price to £265.
So in one call I reduced the price by £135 and they said they would supply a courtesy car. Some price reduction that!! and I still get the stamp in my book

incredible drop in price, really makes a mockery out of the "standard" service charges and it's as if they are plucking a price out of the air !! ( and they still must be making a profit )

maybe LPR could comment on how the prices can vary so much, as I really do not understand it ??

Iain

Post #146144 19th Jun 2012 9:13 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>