Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > FL1 or FL2?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
tatters

FL1 or FL2?

I need some advice..... I currently drive a golf estate, which is a good car - but is going to the parents (that's my excuse, anyway). I'm a rural GP & live in the sticks, rarely do city driving and have had a few scares on back roads with ice.... and think a 4x4 might be a good idea. I like the idea of playing off road as well but I suppose I don't "need" to do it.......

I'd love a FL2 but it's a lot of cash & I'm sure I wouldn't use all it's capabilities.

One reason for considering a Land Rover is tha,t all being well, I would keep it far longer than any other car.

But the FL2 fuel consumption is an issue...

Would I be better off with an FL1? - cheaper, better fuel consumption, probably still do all I need - but reliability & ability less good (I presume, anyway).

(Other options I've considered are Audi AllRoad (as expensive, worse depreciation, less capability), XC70, Honda CR-v (too chelsea tractor-like......)

Thanks

(Incidentally it also has to do a fair few motorway miles - total yearly mileage about 25,000)

Post #11001 30th Nov 2007 11:57 pm
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
FL2

Hi Tatters,

Most of my driving is rural or semi rural, and I bought my first 4 x 4 for similar reasons to you. I traded in an old Disco TDI for a FL2 SE Auto in July, so improving my fuel economy.

From my experince I would have no hesitation in recommending you opt for the FL2, with the wonderful auto gearbox box if you can run to that. It is a total dream to drive in any conditions, on and off road. Why not enjoy driving your 25,000 miles per year? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

As for the FL1, definately not in the running from my perspective, unreliable, cramped (by comparison), out of date. LR designed the FL2 from scratch with no previous parts included ... for very good reasons I'm sure!! Razz

Go for it Doc! Thumbs Up
 Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #11005 1st Dec 2007 1:10 am
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Friend of mine has FL1 which has just blown a head gasket.

Personally I wouldn't touch an FL1.

Post #11020 1st Dec 2007 11:01 am
Nazca Sand Eddie

United Kingdom 

I owned a FL1 diesel automatic, new from Sept 2004, until I part exchanged it for a new FL2 diesel automatic, in June 2007.

The FL1 was fault free for the 30k miles, and we were really delighted with its performance on and off road.

The FL2 so far in its 4K miles is all of the above, but more so.

I haven't noticed much difference in fuel consumption, but the FL2 is v e r y much quicker in acceleration, not that the FL1 was slow.

I also benefit, all be it at a price, three years of warranty, both in the UK and abroad.

Post #11024 1st Dec 2007 12:00 pm
gmcowan

Scotland 

Hi,

I had a TD4 manual FL1. It was reliable for me. I now have a FL2 HSE Auto which is absolutely fantastic. The difference between the 2 is huge. The FL2 is more roomy, comfortable and has a much better ride and road holding than the last one The brakes are better. The boot of the FL1 is very small and you will find even a small amount of kit fills it. FL2 much better.

The FL2 has a DSC stability programme which the FL1 did not. This is what may make the difference when you hit ice rather than 4x4 specifically.

It is more thirsty than I expected but it seems to be town driving that really hits it hard. The manual is better and from next year there will be a auto stop-start on the manual to make it even better. (though this will really only help in traffic)

It is expensive, but certainly good enough to rationalise as a luxury item - I could have a cheaper car but am willing to pay more to have this one. Other people choose to smoke. I don't (and neither should you!)

I suggest you speak nicely to your local dealer and try and use one for the day. You'll see if you like it and get an idea for the fuel economy in your usage.

I'm sure if you get one you will be volunteering for all the house calls in the practice just so you can get out driving.

Actually as a GP, surely the issue is not the cost but can you fit golf clubs in it. (TFIC) Razz Razz Razz

Gordon

Post #11025 1st Dec 2007 12:02 pm
radney1303

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I had a couple of FL1 and found them great cards, I never had any problems with either.

The FL2 is obviously a better car but as you say is a lot more expensive, if you can find a late FL1 with the auto box ( v imporatnt) I don't think personlly you will go far wrong.

Post #11031 1st Dec 2007 2:25 pm
tatters

I guess you pay your money & take your pick then..... seems everyone is agreed the FL2 is far better
(but for the record I work part-time in general practice & don't play golf..... it's a mountain bike on the roof!).

Nick, what MPG are you getting - sounds you drive a similar set of roads?

Thanks

Post #11063 2nd Dec 2007 12:50 am
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
what mpg am I getting?

Tatters,

Most of the time I'm averaging around 32mpg. My best average has been 34.5mpg on a longer trip, over 200 miles, including motorways and rural roads; however bearing in mind I also had 5 adults on board and a full load of luggage, I thought that was brilliant! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

My worst average is around 29 mpg when I do towns and traffic jams; still not too bad for a vehicle of this type, size and weight, me thinks. As mentioned in other strings, it's quite possible to squeeze a few more miles out of your gallon (or litre) if you use command shift rather than full auto, or of course if you drive like a pussy! Laughing

Obviously the manual gearbox FL2 gives you a higher mpg, but I wouldn't trade my auto for a manual whatever the mpg difference. Having driven both, there is no comparison! Thumbs Up
 Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #11065 2nd Dec 2007 2:26 am
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Used to own an FL1 and now have the FL2. For me there is just no comparison between the two. The FL2 is so much better in every respect: ride, handling, space, technology, terrain responce etc. Plus I just couldn't live with the possibility of a head gasket going off. So my vote is for the FL2 Thumbs Up (and that's despite all the problems I have with mine Big Cry ).

Post #11069 2nd Dec 2007 6:27 am
muddywheels

England 

I had a Diesel FL1 and thought it was great but the boot was a bit cramped - I got 36 Mpg and it never let me down - 100% reliable.

My friend had a Petrol FL1 and had loads of problems.

I now have the FL2 - it is leagues ahead of the FL1 and if you can run to the extra cost I would go for it. I considered an FL1 this time but the deal I got meant I only forked out the cost of a second hand FL1 now and got a new FL2 so I am happy. Thumbs Up

My Mpg was 34-35 Mpg but has dropped to 32 in the cold now. I usually buy Auto but went for the manual for economy this time.

Post #11080 2nd Dec 2007 12:13 pm
scotster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

And dont forget Tatters that the list price is not what you pay....unless you want to Rolling Eyes

You should easily be able to get around 10% off.
I ordered mine mid September and got 10% off on a GS with sunroof and leather which of course is a nice saving. I got a broker (cant remember the name but they who work with Stratstones) into a one on one dutch auction with my local delearship. The local dealer eventually backed out. Sratstones delivered the car a little over 2 months later. Bish-bash-bosh.

I've had the car 3 weeks and love the looks of it (added 12 spoke HSE alloys and a spoiler from ebay) and the whole sit up high king of the road feeling and of course the badge. Fuel economy is not a big deal for me as I do only 9K per year.

Aside from those plus points (and they were the winning points for me) a CRV (the other car I test drove) is better specced (or cheaper), the interior better finished and of course it is proven in terms of reliability. It is less of a Chelsea tractor IMHO - it drives more like a salloon and doesnt feel as 'big' on the road. Partly due to the fact that you cant see the horrible bum faced bonnet. Which is also the reason I decided against the CRV. The CRV is Fugly from the front and the LR2 looks sublime.

No idea about the FL1 apart from the fact it was a pig in terms of relaibility - so I would never touch one.
Touch wood on the FL2. '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #11094 2nd Dec 2007 4:52 pm
gmcowan

Scotland 

And a FL2 is much safer according to Euroncap.

Post #11136 3rd Dec 2007 4:48 pm
pelyma

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

One point I would make 4x4 is not going to help if you loose traction on a surface like ice. Do not view it as some invisible saftey net it isn't. DSC isn't going to save your bacon, all it will do is back your power off if it thinks you are going to crash. The TR settings will help you find traction in slippery conditions, but 4x0 is 0. Both models will give you plenty of capability, but one is light years ahead in comfort and refinement, but then it is a lot more expensive. I have had the original Fl1 with the perkins engine, the Td4 engine, the 1.8 petrol and now we have a TD4 all have been reliable, but the latest is the best of them!

My advice is go and drive a Fl1 then drive a Fl2 and see if you think the extra money is worth it. D4 HSE Lux for me
FL2 HSE Zermatt & Alpacca for the wife now gone
Skoda Yeti L&K for the wife.

Post #11189 4th Dec 2007 6:24 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Tatters....had the FL1 and the FL2 manual................FL1 manual was great motor.....yeh slow, bit agricultural inside, leaky boot, face lift vesion no better, myt heater matrix went after 92K.

FL2 manual Jan 07 loads of electrical issues on the HSE, but great mpg if driven like Miss Daisy Laughing Laughing Thumbs Up 46+mpg was best

Buy back HSE auto picked up in Sept 07..........................still big smile on my face, worse mpg , to be realistic expect 30-34mpg..........pretty good i'd say

Been off raod great Thumbs Up just want some snow now

Post #11212 4th Dec 2007 10:58 pm
tatters

Thanks for the replies - I take the point about the ice - maybe I'm just using that as an excuse. Trying to justify wanting a FL2! Guess I'll just have to wait a little longer to save uo!

Post #11232 4th Dec 2007 11:32 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>