« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > End of an era!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
End of an era!

Well, after 14 years of an excellent era of my 2009 TD4 HSE having toured England, Scotland and Europe with zero breakdowns and 100% reliability and all the rest, tomorrow ends all that.

I have been in search now for a low mileage well kept Freelander SD4 and to be honest there are many out there but when you find, investigate and trudge through history some don’t come up trumps, but please don’t take offence all of you who have recently found their gold mine, well certainly I didn’t.

I did set my heart on one recently in Derbyshire at a local dealer, but the ghost in the cupboard came out when I did an MOT history search. What a shocker when the news came back that this particular one was once on cloned plates plus a sordid history. This one was Santorini black just like mine. So I thought no one would notice my change over. Until next paragraph!

So a visit to the main dealer where I took the plunge and purchased a Discovery sport D240 HSE complete with its fold away tow ball. Having an excellent trade in on my well loved and cared for child of mine!

Yes I well know about the Ingenium engine and all it’s faults but this deal is not one to let go, with factory warranty and all the rest.
Possibly I will be posting a for sale notice on the freelander 2 dog guard plus all other bits and bobs which someone might find a home for which are all genuine LR parts.

Post #431400 3rd Apr 2023 10:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

how many miles had your TD4 done ?

My SD4 is 8 years old with 56K on the clock - im hoping for another 8 years at least ? Laughing Jules

Post #431416 4th Apr 2023 11:28 am
davyboy

End of an era

Hi Jules sorry for the late reply my current mileage as of this email is 156621, just removing all the last of personal items from the car then we’re off to the dealer.

After 14 years of ownership I can honestly say that the freelander 2 is the best car I have ever owned, just hope this next one is as good as?

Just wait and see I suppose

It is a bit emotional though I just hope the next owner is good to her😩.

Post #431423 4th Apr 2023 2:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Good news is the DS D240 is a very different beast to the run of the mill D180. Different exhaust architecture that means it doesn't dilute the oil like the D180 (or D150). Towing is fun, even up to the 2,200kg limit.

Brakes are larger so you may struggle to get replacement parts - took three attempts to get the right rear discs for mine. No Haldex or rear differential Very Happy it has the GKN active driveline.

Fuel tank is tiny as they nicked about 14 litres for the Adblue tank, speaking of which she does like a drink of Adblue, mine does around 300 miles per litre but the old D180 did more like 2,000 miles per litre. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #431444 4th Apr 2023 10:21 pm
davyboy

End of an era

Thanks Andy, I’m glad you mentioned the oil dilution issue as I was going to change the engine oil and filter mid LR servicing to aid the crank and cams etc.
Regarding the brakes the dealer has replaced all four discs and pads plus although early have done a mot test which expires next April.

I think Iv had an excellent deal as I got excellent trade in allowance for my freelander plus a slight discount on the price of the DS, plus extended warranty from LR, time will tell on the quality ie faults etc.

Leaving my 14year old motor on the carpark was very emotional but whoever buys it from a trader will realise they have a bargain with 11 months mot plus the cambelt and WP.

The DS drives exceptionally well and very quiet plus the added torque which is quick.
Thank you again for your comments.

Post #431445 4th Apr 2023 11:33 pm
Kot

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Re: End of an era!

davyboy wrote:

I have been in search now for a low mileage well kept Freelander SD4 and to be honest there are many out there but when you find, investigate and trudge through history some don’t come up trumps, but please don’t take offence all of you who have recently found their gold mine, well certainly I didn’t.

Tell me about it!!!! Had 5 test drives and numerous Nationwide calls, requested copies of service history lol some did, most didn't bother to reply. Looked at 2012+ looked at dealers and private. Most just have A & B services no mention of 3Y brake fluid or 6Y brake hose replacements and 7Y timing belt, look of total ignorance??? some have timing belt done but not the tensioner or idler pulley/water pump and oh sir it doest mention the water pump!!! in the JLR service detail.
Most have MOT advisories going on 3+ years. What's wrong with people?

Finally found something, SD4 private, HSE 62 plate, below average mileage negotiated a good price taking into account missed 7Y etc to get this work done, already had a quote for owner to view, as it has full service history but needs timing belt and water pump etc and auto gearbox oil change. To be honest he is a good guy, just believe's what his local garage say's (and seen it on several cars I have enquired on) and they (the garage) all pull the oh its not needed till 112000 miles!!!! but when told "its 7Y whichever is soonest"-- I can imagine the sigh lol. So when inquired about the timing belt etc owner had already contacted his garage for a quote so the price reduction was not challenged.

So just shows you what you get at your corner garage, you would think they would be more switched on, lots of cars out there serviced under a mileage regime, when Yearly clearly takes precedence 9 times out of 10.

Also lots of dealers and Private owners with stupid inflated prices, they will get a shock soon when all the London vehicles start hitting the market.

Post #431862 19th Apr 2023 11:37 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White
Re: End of an era

davyboy wrote:
Thanks Andy, I’m glad you mentioned the oil dilution issue as I was going to change the engine oil and filter mid LR servicing to aid the crank and cams etc.
Regarding the brakes the dealer has replaced all four discs and pads plus although early have done a mot test which expires next April.

I think Iv had an excellent deal as I got excellent trade in allowance for my freelander plus a slight discount on the price of the DS, plus extended warranty from LR, time will tell on the quality ie faults etc.

Leaving my 14year old motor on the carpark was very emotional but whoever buys it from a trader will realise they have a bargain with 11 months mot plus the cambelt and WP.

The DS drives exceptionally well and very quiet plus the added torque which is quick.
Thank you again for your comments.

Hope you read this and you haven't gone forever.

Now that you have had a couple of weeks driving your DS, can we have a photo or two, and your overall impressions about driving the 240DS.

Thanks FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #431864 19th Apr 2023 12:49 pm
Kot

I had a DS nightmare! with oil dilution among other things. Dont worry he will be back soon Rolling with laughter

Post #431865 19th Apr 2023 2:19 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I think if you choose the right engine you can avoid the oil dilution problem. Jules

Post #431867 19th Apr 2023 4:35 pm
Kot

Yeh petrol Rolling with laughter

Post #431874 19th Apr 2023 6:48 pm
bxzx16v

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

Find a nice early Disco sport with the 2.2 Sd4 engine and autobox, thats what we did. I'm sure you'll be happy with one after your FL2. 2009 FL2 TD4 SE (Sadly gone)
2007 FL2 TD4 GS (The wifes , gone after 8 great years)
2012 FL2 SD4 SPORT LE(Gone and missing it)
2015 DISCOVERY SPORT 2.2SD4 HSE (For now ?)
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 ecoboost ( Gone but what next )
2014 Ford Focus 2.0tdci Zetec S

Post #431883 19th Apr 2023 9:10 pm
davyboy

End of an era.

Hello Kot, well yes I was slightly concerned regarding the oil dilution with these ingenium engines, but in reflection of that apparently the D240 has not suffered by this issue plus a very good friend of mine is a technician at my local dealer and he said recently the 240 are quite stable regarding faults.
If you had similar in a main dealer who would you trust? People who have had issues in the past and rate them poorly on any motoring forum or a trusted contact? Anyway I have two years factory warranty so if something is going to pear shaped I’m sure landrover would correct it.

I did my research into BMW, Mercedes Porsche but certainly not the Korean manufacturers and they all have problems but with my freelander being 14 years old plus 156k I took the plunge and had the DS.

All I wanted is something reliable which can clearly tow 2200 kgs without problem and I think I made the right choice, if in 12 months something happens plus it’s low miles and exceptional excellent condition I’m sure I would try another LR. Time will tell I suppose but please do not judge a book by its cover as they say!

The DS drives absolutely perfect plus it tows my weighty caravan with no problem, the only niggle is that the freelander with caravan in tow and a full tank of diesel drove 250 miles and the fuel gauge dropped to 3quarters of a tank, the DS same mileage dropped to half a tank, but in comparison in all I didn’t visit a fuel station with the DS quite so often with the same items etc in the caravan. Just have to monitor the progress

Post #431886 19th Apr 2023 10:11 pm
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Towing is something there is not much discussion about from EV enthusiasts Shocked
Glad you have found another LR that meets your needs Thumbs Up

Post #432182 30th Apr 2023 6:46 pm
NoDo$h

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Towing is something you rarely hear discussed by the majority of motorists Thumbs Up Current driveway contents:
2021 V60 Cross Country B5
2009 FL2 dog bus and shooting wagon

On Order: 2023 Fisker Ocean Ultra - deposit paid.

Post #432187 1st May 2023 9:44 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Towing is something that dictates my choice of car, its the main reason I bought and continue to run landrover products. If I didn't have a big caravan I wouldn't need a landrover although I still think my Freelander will be the last, nothing in the current line up appeals, or to be accurate is affordable! Skoda Superb 4x4 estate is a likely option in years to come. At 104000 miles on the Freelander now so it should last a fair while yet. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #432190 1st May 2023 10:36 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>