Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Sand driving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tatters

Sand driving

I've just got back from Niger, West Africa - on the edge of the Sahara. (Only saw 2 Land Rovers - one defender & one old ish discovery). Every one who drives a 4x4 seems to drive Toyotas. Anyway, driving on sand with the guys there the technique seems to be put your foot down & hope. I don't (yet) have a 4x4 & have no idea (other than feeling a little unsafe!) but can anyone enlighten me - what's the best technique for driving on sand?

Thanks

Post #10590 25th Nov 2007 12:09 am
muddywheels

England 

Hi Tatters

I have bought Land Rovers for years and heard many times that in Africa and Australia Toyota is King because Land Rover are unreliable and in the desert you're life depends on reliability Question Ray Mears likes the Defender best because the technology is simple and can be fixed anywhere - but I guess it doesn't have the comfort.

I had a Landcruiser before my Land Rovers and it gave me more problems and the service was Censored It just shows you should not believe everything you hear Whistle

Driving on Sand requires speed because it flows a bit like water. This was well demonstrated on top gear a few weeks ago when they drove 3 cars accross Africa through a salt pan and a desert. If you go too slow a wedge is created in front of the tyre and you sink. Soft tyres also help to spread the weight. Thumbs Up

Post #10597 25th Nov 2007 11:37 am
Ub2

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Hi Tatters

Sand driving requires a little practice and adjusting to the conditions. Depending on whether you are climbing dunes or running interdunal your technique will vary. In the Simpson desert last year we did both with a trailer behind. While the dunes held a little moisture in the mornings I could get aver all but the steepest in high range 2 or 3 at about 16psi in the tyres but as the sun rose and the sand became drier and powdery I had to drop tyre pressures to about 12psi and use low range 3. Each climb with some momentum to carry me up but not enough to spin the wheels and dig in.

On flats high range is best as it keeps momentum up. On beaches I rarely need to go below about 18psi but the Simpson is a little different unless it has rained. Wink rare.

Mind you this is all NOT in a FL2 but a chipped Pajero 3.2 DiD (think you call them Shoguns) with a 2" lift kit, BFG Mud Terrains, dual battery system, whinchbar, drawer system etc etc for a total of 2.7 tonne before loading up. Worst economy 22L/100km and 104 dunes in a day at 12psi, average for trip 15L/100k. Normal travelling average 12L/100k with trailer. So you can see why I bought FL2 for mainly road use at 8.5-10L/100K with trailer.

Not considering the FL2 out in the Simpson and other rough stuff. Cool Regards Ub2
My first Landie; SE TD4 auto Sunroof, Narvik Black with Alpacca interior, towbar & rear spoiler.

Post #11009 1st Dec 2007 3:51 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1