Home > Technical > N/A
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
ctmundomaya

United Kingdom 
Freelander 2 cold starting Power point

hello to all,

I'm hoping my reply will ensure a reply on my own issue!

I'm an expoerter of Land Rovers to the Aid and development sector for land Rover and despite all the manufacturers back up I still find it v useful to read these pages for 'fixes'

FR2 has an inbuilt cold starting system - not what you would expect but technology based - I have clients in countries starting their vehicles at -40 degrees without problems - but their vehicles have one modification and that is an engine pre-heater - not so much to heat the coolant but more so to heat the coolant to heat a loop under the battery tray - the battery is the first casualty - especially if, like us, you add a fuel tank heating pad that requires a little power to keep the fuel from waxing you need optimum battery performance and heating the base using the fuel burner keep the battery in tip top condition (and yes you need the little bit of power the battery does give out in those temps to start the fuel heater - to warm the battery to warm the tank) the rest is taken care of by the following....

The fuel filter canister is located at the front RH side of the engine compartment.
The fuel temperature sensor is incorporated within the fuel supply line connection on the fuel filter canister.
The sensor provides the ECM with a signal voltage that is proportional to the actual fuel temperature.
The signal is used by the ECM in conjunction with other vehicle sensors, to calculate the actual fuel pressure required in the HP fuel rail.
A bleed screw and drain point are located on the filter body.

The fuel filter features a fuel pre-heat function that operates when the return fuel temperature is below 10°C (50°F).
The pre-heat function recirculates a quantity of return fuel from the HP fuel system through the filter canister to prevent fuel waxing, and improve the engine performance during cold running.

The thermostatic valve is incorporated into the fuel filter assembly
This helps to raise the temperature of the fuel and prevent in-filter waxing

I have a 4 slide powerpoint (god knows how I attach things on this forum!)if it helps - shout and i'll send it to you.

If you know where I can get a decent technical drawing of a FR2 disel fuel tank I'd be very happy and appriciative!

best wishes

[/img]

Post #10663 26th Nov 2007 5:13 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

My parent company is based in Quebec and we regularly discuss the weather. One day the girl in the office said'yeh its cold today' now they never complain about the cold.....she said 'even the preheat is on the car suffered', i asked the temperature......'MINUS 43 centigrade'!!!!!!!!!! Exclamation I dare say an FL2 may be, insert fob, push start button,go back in doors make a coffee, drink coffee, go back outside and then eventually car fires up..........minus 43 Thud

Post #10682 26th Nov 2007 9:35 pm
hants

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

ctmundomaya That is very interesting information.
I had a waxing problem in a Discovery two years ago, while staying up the mountain in the Alps. The car started but there was a huge loss of power. I am a little worried about this happening again with the Freelander 2.

What is the best advice to avoid the problem? What modifications are available and what do they cost?

Do additives like Wynn's Ice Proof for Diesel work?
What's this about 2-stroke oil? is it OK? What proportions?

How do I get a car going once it has waxed up?

Thanks.

Post #10775 28th Nov 2007 12:06 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

hants wrote:

Do additives like Wynn's Ice Proof for Diesel work?
What's this about 2-stroke oil? is it OK? What proportions?

How do I get a car going once it has waxed up?

Thanks.

Good Question Exclamation Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #10784 28th Nov 2007 1:35 pm
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Towing up to a heated garage. Whistle

Post #10813 28th Nov 2007 5:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Very interesting ctmundomaya! Thumbs Up Would definitely like to see Hants' questions answered as well...

Post #10829 28th Nov 2007 9:35 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The best thing is to avoid waxing (flocking of paraphines) of the diesel fuel by adding the dosis of 2-T oil. But the winter-fuel offered in western Europe from November to March does have a reported waxing resistance up to minus 17° C.
Even in deep winter in the alps in Austria with temperatures much below -10° C I have never had problems with waxing, as my fuel-tank always gets its dosis of 2T-oil. Besides this, our Freely 2 has an electrical heated diesel fuel filter to prevent clogging due to waxing.

Once the diesel has waxed and clogged the filter, Paul has the right solution: tow your car into a heated Garage for warm-up.
NEVER use a gas burner under your engine what I have seen in Poland and Russia.

YF

Last edited by yamaha-fan on 29th Nov 2007 7:43 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #10840 29th Nov 2007 7:23 am
yamaha-fan

Carlfraz, minus 43° C is very cold, but a dry cold with a humidity of 10 to 15%. What makes this cold so dangerous is the windshield factor, which will increase the cold as you feel it.
I have lived and worked for 2 years in Saskatchewan in Mid-Canada on an industrial investment assignment, and the coldest temperature I have experienced there was minus 58° C. But all the cars are plugged into the 110V outlet to warm-up the cooling water and the motor oil, as otherwise the cars would not start.
By the way: from certain minus-temperatures onwards you must wear suitable eye-protection, as otherwise the liquid in your eyes will freeze and you face the fair chance to get blind.
How much easier it is in Europe!!!

YF

Post #10841 29th Nov 2007 7:37 am
attox

Italy 

yamaha-fan wrote:
....Besides this, our Freely 2 has an electrical heated diesel fuel filter to prevent clogging due to waxing.

YF

Is the electrical heated fuel filter standard on all models or is part of the optional diesel pre-heater?
Thanks yamaha-fan.

Post #10844 29th Nov 2007 7:49 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

yamaha-fan wrote:
Carlfraz, minus 43° C is very cold, but a dry cold with a humidity of 10 to 15%. What makes this cold so dangerous is the windshield factor, which will increase the cold as you feel it.
I have lived and worked for 2 years in Saskatchewan in Mid-Canada on an industrial investment assignment, and the coldest temperature I have experienced there was minus 58° C. But all the cars are plugged into the 110V outlet to warm-up the cooling water and the motor oil, as otherwise the cars would not start.
By the way: from certain minus-temperatures onwards you must wear suitable eye-protection, as otherwise the liquid in your eyes will freeze and you face the fair chance to get blind.
How much easier it is in Europe!!!

YF

At minus 43° C or 58° C could you through a glass of water into the air and watch is freeze instantly, I saw this once on TV and it was amazing. Shocked

And would your Pee freeze before it hit the floor (if your dared to get frost biten on that area?) or is that just a urban myth?

Thinking of a trip to see Santa in Greenland, when my young sons a little older, I'll have to wait till then to experiance them sort of temperatures.

Coldest I have had was minus 18° C on the top of a mountain in a whiteout whilst snowboarding in Avoriaz, France Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #10853 29th Nov 2007 11:13 am
yamaha-fan

Attox: yes, the heated diesel filter is standard on all Freely 2 and on most modern diesel cars.

npinks: the pee does not freeze befor it hits the ground, as its temperature is near body temperature. You have to pee sometimes if you are on a skodoo (motor-ski) in the middle of nowhere.
But you have to be careful not to freeze your best part before you have packed it safely where it belongs, as your fingers are very stiff....!
Throwing a glass of water in the air does indeed freeze its content immediately. You can watch it.
I had the chance to watch a fire brigade in action at this low temperature, and the burning house they tried to safe has been an ice-house thereafter, and it stayed so for weeks.

YF

Post #10861 29th Nov 2007 11:56 am
joe1978

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

npinks wrote:
Coldest I have had was minus 18° C on the top of a mountain in a whiteout whilst snowboarding in Avoriaz, France

I've been at -32 at the top of Val Thorens in the 3valless, same as you snowboarding!! The moisture on my breathe froze to my feeble attempt at a beard.

back on topic......... Whistle MY11 Fuji white Td4 150 GS straight up no mixer.

Post #10887 29th Nov 2007 3:38 pm
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

So below what temperatures should we not use 2-T oil YF? I thought that 2-T oil totally difuses in diesel or is it not? I have seen -10 here in Greece, would that cause a problem to a diesel FL2? Btw, anyone knows how resistant to cold petrol is? Ah, one more question: say that your diesel fuel does get waxed and you try to start the engine; would that harm the engine or it just wouldn't start, like if you run out of fuel?

Post #10909 29th Nov 2007 8:08 pm
chrisaviss

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Cold starting did seem a bit rough the other day, so I've decided to go for a wee bit o' 2-stroke oil - in my case less than Y-F recommended, but near enough at 30cl, or a tiny bit less. Will let you know.

Post #10923 29th Nov 2007 10:38 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

So 2 degrees in Bedford is not a problem then Exclamation Laughing

Post #10939 30th Nov 2007 12:17 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>