« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > fuel tank sender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
rover60

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue
fuel tank sender

Has anyone changed their fuel tank sender because it has been reading wrong? and does it involve dropping the tank to replace@ 07my Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Baltic Blue,Privacy Glass,Ebony black leather,Land rover detachable towbar,S/S Side bars,Climair wind deflectors,Bramble Rash,

Post #137542 24th Mar 2012 8:11 pm
ad210358

England 

Mine used to read wrong occasionally, it would say 0 Fuel but turn the engine off and restart and was ok, they looked at it at the service, they carried out a number of tests which involved dropping the tank they told me to gain access to the sender unit, no fault found at the tank end, and has never done it since Confused

Post #137553 24th Mar 2012 9:01 pm
rover60

I have had trouble ever since it went for 4 year service I took it in with a full tank and it came out with half a tank I went to see them and they said take it to the garage and see how much I could get in to the tank I could only get a few litres in they said to disconect battery and reset this worked for a time but then started reading wrong took it back and they reset the software but it did not cure the problem I filled it last week and it only reads 3/4s of a tank its a pain and they will only ivestigate if Im paying one minute it a be full the next it will read empty so I think it must be the sender but I think I have to drop the tank to change it Does anyone know whats involved in the tank drop? 07my Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Baltic Blue,Privacy Glass,Ebony black leather,Land rover detachable towbar,S/S Side bars,Climair wind deflectors,Bramble Rash,

Post #137557 24th Mar 2012 9:43 pm
mole

United Kingdom 

My '57 auto shut down when the fuel gauge read zero but had quarter of a tank left. Recovered to Harwoods where new sender unit fitted and has been fine since, two years ago. mole

Post #137611 25th Mar 2012 3:50 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

fl2 has a tanks saddled around the drive shaft and two senders I believe, something over complicated what ever it is. the wiring to the senders has been faulty on earlier cars, too short if I recall.

nice to hear from you again rover60, even if it does mean your car is on the wonk Confused At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #137621 25th Mar 2012 5:24 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Ran out of fuel the other night on the way home from work.
gauge said a third of a tank left - 170 miles range to go. Trip said 470 miles done. It would be nice to think my careful driving style would give 640 miles (42mpg), but evidently it doesn't Big Cry

AA gave up trying to bleed it so it went to our local dealer - who charged £100 to bleed it, not bad considering I jumped the queue and was in and out within the hour, diagnostics showed nothing wrong, unplugged the battery and the gauge went down to zero - filled her back up and she started working again. The gauge has stuck twice in the following 2 weeks, been 4 weeks since it stuck, I fill up at least twice a week.

Dealer said probably sticking float. 3 hours to strip, 1/2 hour to replace, 3 hours to rebuild. looking at £800 for labour and £200 for parts +VAT. The labours the same so if I was going to fix it I would order the sender unit in and change regardless.
Apparently to get at the fuel sender it's a tank out job, this means, propshaft, Haldex and rear axle has to come out, going to wait until the new garage is built at home before I attempt the work. Currently driving around with 10 litres of fuel and a fuel pump/bleeder in the boot.

The only reason I haven't cut a hole in the floor is because she would then leak like a Defender when wading. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #137691 26th Mar 2012 12:53 pm
rover60

been on to team vally and they said they only remove the exhaust propshaft and handbrake cables to remove tank. And I hate to say it but yes cg there is two senders left hand and right hand thanks for the greeting cg but I do pop in regularly to keep a eye on you since you moved over to the dark side 07my Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Baltic Blue,Privacy Glass,Ebony black leather,Land rover detachable towbar,S/S Side bars,Climair wind deflectors,Bramble Rash,

Post #137749 26th Mar 2012 8:10 pm
nicam

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Occasionally my gauge would stick at just under the half level. Was advised by the dealer that it was an expensive operation to get the sensor changed, so used to always reset the trip to zero when I filled up and then refilled around 500 miles regardless of the gauge - never a problem.
If I wanted a true reading I found that a piece of 3x2 timber was just the right weight to prod the tank with from under the offside rear passenger door - and then the float obviously dislodged - accurate reading and all was hunky-dory. Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Post #137842 27th Mar 2012 1:19 pm
rover60

Im sorry but at 32 grand I dont think a piece of 3x2 is the way to go I dont think there is a lot involved its just if you have access to a ramp that makes the job a whole lot easier. I like to jump in to the car and look at my fuel gauge and know if I have to go and top up and not go bashing the tank with a bit of wood 07my Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Baltic Blue,Privacy Glass,Ebony black leather,Land rover detachable towbar,S/S Side bars,Climair wind deflectors,Bramble Rash,

Post #137885 27th Mar 2012 7:12 pm
chicken george

I seem to remember you quite happily bashing your engine tray with a log Whistle

I reckon you should wait a while before fixing it, it may start to work again after a while? At work
At home

Post #137901 27th Mar 2012 8:16 pm
rover60

Its been 8 months already I think if it was going to right it self it would have done by now 07my Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Baltic Blue,Privacy Glass,Ebony black leather,Land rover detachable towbar,S/S Side bars,Climair wind deflectors,Bramble Rash,

Post #137913 27th Mar 2012 9:18 pm
sro

United States 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Zermatt Silver

This happened to me a few months ago after a particularly rough offroading trip. I ran out of gas with the gauge saying 1/2 a tank was left. My guess is that one of the fuel senders was stuck at full while the other one read an accurate reading.

Fuel tank is pretty bashed up, I may replace the whole thing eventually. In the meantime I rely on my odometer and carry around a 5 gallon jerry can. Smile I also bought the Mantec fuel tank guard to prevent this from happening again!

Most of the time now the reading is correct, but occasionally it'll report more fuel than is in the tank (happens about once a month). Installed a hitch, stock roof rack, mantec skid plates, General Grabbers AT2 255/60/R18, and a rear access ladder. Also made a hitch-mount for the winch. Looking to install a front hitch, rooft-top basket, and lift kit.

Tracking modifications and off-road experiences here: http://sam.odio.com/lr2/

Post #137920 27th Mar 2012 10:11 pm
chicken george

don't think this is likely but we once had a tractor revving stationary for hours driving a fan, I jumped in to check the gauge , it said nearly full so I assumed someone else on the farm had refuelled it.

An hour later it ran out of fuel Rolling Eyes when I took the fuel filler off, the tank drew lots of air and uncrushed itself, the gauze in the filler cap was blocked with dust so the tank was vacumming, imploding itself and in the processes jamming the fuel sender float towards the top of the tank. At work
At home

Post #137927 27th Mar 2012 10:31 pm
rover60

Had the fuel sender replaced today and touch wood its reading okay before it went in it was reading over 1/2 a tank when it came out it was between 1/2 and a 1/4 which is about right on the milage I worked it out to be about 110 miles and 20 litres left in the tank 07my Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Baltic Blue,Privacy Glass,Ebony black leather,Land rover detachable towbar,S/S Side bars,Climair wind deflectors,Bramble Rash,

Post #138680 4th Apr 2012 9:24 pm
ad210358

England 

Glad it seems to have solved the problem so far Wink

Post #138695 4th Apr 2012 10:26 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>