« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Finance & Insurance > GAP insurance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Spuddie

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red
GAP insurance

Has anyone had the unfortunate experience of having to claim on it?
If so any problems and who did they buy it off?
Considering a return to invoice policy, dealer wanted £391 at first but has dropped to £350 for 4 years cover.
Any recommendations of other policy providers? 2015 BMW
2012 Freelander 2 GS Red (gone) Sad
2004 Discovery TD5 Landmark Silver (gone)
2000 Freelander XEDi Red (gone)
1996 Discovery 300TDi S Blue (gone)

Post #137243 22nd Mar 2012 10:27 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

contact sponsors MHC Finance

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic9374.html

Post #137249 22nd Mar 2012 11:00 am
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

yes my son had problems there are two types of gap ins the first one realy covers the finance company and in the event of a loss the finance company will be paid out 1st and you get less any acess the balance in my lads case it paid the finance co 2,200 the value of the car was 2,600 less acess of 200 so he got 400 quid.

the next type of gap is a total loss one where the vehicle is replaced in total this is normally dearer to buy but as i undrestand it gives you a new vehicle if yours is written off or stolen and not recoverd,

nfu give free gap ins on a new vehicle for the first two years if you have it insured by them, rainy-city
xs

Post #137251 22nd Mar 2012 11:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

one of the RRS members had GAP and had his vehicle stolen, his insurance company valued it and the GAP people did, the problem was the values were different, because the insurance company was a few grand less than the GAP company, the gap company would only pay the difference between their value and the invoice and the insurance company would only pay their value, He had to find the difference in between the two values, which i believe was a few grand

leedsunited wrote:
Do not under any circumstances buy the Land Rover Dealer Gap insurance, i did and still live to regret it to this day, car stolen insurance company say it is worth 26K invoice was 36K so expect GAP to pay the difference - Oh no GAP say it is worth 29K and will not pay anything other than the difference between 29 and 36, told me to go away and negotiate the higher settlement with my insurer if i wanted to have the full 36K back, total con Evil or Very Mad

from this thread
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic19389.html

Post #137260 22nd Mar 2012 12:19 pm
Spuddie

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Thanks for that info. Thumbs Up Helps making my mind up regarding dealer GAP insurance. 2015 BMW
2012 Freelander 2 GS Red (gone) Sad
2004 Discovery TD5 Landmark Silver (gone)
2000 Freelander XEDi Red (gone)
1996 Discovery 300TDi S Blue (gone)

Post #137295 22nd Mar 2012 5:02 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I had Gap on a jaguar that was written off at 18 months old. It was some months of Hell trying to get them to pay the original invoice price! They tried to wiggle out every which way. Always make sure you have photo evidence of condition of car, serice history and prepare for battle. I did get brandnew replacement in the end but the hassle took the she shine away. It did save me 11 k.
I had to produce the service bill to prove it had been serviced, and every photo I had taken of the car during its 18 months to make sure it was looked after !
They didnt pay out the 1000 quid it cost to have the jaguar tow bar fitted as this was fitted 3 days after the original invoice was paid.

In fact I had so much hassle with the GAP insurance, that my dealer contacted Jaguar finance, turned out jaguar had sold the policy on to AON, but take my hat off to Jaguar, within hours of the dealer contacting Jaguar , Jaguar themselves offered to pay the difference and said they would then fight the claim with AON.

Much better service from Jaguar and attentive than I have ever received from Landrover !
Would I recommend GAP, YES but just be aware of how you may be questioned at length as if your a criminal !
My car was written off after it was hit very hard from behind on a motorway, by an inattentive driver !

Last edited by oldgeezer on 24th Mar 2012 10:55 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #137307 22nd Mar 2012 7:22 pm
Lee Howe

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Narvik Black

I bought a brand new Renault Clio from a main dealer and was offered GAP insurance which I didn't take out and had the car on Renault finance. I wrote the car off after 6 months.

When I phone the finance company up to tell them it had been written off they said not to worry as I had GAP insurance, I explained that I didn't and the woman on the phone said basically it's a bit of a con when they ask you to take it out with Renault as if you dont, they take it out on your behalf and pay it themselfs!

So the insurance company made an offer, which I had to submit to the GAP insurance company. The accepted the offer and paid off the differance between what the insurance company paid and what was left on the finance.

Post #137439 23rd Mar 2012 8:14 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1