Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
The Villager

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey
Car Faults

I bought my SE Jan. this year
I spoke to my service manager today regarding faults
1 damp in rear nearside light
2 Radio, unable to get some stations clear and sometimes changes to different station even when stationery
3 Navigation system, sometimes too late instruction to turn. 2 weeks ago I was in strange town and needed navigation help, it gave up until I was clear of town centre,I need the help when I am lost!!!!!
4 I noticed my spare was steel and not the same on the car, manager said if I wanted a match I had to pay extra (car cost£28450), told him I wasnt happy about it. I reminded him I was interviewed by the local paper as to what I thought of the car and might decide a follow up is in order to express my views!!!
They are collecting my car Friday, watch this space!
David Rolling Eyes David

Post #9903 13th Nov 2007 12:23 pm
muddywheels

England 

I have a GS and also find the radio reception dodgy.

It is common practice to have a cheap spare in a lot of cars now so not a problem for me.

My last car was a Jaguar and like you I had problems with slow Sat Nav in Monaco this year - gave up and looked for signs in end - nightmare Evil or Very Mad

Post #9958 13th Nov 2007 10:32 pm
The Villager

muddywheels wrote:
I have a GS and also find the radio reception dodgy.

It is common practice to have a cheap spare in a lot of cars now so not a problem for me.

My last car was a Jaguar and like you I had problems with slow Sat Nav in Monaco this year - gave up and looked for signs in end - nightmare Evil or Very Mad

I will let you know the outcome of my visit, they are collecting and returning car!
David David

Post #9977 14th Nov 2007 11:28 am
The Villager

Had a call from my garage to ask if they can keep my baby in until Monday, it appears my spare key belongs to another car, so had to order new one which will have to be matched to my car. They have reloaded Satnav and claim it is now ok(we will see Monday) Radio, they say some progs on med. wave are not always very clear, I offered to show what good reception I get on my £6.99 radio, back to the workshop to look at ariel connections. They say red triangle is not supplied with car and they wont budge on the spare wheel!!
I hope he is a kind man and tooks my baby up for the night
David David

Post #10137 16th Nov 2007 5:50 pm
AndyP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

Can't speak for the Sat Nav in the FL2 ( didn't want to pay the premium) but in town they can really get confused when the sat signal bounces off buildings, some do better jobs than others ignoring large apparent changes in position. I don't think they get current speed data from the speedo , so that means it will use it's last known speed to effectively 'dead reckon' your position if it can't get enough signal for true updates. This means that you can easily get ahead of where the unit calculates you are.

Post #10139 16th Nov 2007 6:20 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

The factory fit SATNAV has a speed pickup from the transmission and a built in electronic compass to enble it to do DR fixing. Go into a multistorey car park or through a long tunnel and have the satnav on it's largest scale display and you will see the car icon keeps moving and will pickup up the satellite signals almost immediately after you get a clear satellite horizon.
TomTom/Road Angel etc cannot do this but I believe some aftermarket professionally fitted systems made by Alpine and Kenwood systems do have a speed pickup and built in compass. I had the LR Phillips Carin system in my Freelander1, it was dealer fitted and it had both a speed pickup from the transmission and an electronic compass. The UK leads the world in the manufacture of microscopic "fluxgate" and tiny "transmitting" magnetic compasses. Most are made by a company in Portsmouth and are fitted into a lot of the small compasses used in the leisure boating industry where you can buy electronic hand bearing compasses that are a little bigger than a credit card and will give either a "true" bearing or a "compass/ magnetic" bearing at the click of a button . How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #10141 16th Nov 2007 6:42 pm
Goldstone69

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Tim in Scotland wrote:
The factory fit SATNAV has a speed pickup from the transmission and a built in electronic compass to enble it to do DR fixing. Go into a multistorey car park or through a long tunnel and have the satnav on it's largest scale display and you will see the car icon keeps moving and will pickup up the satellite signals almost immediately after you get a clear satellite horizon.TomTom/Road Angel etc cannot do this

I often find i can actually navigate round a multi storey car park and even park with out the aid of Sat nav Shocked Have also found i can wait the ten seconds it can take my tomtom to find me again after exiting a tunnel .... Whistle

Post #10146 16th Nov 2007 8:19 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Us country folks have yet to suss out these multistorey carparks m8, fields are much better carparks and nobody dings the side of your car! How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover

Post #10147 16th Nov 2007 8:22 pm
Goldstone69

Fair point but the cow poo must be a bit of a pain ?

Post #10148 16th Nov 2007 8:28 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Depends what you use it for, personally I just drive over it or use a field where there is no livestock - a herd of cows rubbing on the sides of your car does even less good to it than cow poo Rolling with laughter How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?

Post #10173 16th Nov 2007 11:21 pm
The Villager

Car back today.
Radio, not solved, service manager says problems with med. wave an all radio fitted on SE, not happy with this reply.
Satnav, claims to have reloaded, I will have to test more before comment!
Told me spare wheel is extra if I want a matching one, red triangle is extra!!
software downloads done, no other faults found David

Post #10364 20th Nov 2007 3:27 pm
John-Boy

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Galway Green

David, did they correct the problem you had with condensation in the rear light?

I have just noticed that my off-side rear light has the same problem.

Like you, I bought my FL2 last January but it will not need its service until Jan 2008.

Post #10393 21st Nov 2007 12:25 am
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
rear light

My o/s rear light cluster also had condensation in it, a few hours after I collected my FL2 as new! I mentioned it to the sales guy at my dealer, who was surprised, but suggested it may have been caused by an over-enthusiastic use of their pressure washer, whilst preparing the car for me. Rolling Eyes So I just kept an eye on it, and it disappeared in about 2 days, and has never returned. Weird but true! Shocked  Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #10394 21st Nov 2007 12:39 am
The Villager

Hi John-Boy
It appears to be dry now although they never mentioned it, I will keep an eye on it.
Still not happy about radio reception! David

Post #10400 21st Nov 2007 11:10 am
Goldstone69

Re: rear light

Nick Jan wrote:
My o/s rear light cluster also had condensation in it, a few hours after I collected my FL2 as new! I mentioned it to the sales guy at my dealer, who was surprised, but suggested it may have been caused by an over-enthusiastic use of their pressure washer, whilst preparing the car for me. Rolling Eyes So I just kept an eye on it, and it disappeared in about 2 days, and has never returned. Weird but true! Shocked

Deja vu .......i had exactly the same problem and was given exactly the same excuse ,looking at the other posts theres either a fault on the seal round the light or LR have the most gung ho car washers in the UK Shocked

Post #10401 21st Nov 2007 11:33 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>