« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > "Sticky Gearbox"
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Columbarius

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Tonga Green
"Sticky Gearbox"

I've had a new TD4 manual 6-speed 2.2 Freelander 2 since August, and have noticed that if not driven for a day or two there is a noticeable resistance when selecting first or second. Reverse is always OK. Once it's warmed up no problem.

After last night's frost it was really obvious, so I phoned the dealer today, & they're going to take it in to look at next week. But I'm curious to know if this is a common problem.

I'll update this post once I get the dealer's feedback.

Post #9832 12th Nov 2007 7:13 pm
waaxh03

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Columbarius, My FL2 is driven very infrequently yet the gear selection for all gears is fine. It may be worth asking your dealer to check it out. I would leave the car overnight with them when the weather is colder.
Good luck.

Keep us all informed
waaxh03

Post #9836 12th Nov 2007 7:48 pm
John L

United Kingdom 

Columbaruis,
I remember when mine was new, first into second was a little tight for the first few weeks, but once it had bedded in it was fine, and I now have a very good gearchange, with none of the stiffness that some people have commented on.

Post #9845 12th Nov 2007 9:12 pm
Dave2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I have had my GS for 2 weeks and have noticed the gear change getting tighter in the early gears, especialy 1st > 2nd, 5th > 6th is silky smooth!
I tried changing down from 6th > 5th and then through all the gears and it was increasingly unplesent Big Cry Not something you would normally do but not what I expected either. Crying or Very sad Covered 4000miles so would think things bedded in by now.

Post #9961 13th Nov 2007 11:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Columbarius

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Tonga Green

Hunters (Guildford) had the car in last week & couldn't find anything wrong. They kept it overnight, and returned it later the next day. All I could get from the service dept. was that they'd "had a look underneath, and adjusted everything to the manufacturer's spec." Whatever that might mean.

However, the improvement is enormous. and no longer do I struggle to engage neutral>first or first>second even on very cold mornings such as we had over the weekend.

So currently, case closed. I wish I knew what they did though ....

Post #10729 27th Nov 2007 8:26 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Columbarius, try asking the service manager for a full description - any work carried out on all modern Land Rovers is logged into the LR computer system so it can be hauled out by any dealers who you might take the car to for TLC. How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #10735 27th Nov 2007 9:58 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

My old manual covered about 13K miles when I swapped it for the auto. The 1st and 2nd were a little taught, but not that noticable but it was the 'creaky' gear shift which was more annoying...peace and quite with the auto, and I'm 5K into it now....shear bliss Thumbs Up

Post #10741 27th Nov 2007 10:26 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1