« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Change of Oil-Filter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Change of Oil-Filter

As posted under the topic "does LR use sythetic motor oil" I have recommended for the TD4 engines with DPF to change the motor oil immediately after collecting the car from the dealer, as LR/Ford is obviously not recommending/using the appropriate motor oil for DPF equipped TD4 engines.
So when changing my motor oil I have had great problems to get to the oil filter housing to change its inlet-filter without proper service instructions. Does anyone of this forum can help here? The LR Technical Bulletin is very quiet on this issue. And I have no chance to get my hands on the service manual. Paul, you seem to have good connections to LR. Can you help? Or anyone else?

Best regards
YF

Post #9680 8th Nov 2007 8:32 am
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi Yamaha-fan,

I assume you wasn't thinking of me (having good connections to LR) but a namesake...

To change the oilfilter is indeed quite a job. To accomplish this LR should have supplied a shoehorn with the Freelander 2 !
I'm afraid there's no magic trick. Small hands (witch I have not) and a lot of patience might help.
Or could you be more specific ?

Post #9684 8th Nov 2007 9:30 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
yamaha-fan

Thank you Paul, yes it was you I were thinking of. There must be a better way to change the oil filter than to scratch my arms and hands besides other aquard positions to get to this damm thing. Not what you think, Carlfraz...!
So if anyone has a good idea or, better, knowledge, so please share this with us to prevent us to look like a hen having had a big fight with her master after every oil change.

YF

Post #9694 8th Nov 2007 12:27 pm
Paul

If you dismounted the engine first, it would go much easier to unscrew the filter... Rolling with laughter

But you're right: I never saw a oilfilter that difficult to change (allthough I red somewhere that on the Freelander 1 it is even worse.)

Staying in front of the quite impressive bonnet, you should think there must be plenty of room to work on the engine but performing the job, you're constantly thinking "would it be easier from below ?" and lying under the car: "it must be easier from above."

Post #9695 8th Nov 2007 12:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Paul

Anyway, one of this days I'll have to visit the dealer (one of the parking sensors is broken) so I'll ask if they have any magic tool or procedure.

Post #9697 8th Nov 2007 12:58 pm
Paul

Yamaha-Fan, I have good news for you: there seems to be a special tool for the oil filter removal.

Thumbs Up

However, it costs 1050 € Shocked Mr. Green

(unfortunately I haven't seen it)

Post #10776 28th Nov 2007 12:09 pm
yamaha-fan

I am sure that in such "cheep" tools not every dealer or repair shop will invest in. So how do they change the oil filter without looking afterwards as having had a fight with your house cat?
YF

Post #10864 29th Nov 2007 12:21 pm
Ub2

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Hello all

In Australia LRA supplies all LR2s with Mobil 1 as th standard oil.

Yamaha Fan what do you think on that? Regards Ub2
My first Landie; SE TD4 auto Sunroof, Narvik Black with Alpacca interior, towbar & rear spoiler.

Post #10865 29th Nov 2007 12:35 pm
yamaha-fan

Ub2 - there are a variety of Mobil 1 oils on the market. If you speak of Mobil 1 0W40 or 5W40 supersyn, or the Mobil 1 5W30 ESP Formula (emission system protection) - perfect.
Any other Mobil 1 product without the addidtion "supersyn" is a very normal oil with no benefit over other brands.

YF

Post #11076 2nd Dec 2007 11:12 am
scotster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Whats your recommended oil Yamaha-fan....and why? Smile

And you change the oil filter at the same as the oil because it has residues of the old oil??

Thanks! '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #11092 2nd Dec 2007 4:29 pm
wildrover

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Indus Silver

See YF's Bow down list of recommended oils (19/9/2007 thread "List of recommended and suitable motor oils for FL2")
I was reviewing the list last night to determine what was available.
There is a vast difference in price for the oils meeting A3/B3 spec from £16 - £46 for Mobil.
If most cars require over 4 litres and the Freelander requires 5.86, why does Castrol only supply 4 litre bottles and Mobil in 5 litre bottles, forcing the customer to buy additional containers to fill the engine. Question
Surely in this day and age with all the environmentalists that 6 litre containers would be less recycling and more cost effective to the customer.
Then again, maybe they are focusing their sales for the Toyota Yaris or something.
Or have i already answered my own question; to rip off the customer???
I would think buying 2 x 4 litres and saving 1/2 a container to be used with the next oil change might be the best option, providing it was recently produced. Out with the old (2007 SE)
In with the new (2012 Dynamic with everything). Now also gone.

Post #11095 2nd Dec 2007 4:58 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1