Home > General > LR Experience
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 
LR Experience

Got a LR Experence this weekend, at Coniston Hall, N. Yorkshire,

Has anybody been to here and what should I expect, Is it lots or talking or lots of driving?

Post #6654 13th Sep 2007 1:00 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

My experience at LRE Bala was very good. A certain amount of talking to begin with (usual health & safety stuff first) then the instructor drove the car first (we had a short drive on main roads to get to the off road site) Once off road he demonstrated some of the terrain response features. Then it was my turn behind the wheel, and planty of time there was too. Absolutely no complaints about time behind the wheel. Make sure you expalain just how much you do (and don't) know about the car. If there is anything specific you want to see demonstrated be sure to ask. You'll have a great time !

Post #6669 13th Sep 2007 5:08 pm
cotefarmboy

United Kingdom 

Coniston is great, been a few times. Usually a tech talk first, instructor demo then you get behind the wheel. You will enjoy it! Highly recommend following up with a full day level 1 course if you plan to do a bit of off-roading Thumbs Up

Post #6670 13th Sep 2007 5:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

npinks, you should come witth us to Tong on the 30th only £35 quid plus £25 for a tutor if you wanted one.....is he too late cotefarmboy???? Go on npinks it'll be a larf Laughing Laughing My car is only two weeks old, she wont even be a month old when she takes her first real steps Thumbs Up

Post #6706 13th Sep 2007 9:43 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

My instructur saw me turn up in my FL2, so he skipped the road drive, and what all the buttons do bit, and we just went ofroad, got about 1 1/2 - 2 hours offroad, rather than 1 hour, with 1 - 1 1/2 hours on road, and talking through the car, so I did really well out of it.

probably worth telling them you already have one, if they'll let you do more offroad.

Rich

Post #6713 13th Sep 2007 10:06 pm
cotefarmboy

United Kingdom 

carlfraz wrote:
npinks, you should come witth us to Tong on the 30th only £35 quid plus £25 for a tutor if you wanted one.....is he too late cotefarmboy???? Go on npinks it'll be a larf Laughing Laughing My car is only two weeks old, she wont even be a month old when she takes her first real steps Thumbs Up

No tuition spaces left but if you're quick I can still get you in to drive the off-road course.

Post #6715 13th Sep 2007 10:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

rmbillington wrote:
My instructur saw me turn up in my FL2, so he skipped the road drive, and what all the buttons do bit, and we just went ofroad, got about 1 1/2 - 2 hours offroad, rather than 1 hour, with 1 - 1 1/2 hours on road, and talking through the car, so I did really well out of it.

probably worth telling them you already have one, if they'll let you do more offroad.

Rich

Totally agree, I've done two half day LRE's and driven for more then two hours on both ocassions. Make sure the instructor knows about you, your car and your experience. They will modify their approach to you accordingly.

Post #6724 13th Sep 2007 11:14 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

carlfraz wrote:

Can't make it this time around, just too much on with working and getting the house renovated, feels like i am working 7 days a week. which i am.

Maybe next time

Post #6726 13th Sep 2007 11:17 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Been on the LR Experiance today.

Fantastic Day Very Happy I could not believe the car could lean over so far, as for going up hills where the car is pointing at the sky. Rocking on two wheels. Went every where the Disco3, RR & RRS went apart from the rock crawl section.

Advice on breaking on slippy condition, (best not break so hard that the ABS kicks in)

Showed me the DCS functioning on a quick blast down the A65.

I now want the Auto next as it made driving so much easier, little sluggish on a standing start, but he told me to set the revs and left foot brake till the torque has increased, which made a BIG difference.

Think I might look at another trip there, even if i have to purchace it myself, but that will have to wait a while as the wife wants me to finish the house.

Post #6874 16th Sep 2007 8:09 pm
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
LRE Ashford

I just went on my second half day LRE at Ashford, Kent, this time in a FL2 HSE Auto (first one, a year ago was in a D3). The instructor was friendly and thorough, showing me a number of cool techniques to use. Very Happy

I hadn't realised how much the terrain response control alters the performance characteristics of the car, with grass/snow and mud/ruts decreasing power and making it less responsive, and the sand setting doing the opposite. I also hadn't realised that in some situations you have to manually select (or de-select) hill descent control. It is sort of important to know if this feature is gonna help you out or not as you throw the car down a quarry!! Razz

The FL2 felt very different to the D3 doing the scary slope traverse and the long sequence of 2ft high bumps, alternating on the left and right sides. The car rocked much more easily as wheels lost traction and left the ground completely, presumably because it's so much lighter and doesn't have air suspension.

He neatly demonstrated that Gradient Release Control does work on autos, proving that you set the vehicle up correctly. This seems to make hill starts half the way up a 1 in 1 slippery hill, very much easier than it was in the D3 (as long as you move off within the 3 secs allowed!).

He also showed me a neat way of powering the vehicle up, to do a very quick getaway, useful for those roundabouts where people seem to hurtle in at about 60mph! Left foot on brake, accelerate to increase revs (2000 max), then take foot off brake to zoom away very much faster than normally. Maybe everyone else knew this, but I didn't!

Anyway, I found the whole experience interesting and fun. The FL2 is quite as good as I thought, maybe better!! Thumbs Up
 Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #8807 19th Oct 2007 10:44 pm
mburton2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

I did my LRE at Eastnor Castle, which was pretty good....did it in a RRSport, just for the hell of it...
Was very impressed, especially with the Adaptive Cruis Control when on the motorway. Although I was also suitabley impressed with the ff-road capability, even with standard road-tyres....I now see the car in a different light!...its NOT just for Footballers (Or their wifes!)

I'm doing my Level one nearer christmas, but not too sure what to expect...is it going to be more of the same as the half day??...or is it going to be proper tuition?...I done my BORDA cert1 a couple of years ago, and am hoping I will get similar to this (ie tuition, not just point the car that way & off you go) '57 FL2 GS
Sumatra Blk, Tints, Winterpack, Dodgylooking TowBar, roof rails, Front & Rear LED Indicators, Clear Side repeaters(Led), LED Rear Position/Brake lights, Additional Power-point in the boot & Brighter luggage Illumination fitted

Post #9487 3rd Nov 2007 10:39 pm
highbridgeflyer

2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Orkney Grey

Level 1 done at an LRE is only recognised within LRE. Having allready got your BORDA 1 you have something that is world recognised. Save your money and do further BORDA training or a LANTRA course. Thumbs Up

Post #9511 4th Nov 2007 1:41 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

I would urge anybody going on an LRE to consider the upgrade to the full day from the half day, it really is worth paying the extra. Also you are guaranteed that you will have the car to yourself and freind/family that come along and not have to share it with a 2 strangers for the 2 hours. At LRE Dunkeld they also take you off site, away from their training fields and out into the special routes they have set up on the local big estate's grouse moors and forests. It is a really spectacular venue, especially at this time of the year How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #9515 4th Nov 2007 2:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1