Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > CAN Bus
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
alex_pescaru

CAN Bus

Did someone "played" with a sniffer on the car's CAN buses?
I was thinking to extend a bit the functionality of the factory's alarm and to adapt a module to allow input from a shock and/or a perimeter sensor.
For this I needed informations about the alarm's arming and disarming status.
As is known, each message on the CAN is preceded by a CAN ID.
Playing as I said with a CAN sniffer, I noticed these on the medium speed CAN, where the alarm is:
- ID 0x007E - you can read engine speed.
- ID 0x00FD - you can read the arm / disarm status of the alarm.
- ID 0x0110 - you can read the open / closed state of the doors, hood and trunk.
- ID 0x0188 - you can read information from parking sensors.
- ID 0x0245 - you can read the key insertion and ignition status.
- ID 0x0405 - you can read the car's VIN.
There are also about 7 other IDs on which, among other data, is broadcasted the car's milleage.
So you can take the alarm status information from the 0x00FD ID and drive an additional alarm.
Perhaps this is how are made some alarms that are connected on CAN and work on car's remote control...
So much for now ...

Has anyone any idea which IDs are used for broadcasting vehicle's speed, engine temperature and outside temperature?

All of them are required on the medium speed CAN and taken from the high speed CAN by Central Junction Box and broadcasted here. The temperatures for climate control and the car's speed for the audio volume variation depending on the speed.

Post #128474 21st Jan 2012 9:02 pm
alex_pescaru

I've played a little more with the medium speed CAN bus and I've also found out the followings:
- ID 0x00FD - holds the info about the car's speed.
- ID 0x0310 - holds the info about the car's speed.
- ID 0x0110 - holds the status of the handbrake.
- ID 0x0180 - holds the info about the automatic transmission mode: drive/sport/command shift.

Still looking for the info about engine and outside temperature....
Nobody?

Post #128736 23rd Jan 2012 10:52 am
athelstan

Sorry Alex - I cannot help.

My knowledge is limited to the "CAN" = accepted abbreviation for Canada or in lowercase: can = ability to do something, or a cylindrical object (container) used for storage, or a slang word used mainly in N. America for the toilet, or more usefully in music as in "can." = canto or canon.

As for "Bus", I have used them occasionally and they are quiet practical for short urban journeys although I prefer the cycle or just walking. It is also used in lowercase as in "bus." = abbreviation for business.

So maybe the CAN Bus is a bus operating in Canada Rolling Eyes Sorry I can not be of more help.

I'd be disappointed if no one from the FreeL2 community can assist you re the FL2's CAN Bus, but I'd hazard a guess and say it is probably a really useful piece of kit Wink

Post #128747 23rd Jan 2012 1:03 pm
alex_pescaru

athelstan wrote:
I'd hazard a guess and say it is probably a really useful piece of kit Wink

The CAN bus is a network that interconnects all electronic modules on your car.
In fact on FL2 there are two CAN buses. One low speed (125kbps) and one high speed (500kbps).
So the canadian dwarfs travel with 2 buses, based on how important the message that they carry is. Laughing Thumbs Up
And they can.... Wink

Post #128761 23rd Jan 2012 2:20 pm
athelstan

alex_pescaru wrote:

So the canadian dwarfs travel with 2 buses, based on how important the message that they carry is. Laughing Thumbs Up
And they can.... Wink

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

But Alex - absolutely nothing and no one travels fast in Canada - they are seriously r e l a x e d folks, some say they never drive in real-time, only in yester-time Shocked

Post #128773 23rd Jan 2012 4:27 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Those are obviously memory addresses you are quoting but without the right kit I'm unable to help. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #128827 23rd Jan 2012 8:34 pm
alex_pescaru

No, they are CAN identifiers (11 bit standard CAN2.0A frame)...
Each message (frame) that is broadcasted over the CAN has an unique ID (identifier).

So, inside the 8 byte messages (frames) that have the above identifiers, you can find the quoted information.

Post #128829 23rd Jan 2012 9:04 pm
egipp

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Santorini Black

G'Day Alex, This probably won't help you but, on the other hand, it might trigger a different train of thought! I have a Garmin Ecoroute device which transmits data, including engine temperature, RPM, battery condition, engine load, throttle opening and so on, from the OBD 11 connector, via Bluetooth, to a screen on the Garmin 1490t. I assume this is reading the various CAN IDs. Perhaps there is something available via Garmin technical sites?
Good luck anyway, Graham

Post #128848 23rd Jan 2012 11:38 pm
alex_pescaru

Thank you for your input!
Those informations are taken from the high speed CAN by using/sending a functional PID query to the 0x07DF ID. Then the module(s) that can answer to the request, answers...
It's the standard OBD2 way of obtaining informations from the car and it's part of the J1979 SAE standard.
But it's a slow way of gathering interesting (and real time) informations.
Generally, that informations are powertrain and emission oriented.
And not always are all available on any car... And FL2 isn't the exception.
Not to mention that informations about various switches, alarm, parking sensors and so on, can't be obtained in that way. Exactly the ones that made me start this project. And now I am trying to find as much as possible... Laughing

Post #128849 23rd Jan 2012 11:49 pm
alex_pescaru

Quick update....
The ID 0x006C holds:
- the information about the gearchange selector position (P, R, N, D),
- the gear number (1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7 for reverse) in which the car is, no matter the mode (Drive, Sport, Command Shift),
- a small counter that increments each about 10 cm traveled by the car.

Post #128889 24th Jan 2012 12:23 pm
stownrow

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Indus Silver

egipp wrote:
G'Day Alex, This probably won't help you but, on the other hand, it might trigger a different train of thought! I have a Garmin Ecoroute device which transmits data, including engine temperature, RPM, battery condition, engine load, throttle opening and so on, from the OBD 11 connector, via Bluetooth, to a screen on the Garmin 1490t. I assume this is reading the various CAN IDs. Perhaps there is something available via Garmin technical sites?
Good luck anyway, Graham

Sorry to go a little off topic Alex...

Graham - Does the eco route have turbo boost ? Do you have a bluetooth phone connected and does it hinder the connection/interfere?

Thanks Thumbs Up 

Post #128897 24th Jan 2012 1:05 pm
egipp

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Santorini Black

Hi Stownrow, My car is the i6 petrol, therefore doesn't have a turbo and I can't say whether the Ecoroute would show turbo pressure if it was connected to a diesel model. For information these are the readings available on the i6 :
Engine load, Engine coolant temperature, Fuel pressure, Timing advance, Throttle position, Battery voltage, Speed, Intake air temperature, Intake manifold pressure, Mass air flow. From those last three, it would look as though it could show turbo boost but, as I say, it would need connecting to a diesel to be sure. Sadly, it doesn't give oil pressure because - I'm told - the Freelander doesn't provide that data from the OBD 11. It will also show any fault codes that may arise, which can be checked against the Land Rover list of codes. As for the 'phone, I've not experienced any problems, they connect via different pages on the 1490t menu.
Hope that helps, Cheers, Graham.

Post #128965 24th Jan 2012 11:10 pm
alex_pescaru

stownrow
I will look tomorrow on my diesel FL2 and I will tell you exactly which PIDs are available for the diesel engine.
But from what I am remembering, indeed, the intake manifold pressure is one of them.
But, of course, even if the FL2 is able to give you that piece of information, remains to the ability of the reading program to interpret and show it to you.

LE: Here they are:

Click image to enlarge

Post #128968 24th Jan 2012 11:34 pm
alex_pescaru

I've found them:

- Engine temperature (ID 0x490)
- Exterior temperature (ID 0x440)
- Fog lights (front and rear) state (ID 0x110, ID 0x180)
- Rear window heating state (ID 0x0F7)
- Main beam state (ID 0x180)
- Fuel level (ID 0x455)
- HDC state (ID 0x301)
- DSC state (ID 0x180)
- Terrain Response state (ID 0x4D0)
- Car Configuration File info. (ID 0x400)

And the study continues... Laughing

Post #130323 2nd Feb 2012 7:16 pm
bionicbone

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Firenze Red

Click image to enlarge

Hi Alex,

Maybe you dont look here anymore?

Its a nice job you did here.

I was wondering if you have ever seen any info on the later MY2014 models ?

LR must have changed most of the IDs on the later models, the only one from your list in this thread is the VIN which is still on 0x405.

I really want to validate fuel temperature, I found so many IDs that contain data looking like temperatures, but with so many temperature sensors attached to the HS bus its like a needle in a haystack.

Most of all I want DPF data, but so far not even a sniff on that.

I built and programmed my own CAN scanner based on an ESP32 as I found the slower processors missed so much data. It also allows me to live scan using CanDrive or Log both HS and MS at the same time for either analyis in my own program above or in Excel or SavvyCAN, lots of spare capacity to read more than teh FL2 throws at it. It also allows me to drop a dummy 999 ID into the data one pressing a button before I do something so I know where to look.

Any help or point in the right direction would be appreciated.

This is what I've found so far, I'll make a list once I have found all I can. Many like KMH, RPM and Mileage are presented on several IDs either the same way or using a different formula.
Click image to enlarge

Post #420087 3rd Apr 2022 2:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>