« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Flat Battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red
Flat Battery

came back from a weeks holiday on Saturday car wouldn't start and nothing at all electrical worked. Called out LR assist they diagnosed a flat battery, apparently once charge drops below a certain level the whole system switches itself off and nothing at all works. They jump started car and advised a visit to dealer as may need a new battery.Phoned guy salmon in Wakefield (not my supplying dealer) and explained situation they booked car in for today tested all electrical systems and said car had a faulty battery . They fitted a new one straight away everything sorted out in 30 minutes and no hassle what so ever . can't fault them very very helpful. And you get to watch them work on the car so you know what is going on.

Post #9277 31st Oct 2007 9:44 pm
Nazca Sand Eddie

United Kingdom 
Flat Battery

I had a similar experience. Freelander 2 left each night in locked garage, then after four nights, flat battery.
Land Rover Assistance came out and said that the battery was flat because I had not set the alarm on, despite being in a secure garage.

Apparantly when you set the alarm, the computer sysems etc are then 'put to sleep'.
Until this done they are drawing about one and a half amps. This is quite a drain, but no mention in the hand book.

He also told me that we have calcium batteries that require a special charging process, unlike the lead acid batteries we are more used to.

I was also recommended to carry surge protected jump leads to protect our special/complicated/expensive electonics. Having a Land Rover, people often look to us for a jump start over 'ordinary' cars.

Post #9585 6th Nov 2007 3:29 pm
Goldstone69

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green
Re: Flat Battery

Nazca Sand Eddie wrote:

I was also recommended to carry surge protected jump leads to protect our special/complicated/expensive electonics. Having a Land Rover, people often look to us for a jump start over 'ordinary' cars.

A very useful tip Eddie my leads are bog standard will upgrade asap Thumbs Up ....and Hi and welcome how long have you had your FL2 ?..what colour did you go for Question Whistle Laughing

Post #9586 6th Nov 2007 4:05 pm
Nazca Sand Eddie

United Kingdom 
Flat Battery

One lead was red and the other black !!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had the FL2 since mid June. So far no problems, a fantastic vehicle.

The interior is Alpaca which really matches the Nazca Sand colour outside perfectly.

Thanks for the welcome.

Post #9589 6th Nov 2007 4:27 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Nazca Sand Eddie wrote:

Apparantly when you set the alarm, the computer systems etc are then 'put to sleep'.
Until this done they are drawing about one and a half amps. This is quite a drain, but no mention in the hand book.

Welcome Nazca, thats quite interesting about switching the alarm on to reduce the current draw. The longest my car has been left is 18 days, this summers holiday, it was left locked and alarmed outside at home, and started no problem on our return. (No, I didn't have my fingers crossed - much !!!)

Post #9603 6th Nov 2007 10:23 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Disco3's and RRS's also go into "sleep mode" but only if you lower the suspension to access height and then lock the car. Basically it tells the car you won't be coming back to it for a while so it powers down all the unnecessary electrics to conserve battery power. At least that was how the dealer explained it to me when I bought my first RRS!
Must be true because I leave my car for up to 4 months and I have never come back to find a flat battery! How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #9608 6th Nov 2007 10:56 pm
mackayzer

United Kingdom 2007 LR2 TD4 GS Manual Narvik Black

Must have been a manufacturing defect in the battery.
Calcium added to a battery is ultimately in addition to Lead (seen the price of Lead recently)
The battery is a lead acid VRLA same as in other cars, no special charging required
If you are running DVD and other in car entertainment (without the engine running) this will dramatically shorten the life of the battery Big Cry

Tandemman wrote:
came back from a weeks holiday on Saturday car wouldn't start and nothing at all electrical worked. Called out LR assist they diagnosed a flat battery, apparently once charge drops below a certain level the whole system switches itself off and nothing at all works. They jump started car and advised a visit to dealer as may need a new battery.Phoned guy salmon in Wakefield (not my supplying dealer) and explained situation they booked car in for today tested all electrical systems and said car had a faulty battery . They fitted a new one straight away everything sorted out in 30 minutes and no hassle what so ever . can't fault them very very helpful. And you get to watch them work on the car so you know what is going on.

Post #9658 7th Nov 2007 9:41 pm
attox

Italy 

Nazca Sand Eddie wrote:
I had a similar experience. Freelander 2 left each night in locked garage, then after four nights, flat battery.
Land Rover Assistance came out and said that the battery was flat because I had not set the alarm on, despite being in a secure garage.

Apparantly when you set the alarm, the computer sysems etc are then 'put to sleep'.

He also told me that we have calcium batteries that require a special charging process, unlike the lead acid batteries we are more used to.

Hi Nazca Sand Eddie,

do you know if it makes any difference setting the alarm with a single or a double lock as far as the battery draining?

Thanks!

Post #16564 26th Mar 2008 3:31 pm
Nazca Sand Eddie

United Kingdom 

Attox

LR assistance stated that as long as I set the alarm, either one or two pushes, then the electronics will go to sleep ok.

I then had contact with LR Technical via Sirly Suld, tel 01926 691955, they were very helpful, and I learnt that if I close all the doors and set the alarm, one or two pushes, and then opened the rear tail gate with the designated button on the remote control, I would be able leave the tail gate open for prolonged periods, as this method of opening (only the tail gate) does NOT wake up the electronics. Useful for me when on a campsite and I need the back open, perhaps all day.

This method has worked fine for me on several long trips away.

Hopes this all helps - NSE.

Post #16582 26th Mar 2008 6:21 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

If any of you move up to an RRS/D3 or FFRR if you don't lower the air suspension to access level before locking up then you will come back to a flat battery in about 5 days - the cause is the same, all the electronics stay "awake" until the suspension is lowered when the car then knows that you won't be back for a long time and puts everything into sleep mode. How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #16584 26th Mar 2008 6:42 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Cripes its all too much - double lock to turn alarm on, lower suspension etc why cant the car just think "well nobody is using me so I will not drain the battery" madness I tell you madness.

Post #16590 26th Mar 2008 7:15 pm
attox

Italy 

Nazca Sand Eddie wrote:
Attox

LR assistance stated that as long as I set the alarm, either one or two pushes, then the electronics will go to sleep ok.

I then had contact with LR Technical via Sirly Suld, tel 01926 691955, they were very helpful, and I learnt that if I close all the doors and set the alarm, one or two pushes, and then opened the rear tail gate with the designated button on the remote control, I would be able leave the tail gate open for prolonged periods, as this method of opening (only the tail gate) does NOT wake up the electronics. Useful for me when on a campsite and I need the back open, perhaps all day.

Thanks a lot for the useful information.

Post #16594 26th Mar 2008 7:24 pm
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Nazca Sand Eddie wrote:
Attox

This was really helpfull as I'll go for a couple of weeks in Germany at on a farm with my family and was not considering loking the car at all.
Thanks FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #16623 27th Mar 2008 7:28 am
RW

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Matei wrote:

This was really helpfull as I'll go for a couple of weeks in Germany at on a farm with my family and was not considering loking the car at all.
Thanks

If you plan to leave the car parked for more than a week, I suggest you do not apply the handbrake. The handbrake can stick if applied for a prolonged period. Keep the car in 'park' (if auto) or in a gear (if manual).

Post #16632 27th Mar 2008 12:39 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

mine made scrapping noises after 5 days of been stood still with the hand brake on

Disappeared within a few hundred meters queueing to get out of the airport car park Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #16635 27th Mar 2008 1:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1