Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Sorry guys...another tyre question.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black
Sorry guys...another tyre question.

When I bought the car it had recently had new tyres, but I am a bit nervous about them. They are Kumho 798 Radial Plus 235/60 18 103 H. Although the FL2 is maxed out at 112 for which H is fine, the manual and door pillar stipulate V rated tyres.
Do I have a problem with my insurance here? I know that my insurance company is one that is OK about winter tyres which are H rated but what about summer tyres? I have not spoken to my insurance company yet but a view from the Forum would be helpful.

If the answer is that I need to change my tyres the question is what do I go for? Performance is not an issue as far as I am concerned as I do not throw the truck around or drive it at max (I reserve my hooligan moments for the Triumph Rocket) but I am interested in tyre life. I am used to using BFG A\Ts which went on for ever but what can I get in 235/60 18 which will give a decent lifespan? It seems that any V rated tyre by definition has a soft compound for performance and hence a short life......unless you know better....

Thanks in anticipation of your wisdom. John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #127552 16th Jan 2012 11:33 am
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

First thing I would do is contact your insurance company if they say it's ok no problem, if they are not happy with H rated Tyres and if you bought your car from a garage a Land Rover dealer all the better I would take it back & demand they change the Tyres to the correct spec ie v rated.

Post #127553 16th Jan 2012 11:43 am
Speedway

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue

Agree with Muckboots as you probably told your Insurance co that the vehicle hadn't been modified when you bought and insured it. Gone, 2007 TD4 SE Auto Baltic blue, clear side repeaters, full sized alloy spare.

English by birth..... Yorkshire by the grace of God.

Post #127554 16th Jan 2012 12:31 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

if they can get out of a claim they will.

Don't give them the excuse, if the worst happens, give them a call, have your facts on speed ratings for your tyres to hand and max speed of car etc

Post #127555 16th Jan 2012 12:34 pm
JST

Thanks guys. I have now spoken to my insurers who have confirmed it is a modification and have relieved me of the princely sum of £7.47 to cover it - I was not going to drive another yard uninsured. I am now off to have a friendly chat with the garage who sold me the car - not a LR dealer but all the same they should know better.

I have also visited my local tyre fitter who has quoted me £512 fitted for 4 Kumho V rated tyres. Doesn't sound too bad to me...unless you know better....

Should be able to get a few bob for the old ones on the site that shall not be named as they are near new. John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One

Post #127556 16th Jan 2012 1:25 pm
EYorkshire

You did the right thing notifying your insurer as any step away from the manufacturers recommendation is classed as a modification.
But it is only between you and your insurers, the car dealer or the previous owner has done nothing wrong, the tyres are still within the rated speed of the car and the load index has been bettered. Keep the tyres on and pay the extra to the insurance people and happy motoring. Confused

Post #127558 16th Jan 2012 1:31 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Agree - £7.47 as against £500+ for what is effectively the same tyre - what's not to like? So long as your insurance is happy you'll be fine!

Post #127607 16th Jan 2012 6:18 pm
MANUFAN

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Interesting post John, glad it has worked out okay for you in the end. It doe’s however make you wonder if the insurers would pay out on some of the modifications you read about on the forum. Drilled brakes, alterations to lights, clutches etc. Many are improvements but it does make you wonder, they love an excuse not to pay out. Thumbs Up

Post #127650 16th Jan 2012 9:04 pm
JST

The garage has asked me to produce a letter from my insurance company stating that they regard it as a modification before they will make some kind of offer.

We shall see! Whatever happens I think I may well still keep paying the higher premium on the grounds that (as a number of you have pointed out) it makes buying tyres cheaper and opens the way for using A/Ts (providing the insurance company are happy about a size change as well Smile The point about notifying insurers about the slightest change comes into focus as you have observed...anyone fitted an armrest? Very Happy

Again, thanks for your input. John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One

Post #127677 16th Jan 2012 10:37 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Unfortunately I think this will be a growing trend. It's not just that Insurance companies want to wriggle out of liability. It's also that with comparison websites etc premiums have been squeezed. We all try to go for the cheapest quote, so it's natural for them to charge extra on every possible occasion, once they've got your business. My suspicion is that in the past there would have been no charge for this - after all, there is no demonstrable extra risk -but nowadays it's just a way to charge you a bit extra after you've paid the headline premium.

Post #127701 17th Jan 2012 10:17 am
JST

Past master wrote:
Unfortunately I think this will be a growing trend. It's not just that Insurance companies want to wriggle out of liability. It's also that with comparison websites etc premiums have been squeezed. We all try to go for the cheapest quote, so it's natural for them to charge extra on every possible occasion, once they've got your business. My suspicion is that in the past there would have been no charge for this - after all, there is no demonstrable extra risk -but nowadays it's just a way to charge you a bit extra after you've paid the headline premium.

Very true. Those of use who also inhabit the world of motorcycles will be aware of a recent issue with one insurer who declared that they would not insure any bike with more than 3 "modifications". OK you may think...until you read the list of "modifications" one of which was non original decals! Hence my quip about armrests. John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One

Post #127703 17th Jan 2012 10:31 am
taztastic

England 

I wonder if Martin will start supplying a £10 voucher with a Freel2 sticker, to cover the excess for non standard decals Laughing

Sadly, it is getting ridiculous, I informed my insurer about the optional extras on the car, the lady said as they were factory options is was ok, I dont think she understood what winter pack was, might be interesting if the screen ever breaks Confused

Post #127704 17th Jan 2012 11:09 am
Biscay

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Biscay Blue

There is many car insurance companies that will not insure if you have more than 3 mods., and this includes factory options with many companies. They go by the manufacturers spec at time of manufacture, any thing more than this should be declared. Trouble is they vary so often that its hard to know.

My freelander 1 had privacy, cold climate, side steps, door running strips, lightguards, front soft 'A' frame, spots and upgraded alloys. All fitted by landrover before first owner collected. On most compare sites I would be down to three options for insurers all with a huge premium. I ended up staying with same insurers as they made a mistake when I told them. They tried to cancel my insurance but did in the end admit that I had informed them and so would have to honour the premium quoted. The reason they tried to cancel is they new, as soon as i put the details into a compare site, what options were on it. I then just got a letter saying they were cancelling my insurance and there would be no refund.

Post #128007 19th Jan 2012 11:11 am
Biscay

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Biscay Blue

Oh! and mud flaps, they need declaring as well!

I was thinking of putting side steps and roof rails on this one. Does anyone have any examples of how much it put there premium up before doing so?

Post #128008 19th Jan 2012 11:14 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1