Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Anyone using a Maxxraxx type carrier while towing a caravan?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
c.kempy

Anyone using a Maxxraxx type carrier while towing a caravan?

Hi im looking to buy a new family towcar and the freelander 2 is at the top of the list. Mainly because i am hoping the 140kg towbar nose weight will allow me to use a Maxxraxx type towbar mounted bike rack while towing my Bailey Orion caravan. Im looking to take four mountain bikes with me and always prefer a towbar rack as opposed to roof mounted.
This car will replace my ageing 300TDI and i hope it will return much better MPG.
Is anyone using this system? how successful is it and indeed will four bikes fit between the car and caravan. Any photos would be appreciated. I have just bought the caravan so have not tried this method on the disco.

Also Landrover do this type of rack for the Freelander 2, in their brochure, Part No: STC50063 for the fixed height towbar. However it only takes two bikes and states it is not compatible with friction type hitches. I assume this includes my AL-KO 3004 hitch. Anyone know why it is not compatable?

Many thanks

Post #121161 22nd Nov 2011 8:52 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

4 bikes between car & caravan is pushing it somewhat ! I have tried. When you want to turn left or right the bikes used to touch the caravan and BEND the wheels ! & mark the front of the van. Whilst the nose weight allowance of the Freelander 2 is great, for stability reasons I wouldn't put 4 bikes and caravan on the back.

I switched over to the thule roof bar system years ago & just carried some light weight steps around to reach up to fit them on !

You do also need to consider the forces the tow bar is under with 4 bikes & caravan sitting on top of it ! I definatley wouldn't use the swan neck type for that, but remember with your Orion its fitted with the Alko stabilizer & you need the special ball type with thin neck to allow for a roll over ! this prevents the car going over

I have covered 1000's of miles in Europe towing a twin axle Van 8 mtrs long and never had a twitch with the freelander but would think twice about fitting bikes between. For me 2 max.
Why not fit bike rack on the back of the van for two bikes & two on the car ?
Remember about the Law in Spain etc for bikes on racks !

Post #121167 22nd Nov 2011 9:13 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

For sure agree with OG, x4 between the car and van is asking for trouble. Throw an old double bed sheet over the seats and floor of the inside front of the van, turn the bike handle bars through 90 degs parallel with the bike frame and lay them down wheels on the floor but next to the bedding drop down lockers, handle bars resting on the side seats. A blanket between each bike will protect them - we take 3 to France and back every year like this with no problems Thumbs Up Oh and Baileys max on our Senator is 100kg nose weight so even though the car can do 150kg never have the van nose more than 100kg.

Post #121169 22nd Nov 2011 9:35 pm
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I tow a van which is around 1250 Kg (light weight 5 berth), I have the ball weight at approx 80 to 85 Kg. The freelander tows the van with ease. ( Auto box would be good when revering up hill on site !!)

I myself carry the 3 bike in the van which keep them away from all the dirt thrown up from the Freelander's back wheels when its raining. (My bike's are worth to much to be covered in road dirt Bow down )

we have towed the van to Fort William, Northern Ireland and the Lakes a few time this year, and about the same last year.
My Freelander (manual) returns approx 22 to 24 MPG when towing, the only other caravan's I have a problem keeping up with is Range Rovers' and new Discovery's
(other under powered or over loaded caravanner's are a pain and get in the way) and give the caravanners a bad name.

all the best hope your plans work out c.kempy Thumbs Up

Post #121177 22nd Nov 2011 10:35 pm
c.kempy

Thanks for the replies.
I have thought seriously about a roof system. Do you think the drag of four bikes would reduce the mpg more than just towing alone?
Another problem is i ride at least a couple of times a week but did not really want to leave the roof system on all the time.
JP we where in fort william this summer during a three week tour of scotland. The riding there is excellent, did you try the world cup downhill course?. Can highly recommend it and the Glen nevis touring site.

Post #121402 25th Nov 2011 12:04 am
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Hi c.kempy, Welcome aboad, Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

We were in Fort William over the Easter,
I Didn't take my mountain bike, Just my Road bike, I did Climbed up and down Apple Cross and descending down Apple Cross very close to the national speed limit is fun too Rolling with laughter

We also stayed at Glen Nevis touring Site( Very good site) Thumbs Up

The Problem with Bikes on the roof is , Wind Noise, Getting them on and off, Strong Side winds, Car park barriers, plus a Reduced Mpg etc. Hence I put in the Van.

hope you get it sorted Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #121437 25th Nov 2011 2:36 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i had to supply a ALKO tow hitch for my fixed towbar, i believe the towball head is different

No bike rack, two kids bikes can get thrown in the rear section of the van, I don't ride anymore since i past my driving test

Post #121440 25th Nov 2011 2:53 pm
ptecuk

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

I have used a Maxxraxx bike carrier with 2 bikes whilst towing. It was fine. Had to use height extension accessory to ensure bikes did not foul jockey wheel handle when turning and the recommended support straps. I wouldn't like to put more that 2 bikes on though. I felt the overhang weight of 2 bikes was high enough even with the recommended support straps fitted. Although it is a very well designed carrier and robust the bikes do have a tendency to swing slightly over the short cross bar clamps. Also you may have to allow for the fact that some modern vans have a shorter "A" frame than the older vans. 2007 TD4 SE Manual
2014 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #121453 25th Nov 2011 7:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1