« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Last minute advice....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
GWB1967

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Last minute advice....

Hi all, new to the forum and the LR community!

I made a deal this weekend to but a 2007 (07) i6 HSE through an independent dealer but have not yet taken possession (or paid) due to a couple of things that needed sorting out. Since I have a few days before I have to finally commit I thought I might pick your collective brains to make sure what I am getting isn't yellow and citrusy.

Before I get in to specifics, yes I know that the i6 will drink petrol. I currently drive a two seater that is just as bad if not worse! My first choice was for a TD4 Auto but this car is local and very well priced for the spec.

Now the specific bit. The main reason for the delayed delivery is that when I first went to look at the car it wouldn't start! From what I can work out (mainly from the slightly corroded discs, some mould on the seat belts and condensation in the headlight units) it has been sitting in the open, in direct sunlight for at least a month. The (wheeler) dealer fitted a new Bosch battery but still couldn't get it going. Instrument lights came on but then just a click when the starter button was pushed.

Said dealer then got some advice from a LR geek mate and, apparently, the non start was due to a relay switch behind the steering column being stuck and releasing / wiggling the steering column got the starting bit working. It did however manage to simultaneously cut power to the instrument binnacle!

I had an extended test drive (sans speedo et al, bit with the sat nav and audio working) and the car runs pretty smoothly considering the period of inactivity. Based on "she who must be obeyed" actually expressing a positive opinion about the car (a very rare event) I agreed to buy at a slightly discounted price on the condition that the dealer gets the starting / instruments fixed at a main dealer, gets a new MOT done, gets the brake discs cleaned, does a full interior and exterior valet and cleans up a door ding and rear bumper scrape.

I am definitely a non techie when it comes to the internal combustion engine and the bits that hold it off the road. Am I being misled about the starting problem or is this a known issue that will be easily resolved by a main dealer?

Since the car is out of warranty I am considering getting an after market warranty for a while (which appears expensive!). Is this a worthwhile step? The price reduction will cover about half the cost of a 12 month warranty.

My other concern came from reading the service history. The car is sitting at just over 45,000 and was last serviced in May (its third service, all from main dealers). On that service there was an advisory about replacing something to do with the fuel gauge (told you I was non techie) for an additional cost of £518! Can't remember the specifics but the deal agreed to check with the previous owner to ensure that it was followed up. Does this ring any more educated bells?

Thanks in advance for any help / advice. I have been driving a rear wheel drive / two seater for a number of years and now have to get sensible. The FL2 seems like the best combination of style, practicality and (with the i6) performance and I am looking forward to moving my driving position up a few feet!

Post #120945 21st Nov 2011 11:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

From your post my immediate reaction is walk away.
Too many little problems already and you haven't taken delivery yet.

I'd look at a similar aged TD4 HSE. The performance is still pretty good and the fuel consumption will be much better. The petrol i6 was withdrawn from the UK marekt because there was no real demand for it. Residuals when you come to sell it on will also I suspect be lower.

Post #120950 21st Nov 2011 12:10 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

personally in my opinion - walk away Arrow and look for a TD4 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #120953 21st Nov 2011 12:12 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

I endorse what others have said.
So few petrols about the technicians!!!! will have little or no experience working on them.
For all we criticise dealers and their service they will have much more experience working on diesels. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #120959 21st Nov 2011 12:51 pm
RegG

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Biscay Blue

I also agree with other forum members on this one - walk away before you spend your hard earned cash on something that you may end up being very unhappy with!! Take a good look around the LR dealers for an approved TD4 (HSE auto if that is what you want) and you will at least get a years LR warranty and should get some assurance that the car has been fully serviced. 2010 HSE TD4 auto, Biscay Blue, Almond Leather, facelift front and rear, detachable towbar, front & rear mudflaps, bib spoilers, clear high level brake light, smooth rear wiper, colour coded door handles.

Previous Land Rovers:
2007 Freelander 2 HSE i6 in Stornoway Grey
1991 Discovery 200tdi 3 door in blue

Post #120975 21st Nov 2011 1:47 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

unless you are buying it for a song, I would agree with the other posts and walk away briskly.

Iain

Post #120994 21st Nov 2011 3:43 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

worth reading on the net the experience of I6 owners in America, many seem to need new engines for unexplained reasons !
I too would walk away, you don't normally get mould on the belts till its been sitting 4-6 months, & with the steering column issue I would definitely pass as I have already experienced a dodgy column.
Unless its really really cheap buy a TD4. Loads of grunt with economey.

Post #121003 21st Nov 2011 4:37 pm
ad210358

England 

As above, walk away, better still, run, there are much better TD4's out there.

Post #121015 21st Nov 2011 5:30 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

If they cant get it right before you take it home, what chance is there of them fixing it once you have it.
WALK AWAY WHILE YOU STILL CAN. There will be a much better deal some where else, you just have to wait a little longrt thats all. Worth it in the end Thumbs Up

Post #121017 21st Nov 2011 5:38 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

if its cheap and the fault is simple then buy it. why not your getting a well specced car for the money.
I assume the i6 is cheap they generally are

obviously insist on a good warranty At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #121019 21st Nov 2011 6:01 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

trust a RRS owner to be in the minority!

Dont walk - RUN away. sound very suspect, perhaps its not been sitting in a field but rather a lake???? any goldfish in the glove box? sounds very fishy Embarassed sorry.....,

Post #121046 21st Nov 2011 8:30 pm
waaxh03

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

WALK AWAY WHILE YOU STILL CAN. Buy what you originally wanted. A TD4 will hold its price better.
Let us know what you decide

waaxh03

Post #121047 21st Nov 2011 8:32 pm
Triple7

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Walk! Nothing wrong with a well priced i6 HSE, with a LR warranty, BUT this car sounds like it's been sat for a while.

Visible signs of damp on the outside, may result on corrosion on the inside. Read electric issues & poss engine failure in future due seized components.

IF you get the Indy dealer to get it on to a LR full warranty (I.e. take it to LR) then maybe worth a shot, but I see trouble ahead. 2010MY Freelander 2 HSE Auto
Santorini Black with Ebony Napoli Leather

Post #121050 21st Nov 2011 8:40 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

its a car it may/may not breakdown again, just because the wheeler dealer cant fix it without help from LR doesnt mean its dead.

positives.

no clutch to worry about
full spec hse
turbos can fail on diesels
egr can fail on diesels
cheap, so cash left over for warranty

negs

thirsty
damp
some clowns been messing under the dash
i6 is relatively unknown - are they generally reliable?

two questions-
is it the right colour - black
has it had a dreaded towbar fitted At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #121052 21st Nov 2011 8:46 pm
RegG

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Biscay Blue

chicken george wrote:
has it had a dreaded towbar fitted

It needs a towbar to tow the fuel tanker thats required for long journeys! Rolling with laughter 2010 HSE TD4 auto, Biscay Blue, Almond Leather, facelift front and rear, detachable towbar, front & rear mudflaps, bib spoilers, clear high level brake light, smooth rear wiper, colour coded door handles.

Previous Land Rovers:
2007 Freelander 2 HSE i6 in Stornoway Grey
1991 Discovery 200tdi 3 door in blue

Post #121055 21st Nov 2011 8:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>