« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > EXTENDED WARRANTIES
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
commando

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
EXTENDED WARRANTIES

My Freelander is 4 years old next month and has done 41000 miles and luckily has never had a fault from new.The stealers now want £585 (without breakdown assistance) for another 12 months cover.Has anyone tried any other warranty companies and if so what were your experiences?Warranty direct want £380 for the same cover as Land Rover offer. My biggest worry is the diff going which sounds expensive to fix. Any thoughts anyone? Stornaway grey SE auto with 18" alloys

Last edited by commando on 16th Nov 2011 4:43 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #120412 16th Nov 2011 2:27 pm
dunroof

Save your dosh and take your chances. Although expensive to repair, the car is designed to keep going past 3 years!

These warranty companies make a damn good living out of car owners insecurities.

If anything, have a look at the AA. They do a breakdown/relay service with a limited warranty for just over a hundred. Do it via a cash back site and half the price!

Post #120413 16th Nov 2011 2:47 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: EXTENDED WARRANTIES

commando wrote:
My Freelander is nearly 4 years old and has done 41000 miles and luckily has never had a fault from new. My biggest worry is the diff going which sounds expensive to fix. Any thoughts anyone?

Well now we have the technology to make it a 2 wheel drive, if the diff develops a fault just remove it and chuck it away and have the big hole where it was, same as the TD2 is it? Though why anyone would want one of these things 2 wheel drive beats me, and the dealer and the mechanics at the Main Dealer said the same.

Post #120419 16th Nov 2011 3:24 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

I would agree with dunroof, and if you've never had any problems for over 3 years and 41000mls then there is a good chance you'll be ok.

you could always save something each month just in case !!

Iain

Post #120422 16th Nov 2011 3:28 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Funnily enough a guy at work bought an extended warranty for his Freelander 1 ES TD4. It is an 05 plate but when he bought it last year it came with 12 months cover so when it ran out he paid £530 for another 12 months with LR.

I spoke to him the other day and he said it went in with a suspension fault and some other issue regarding the front drivers side wheel. The bill would have been £650 so money well spent for him.

In theory though the FL2 is more reliable (at least that's what the motoring critics say) LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #120451 16th Nov 2011 8:01 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

you have to read the terms and conditions very carefully some leading warranty companies dont cover for fair ware and tare Big Cry Big Cry and you have paid all that money out and then you find you have got no cover because thay say its normal ware and tare its up to you then to prove otherwise Evil or Very Mad ,i would take a chance bank the money and find an independant repairer if you need it but fit genuine l/r parts to replace faulty/ worn parts Thumbs Up Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #120453 16th Nov 2011 8:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

It's a tough call, I decided against the second extended warranty at over £600 including assistance and opted for AA with their own breakdown warranty. Only time will tell if I did right, but I have started a car expenses fund just in case, if all goes well it will be a little savings!

Post #120454 16th Nov 2011 8:23 pm
ant

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Baltic Blue

I have paid out for 2 years extended warranty now, and am pleased that I did. Bear in mind that its payable over 10 months interest free, so you don't have to shell out all at once.

I had a problem last year when the air conditioning compressor was faulty, putting extra strain on the drive belts, all sorted under extended warranty, and the bill would have been over £800. This week the car battery went dead, and was quoted £108 per hour for diagnostic work!!, but free to extended warranty holders, so after a software download, and a courtesy wash/hoover - again, no charge.

For me its been worth it, and for the peace of mind, its all things in balance, a good thing. I remember too that it gives MOT insurance, with a fairly generous allowance, if I remember. FL2 TD4 S Baltic Blue, with twin electrics and towbar, roofrails, luggage cover, spare wheel and mudflaps.

Post #120471 17th Nov 2011 12:05 am
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Problem is that if you get your car fixed at the main dealer, you'll expect big bills.
Which extended warranty may pay for.
But my local Indy can do an awful lot for 500 quid. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #120474 17th Nov 2011 12:19 am
dunroof

I can understand people buying warranties. I used to negate this by buying new before the car was 3 years old! An expensive way to get a free warranty.

In truth, it doesn't matter one jot. I've saved myself a bomb on the FL2 , now 3.5 years old, 20k miles. I had been going to change it at 2 years old. 6.5k to change to exactly the same model. I can put that to the repair fund! Get a lot of repairs for that!

Post #120478 17th Nov 2011 7:53 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

My FL2 is April 08 and now 79K. I have just taken out the LR "Select" extended warranty costing £460 (or 10 x £46.00) which covers £3,000 per event up to value of car. Just today had a pre-warranty inspection done at Duckworths for £75.00 + VAT. Car sailed through, tech said he couldn't believe the mileage, looked and drove really well. (I already knew that Wink )
A check of its original warranty history showed it has had the level 1 rear diff upgrade plus rear wheel bearings. Also replaced a split intercooler pipe. SH shows very little work apart from services and tyres. Amazingly, still on the original clutch and DMF and it feels really good. (fingers crossed)
Am happy with the peace of mind of a LR warranty though, rather than WD or whatever. Thumbs Up 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #120562 17th Nov 2011 9:04 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Beware of aftermarket "warranties" When you read the small print you will find most are "mechanical breakdown insurance"
There is a vast difference, the component must have broken/failed.
Noisy steering rack requiring rack,pump and reservoir would be a very difficult one. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #120582 18th Nov 2011 12:00 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1