« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Auto Headlights not switching off
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
carguy

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Auto Headlights not switching off

Anyone got any idea how to adjust the auto headlamp sensors? The lights come on if driving in dull conditions, but then fail to switch off even if conditions change to glaring sunshine.........

thanks

Post #117018 16th Oct 2011 4:25 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

They won't switch off straight away if you drive from dull to bright, as you'll look like your flashing your lights at people everytime you drive under a light

There is no diy adjustment either or dealer adjustment Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #117019 16th Oct 2011 4:30 pm
Speedway

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue

Mine's the same, don't think you can adjust them except switch them off altogether. Gone, 2007 TD4 SE Auto Baltic blue, clear side repeaters, full sized alloy spare.

English by birth..... Yorkshire by the grace of God.

Post #117020 16th Oct 2011 4:33 pm
carguy

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Thanks for replies but the headlights stay on after auto switching on, they do not then switch off.

Had to have a new windscreen recently and I wonder if this could be the source of the problem as I think the sensors for auto-headlamps are embedded in the screen somewhere....

Post #117027 16th Oct 2011 5:35 pm
Speedway

The sensors are at the top of the screen behind the mirror. Gone, 2007 TD4 SE Auto Baltic blue, clear side repeaters, full sized alloy spare.

Post #117032 16th Oct 2011 5:52 pm
Chris B

United Kingdom 

Auto lights are slow to switch off. It has to be brighter after the shady/dark spot than before the lights came on. I've also had my screen changed and the light sensor comes off the old and goes back on the new so no difference there.
By the way, did you know that all the wiring and plug are there for an auto-dimming mirror; you just need to buy one, fit it, plug it in and put the plastic cover back Smile (no I have not done it - sure to be expensive for such a toy but if the driving mirror error needs changing...) Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #117037 16th Oct 2011 6:10 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I've had the same problem, but I've found a great solution:

I've switched the headlamp switch to the "off" position then, when I need them on, I switch it to the "on" position. When it gets light again, I reverse the procedure.

It works flawlessly, without any trips back to the dealer or requests for software upgrades. Wink

Can't understand why manufacturers haven't though of fitting this "manual" facility before Laughing

Post #117043 16th Oct 2011 6:29 pm
alex_pescaru

Flawlessly up to a point...
When your (personal) firmware starts to have problems, so the lights... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #117047 16th Oct 2011 6:34 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

My RRS has the same intelligent 'auto' light system, works well Thumbs Up At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #117049 16th Oct 2011 6:41 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

[rant]It is a point though; manufacturers are working hard to solve all sorts of "problems" that never existed - automatic wipers, automatic headlamps, boots that close without all of that tedious messing about having to close them by hand and best of all, and "insert key in slot and press button" solution to a "problem" that never existed Rolling Eyes Oh and don't get me started on electric hand brakes Evil or Very Mad

Now all they need to do is get to work redesigning the gear lever into something that takes twice as long to operate, three times as long to work out how it works and requires regular firmware upgrades to work at all Laughing
[/rant]

Post #117050 16th Oct 2011 6:41 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Auto lights are a bit of a timewaste in this country, but cars now have to be international. Try driving around Switzerland or Italy and you don't want to be hitting the light switch every few minutes for tunnels. Drive through any English road tunnel and you'll see that most people don't bother to put their lights on, but in most of Europe the lights are compulsory (and presumably they expect you to switch them off again, as they put reminders at the end of the tunnel). Auto lights make life a lot easier. And in the dark "unimproved" Italian tunnels the lights are definitely necessary!

Post #117086 16th Oct 2011 9:46 pm
nicam

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

I find that at this time of year a low sun can trigger the lights to come on and stay on - even though it still appears very light to your eyes - I presume that it is to do with a very bright light (sun) at one end of the car, with a much lower level elsewhere - so similar to oncoming headlights, which don`t switch the lights off.
I tend to look at other cars with Auto lights and find that the light level that they all switch on at is surprisingly consistent. Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Post #117155 17th Oct 2011 12:59 pm
BrianAbbott

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Ipanema Sand

My last car (BMW 3 series) had excellent auto-lighting that worked just fine. Sadly my FL2's auto-lights are nowhere near as good. Staying on for long after they should, not coming on when they should.

Interestingly, when on holiday in Canada this summer there were an awful lot of cars with auto lighting and most of them seemed to be just as bad as those on the FL2 - but over there people just seemed to leave them if they don't go off immediately; it obviously wasn't a big deal to them. Brian

MY11 FL2 SD4 GS
Extras to same spec as XS apart from the Satnav, plus Xenons.
Ipenema Sand, Ebony.

Post #117182 17th Oct 2011 4:06 pm
Speedway

BrianAbbott wrote:
My last car (BMW 3 series) had excellent auto-lighting that worked just fine. Sadly my FL2's auto-lights are nowhere near as good. Staying on for long after they should, not coming on when they should.

Interestingly, when on holiday in Canada this summer there were an awful lot of cars with auto lighting and most of them seemed to be just as bad as those on the FL2 - but over there people just seemed to leave them if they don't go off immediately; it obviously wasn't a big deal to them.

As far as I am aware these are day running lights and come on when drive is selected as my rental cars did this year in Ontario. Gone, 2007 TD4 SE Auto Baltic blue, clear side repeaters, full sized alloy spare.

Post #117242 17th Oct 2011 9:05 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

The thing i don't like with auto lights is that if the last position selected was main beam, then the next time they come on up springs main beam again thus dazzling oncoming drivers. A 'latching' switch would have been better. Having said that , the number of cars i've seen driving out of well lit supermarket and petrol station forecourts while it's dark .....

And the key in fob. Although not perfect, it's a safety feature and gets rid of the nasty barrel key switch which has caused so many knee injuries in an accident. I think the inconvience is a small price to pay. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #117256 17th Oct 2011 10:18 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>