« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Scandinavia > Scandinavian mode
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Dungenessbloke

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black
Scandinavian mode

When our TD4 HSE is delivered the dealer has offered to enable 'Scandinavian mode' so that we have daylight running lights.

Can someone confirm whether this enables the headlights on dipped or reduced power or whether is is the sidelights that are on.

Thanks. Andy

Post #116730 13th Oct 2011 10:23 am
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

hi i chose to have mine done the head & side lights are on all the time the engine is running headlamps are on dipped beam i had it reversed, this is land rovers cheep answer to DRL,s (daytime running lamps) which is a legal req on cars/vans reg early 2011 onwards commercial vehicles (trucks) will follow 2012 hope this helps Thumbs Up

ps my freelander 2011my spk was reg 2010 so i can have a choice rainy-city
xs

Post #116733 13th Oct 2011 10:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Calcul@tor

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Actually DLR are only required on new models launched (ie 'type approved') after 07 Feb 2011.

There may also be a Canadian option, which I think only turns on the lights when actually in gear (that's what there is for the D3 / D4 anyway).

Post #116747 13th Oct 2011 2:30 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

After having had DRL's on my previous Volvos, for the last 7-8 years and 250,000 miles or so, I'm glad to be rid of them! All three Volvo's blew headlamp bulbs with monotonous regularity and the last one's headlamps were so badly designed that I had to take it to the dealer each time a bulb needed changing Evil or Very Mad

Wouldn't choose to go back to them.

Post #116758 13th Oct 2011 4:49 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Calcul@tor wrote:
Actually DLR are only required on new models launched (ie 'type approved') after 07 Feb 2011.

Ah, I wondered why mine didn't have them! Thanks for that nugget of information. Thumbs Up

Post #116759 13th Oct 2011 4:51 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Tigger wrote:
After having had DRL's on my previous Volvos, for the last 7-8 years and 250,000 miles or so, I'm glad to be rid of them! All three Volvo's blew headlamp bulbs with monotonous regularity and the last one's headlamps were so badly designed that I had to take it to the dealer each time a bulb needed changing Evil or Very Mad

Never had a blown headlight bulb in nearly 20 years of DRL's in Norway Shocked . The last 11 years have also been trouble free Zenon years. I suggest something else caused your blown headlamp bulbs with monotonous regularity - like they being Volvos maybe Whistle 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #116768 13th Oct 2011 6:10 pm
bigalf1961

i agree with tigger thay are a bit of a nusance i had mine reversed back to standard Wink rainy-city
xs

Post #116779 13th Oct 2011 7:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndyC

How on earth can they be a bit of a nusance Rolling Eyes Rather the opposite as you never have to switch them on Confused
In any case you will have to get used to them one day when it is law in the UK as well, and about bloody time too Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #116784 13th Oct 2011 7:29 pm
bigalf1961

i had a few people comming out of junctions thinking that i had flashed them i put this down to the drl,s beeing the headlamp its self why they could not do as vw and citroen do and mount them seperate away from the headlamp unit. this may happen on the next generation freelander untill then we have to put with a simple switch on through the control unit i wonder how many dealers will start to charge for this switch on as i believe all freelander2 can be done if its wanted Exclamation rainy-city
xs

Post #116790 13th Oct 2011 7:47 pm
Dungenessbloke

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

Thanks for the replies. Given the choice I would prefer the subtler low powered headlamp look that VW's are sporting rather than in your face Xmas tree LED's.

Wonder why they thought headlamps and side lights on for DRL's was a good idea? Think I may pass on that option but need to see them first. Andy

Post #116817 14th Oct 2011 6:06 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

AndyC wrote:
Tigger wrote:

Never had a blown headlight bulb in nearly 20 years of DRL's in Norway Shocked . The last 11 years have also been trouble free Zenon years. I suggest something else caused your blown headlamp bulbs with monotonous regularity - like they being Volvos maybe Whistle

Considering that it happened on all three of the Volvos that I had, it's very unlikely to be a wiring fault that was common to all three. It was certainly a pain in the backside, always having to carry a spare bulb and knowing that I would have to change one every 3 to 6 months.

As they facelifted the V70, the newer design was impossible to change the headlamp bulb without taking it to a dealer.

During world war two, the Japanese successfully experimented with mounting powerful lamps to the front of their fighter aircraft to effectively make them invisible when attacking with the sun behind them! This is something I was always aware of when riding my motorbike in the early morning (with the sun low in the sky and right behind me), at which point, for safety, I would switch my headlamp off!

However, this hasn't been an option for new 'bikes for several years and will shortly no longer be an option for cars either.

In addition, when virtually every vehicle on the road has them, it is very likely to detract from the visibility of more vulnerable cyclists and pedestrians.

Just because DTRL's might seem like a good idea, it doesn't necessarily mean that they are.

Post #116824 14th Oct 2011 7:15 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

yet another reason not to by a volvo Thumbs Up I dont need much persuading Laughing At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #116826 14th Oct 2011 7:41 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

chicken george wrote:
yet another reason not to by a volvo Thumbs Up I dont need much persuading Laughing

They've produced some half decent cars (the previous generation S60 / V70 / S80), but it's I can't see that anything that they currently build is remotely remarkable.

Post #116838 14th Oct 2011 9:38 am
AndyC

Tigger wrote:
chicken george wrote:
yet another reason not to by a volvo Thumbs Up I dont need much persuading Laughing

They've produced some half decent cars (the previous generation S60 / V70 / S80), but it's I can't see that anything that they currently build is remotely remarkable.

Glad to see you mentioned they were only Half Decent - thought the Amazon or possibly P1800 were the only decent car (in their time) they ever produced Laughing 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #116847 14th Oct 2011 12:04 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Tigger wrote:
chicken george wrote:

Rolling Eyes which half was decent? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #116856 14th Oct 2011 6:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>