Home > My Freelander 2 > A Nice Place to be
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Andy131

United Kingdom 
A Nice Place to be

Let me set the scene
It’s Friday afternoon, you need to wind down after an emotional end to the week where at the final project meeting your passion for design might have gotten a little vocal. Fortunatly there is a 40 mile drive home to look forward to, plenty of time to de-stress. You open the door to your Freelander and step up into your favourite leather clad armchair, that at the touch of a button adjusts to your comfortable position. The engine starts first time and you slip her into gear, letting the silky smooth auto box take care of the gear changes. Queen (insert rock band of your choice) is wafting out of the umpteen speaker sound system (set to 30) and the baseline is gently massaging your kidneys through the seat lumber support. The climate control is set to 19 deg. C cooling your frustration and feet.
Within minutes you are progressing down the outside lane of the motorway, drivers window open so that the sound of the mud terrain tyres massaging the tarmac drifts in through the window. From you elevated driving position you spot trouble ahead, in the shape of a small hatchback pirouetting in the middle lane. Cars immediately in front start to take avoiding action, but you with 4 wheels drive and a host of electronic gadgets, apply the brakes and stop comfortably short of the vehicle in front that has come to a halt at a silly angle.

Not a nice place to be is in the Nissan Almera following too close behind. You hear the sound of sliding tyres, the sickening crunch of metal, plastic and glass. A force like a huge hand forces you back into your seat, no air bags deploy, the CD player has stopped as the impact causes a miss read, so it’s suddenly silent. It’s a good accident that you can walk away from, you thank your lucky stars you were driving a Land Rover, and check on the condition of the driver behind.
He won’t be driving anywhere for a while but no obvious injuries.

Forget the pleasure of driving, the fun offroad, the comfort, the reliability (well mine has been), the camaraderie of other Land Rover owners, the best reason to drive a Freelander is the knowledge that in an accident there is no safer place to be.

Thank you Land Rover in the design department, thank you for the lads and lasses in Halewood who build them, and most of all thank you Gill who suggested that I get the first Freelander after a couple of colleges were killed at the wheel. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #113573 17th Sep 2011 8:32 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Shocked Sounds like a nightmare to me, at least your ok Thumbs Up

Wasn't you going away soon in it? How you feeling today?

Shows you they are worth the money for the safety they provide Cool Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #113575 17th Sep 2011 8:42 am
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Sorry to hear about your accident!

Was there much damage to your FL2?

As you say its not our vehicles that are often the problem or cause it's the other numpties who don't know how to drive corrrectly or safely.

Hope everything gets sorted smoothly.... 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #113576 17th Sep 2011 8:43 am
taztastic

England 

Sorry to hear that, Andy, hope you are OK, don't assume you are fine, make sure.

Post #113577 17th Sep 2011 8:46 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the concern lads
Just shaken and sore.

Don't need the car for a couple of weeks as we fly out today on our holidays.

The car is bent but driveable as long as you don't want to open the tailgate.

Don't hold out much hope of making the October bash in my car, look on the bright side, i'll get to test the hire car off road. Mr. Green just hope it's not a mini. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #113578 17th Sep 2011 9:15 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I hear that good luck is just a positive state of mind, with the ability to look on a situation and always see the positives outcomes of it. Your view on an otherwise bad day makes really uplifting reading!

Glad to hear you're okay and hope that your Freelander is back on the road soon.

PS: No, you really don't want a MINI after the Freelander; been there, done that, wouldn't want to go back now!

Post #113582 17th Sep 2011 9:29 am
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Put a whiplash claim in as everyone else does these days! Thumbs Up

Post #113596 17th Sep 2011 1:43 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Glad you're ok and I hope the insurance stealers sort the Freelander out properly. While I really do appreciate the safety of our Freelanders we must resist the feeling of vulnerability that you can get. There is always something bigger than you. Mind you I don't really like driving our Peugeot 206 now we've got the FL2, especially after seeing one compressed into about a cubic metre by some phone toting hgv driver who did't see the queue stopped in front of him. The pore girl driving the 206 did't stand a chance.
Have a good holiday and hopefully the FL2 will be well on it's way to being fixed when you get back.

Post #113612 17th Sep 2011 4:23 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Be very very careful of being introduced to "Claims Management Companies".

They can be very bad for your wealth. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #113614 17th Sep 2011 4:32 pm
Hicksy

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

I would have cut the nissian drivers b Censored Ks off if it was me then asked if he was ok
Glad your ok though Thumbs Up

Post #113700 18th Sep 2011 2:32 pm
stu_007

United Kingdom 

Oh dear, sorry to hear of your accident but glad you're ok. Also glad that another rare G4 vehicle will still be kept on the road!!! Keep me informed about your attendance at the offroading event, as I'd rather write about three than two!! Previous owner of;
2008 F2 HSE G4 Mongolian Recce Vehicle "AVJ"

Confusious says: "If it should move and doesn't use WD40; if it moves and it shouldn't, use Duct tape!!!"

Post #113701 18th Sep 2011 2:44 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver
Re: A Nice Place to be

Andy131 wrote:
Forget the pleasure of driving, the fun offroad, the comfort, the reliability (well mine has been), the camaraderie of other Land Rover owners, the best reason to drive a Freelander is the knowledge that in an accident there is no safer place to be.

Thank you Land Rover in the design department, thank you for the lads and lasses in Halewood who build them, and most of all thank you Gill who suggested that I get the first Freelander after a couple of colleges were killed at the wheel.

Glad you are OK mate, but how true the statement above is.

Post #113715 18th Sep 2011 3:59 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

glad you unhurt, that's atleast two members on here safe after rear end prangs At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #113729 18th Sep 2011 5:18 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Good news

Clementine is back, took a long time and a lot of graft but worth it. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
She shouldn't rust for a while, apparently Tangiers Orange is a pig to match after 3 years in the sun (or rain in Manchester), painted rear and all 4 doors, when dried did not match, so resprayed the whole lot in a closer shade again - still doesn't match the roof, but how many people stand on the rear ladder looking down on the car?
So smooth after the Saab auto, gorgious noise of MT/Rs rumbling along, brilliant colour, can't wait to get her covered in mud and hawthorn scratches. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #124211 19th Dec 2011 12:26 am
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Indeed good news, that's taken some doing but bet your glad your 'back to normal' Thumbs Up

Post #124225 19th Dec 2011 9:01 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>