Home > Technical > airbag light "on"
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
jefandjax

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Whistler White
airbag light "on"

Good evening all

I broke the FL2 last weekend by washing it under the bonnet. how silly of me to think that an Off-Roader would fail when washed down, had to call the RAC who plugged in his machine and low and behold fixed( see my other postings) anyway bought a Hawkeye at the LRO show ,seemed like that i would need it each time i wash the car and to diagnose an airbag light "on" plugged in the hawkeye read the fault codes there were none, did a DTC clear just incase but the light is still "on" any ideas!!!

thanks

jef

Post #112904 12th Sep 2011 8:06 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

My air bag light just came on by it's self. Turned out to be the seat belt pretensioner!

Post #112905 12th Sep 2011 8:15 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

You certainly don't want to be driving around with the airbag lamp on!
Could be difficult to find although i'm at a loss as to why cleaning underbonnet makes a difference as all the airbag circuits are 'in cab'.
Even the slightest increase in resistance can bring the lamp on; whether you'd be prepared to unplug/plug every airbag connector which might still not solve the problem.
'Faid failing much good luck, it's one of those that needs a visit to the dealer. They should easliy diagnose which circiut is at fault. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #112934 12th Sep 2011 10:44 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Possible seat belt tensioner fault. Please dont think I am having you on with this fix.
Often bad earth from seat to chassis, sitting on seat move it back and forward on runners few times, the full distance bumping it off the stops at each end. Ignition off. Drivers seat most likely.
Not accusing you but cigarette ash was one of the main culprits. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #112938 12th Sep 2011 11:12 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

i've had a number of airbag light on incidents and been to a fro from the garage with it... the problem with airbags is that the circuitry is very sensitive so the slightest change in resistance will ignite the light.

What I don't get though is the lack of errors on the computer. The first time I had the problem, it would come on and stay on for at least 3 restarts and then clear itself, suggesting that it was symptomatic of an actual fault and the computer was clearing it after 3 times When I went to the garage however it 'apparently' did not show any fault, however they replaced the seat airbag harness on the drivers side as this was a known fault. It still played up so I took it to the supplying dealer (Lancaster Reading) and the excellent service manager found a loose connection on the cable into the airbag module which is apparently under the center console. Once this was tightened up it has been good for at least 9 months..

Just recently though I have had the light come on again. First couple of times it seamed to coincide with the wife putting her feet on the dash, but recently it did it with just a passenger sitting in the seat. On all three occasions the light went out after only 1 restart.

I'm yet to work out what it is but it is going in for a service tomorrow so will see if anything is on the computer. Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #112965 13th Sep 2011 11:13 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

your hawk eye should of found an air bag light fault under " air bags" have you looked in body control module or instruments for stored faults ?

Also check the engine ECU as due to a wet poly-belt when you first started up the belt may of been slipping and the battery voltage was low and the air bag light was triggered due to low voltage.

I would check all the modules with the hawkeye for a fault.

My air bag light was on and off for 3 years and eventually it was traced to a crash sensor that had never been configured but the fault was found in the BCM and not the SRS

Post #112967 13th Sep 2011 11:38 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

Be wary of computer readings on this. Airbag light faults are usually loose connections. The first time this happened to me (on a Disco2) the dealer (in NW London) put it on the computer and told me it required a new driver's airbag. An independent wiggled the big yellow connector under the passenger seat and cured it for free. Second time I wiggled it, as it were, myself. While the FL2 may have different systems, it is still worth hunting down the connectors and giving them a bit of aggro to make sure the connection works. NB: Always do this with ignition OFF! Fiddling with the system with ignition on is a very bad idea.

Post #112969 13th Sep 2011 11:45 am
jefandjax

Hello All
Thanks for the info, the light comes on for the light check then goes off for a second or so then come on and stays on

I will have a look at the connectors in the system and disconnect, clean and reconnect them in turn and see if the light goes out what does surprise me is the lack of faults on the hawkeye i would hve thought that the light fault would show up a DTC somewhere

however some modules are not beening seen by the hawkeye IE unable to read transmission DTC along with other modules, i am sending a list to omitec later to see what they think, i have onlt had a a day so it might be a mistake on my part

thanks

jef

Post #112973 13th Sep 2011 12:35 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I have Omitec Landrover diagnostics as well as Autodiagnos ( part of Omitec group )and its really good on L/R's
Omitec used to be the diagnostic equipment supplier for Landrover. I have used many Hawkeye's and they are very good as they use the same diagnostic platform. It sounds like you may have an issue or a faulty lead !

Post #113121 14th Sep 2011 9:06 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Had this warning light on a few times and reported it to the Dealer. Was told that it is normally due to a faulty electrical connection in the wiring loom under the drivers seat. Replacement is, I was told "not easy" which means expensive I guess as the drivers seat has to be removed etc. I was also informed that if the light is on then the drivers airbag may not function in an emergency Shocked
However after being on for a week or two and numerous seat adusting, due to long legs and short arses who use Freely, the light went out so one assumes it has been a loose connection (i hope).
This has happened several times during the last 2-years and as its off now, I forget to have anything done about it, if it comes on again maybe I will Question 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #113126 14th Sep 2011 10:18 am
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Andy C,
Read my post on this subject 12th sept. Its the 4th post on this thread. Bang the seat back and forward, works most times. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #113307 14th Sep 2011 11:57 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

druand wrote:
Andy C,
Read my post on this subject 12th sept. Its the 4th post on this thread. Bang the seat back and forward, works most times.

Its not easy to "bang" the electric seat back and forward.........its a slowwwwwwwwww electical procedure Laughing 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #113369 15th Sep 2011 1:26 pm
jefandjax

I am going to have a look at the wiring this weekend, as for the seat its a manual operation ,so much banging of the seat will take place also just in case.

Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head

Post #113372 15th Sep 2011 3:06 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

druand wrote:

Often bad earth from seat to chassis, sitting on seat move it back and forward on runners few times, the full distance bumping it off the stops at each end. Ignition off. Drivers seat most likely.

If it does earth through the seat runners then it's bad design. Normally the airbag firing earth circuits go back to a dedicated earth stud. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #113383 15th Sep 2011 7:05 pm
flycop2000

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Two 60 plate Discos at work, both airbag lights have been on for the last couple of months, Stratstone Landrover cannot find the fault however the company that does the auto electrics for us found dampness under the carpets in each footwell. Dampness in the wiring loom perhaps?
Two vehicles, Very Happy the same problem?

Post #113502 16th Sep 2011 4:28 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>