Home > Technical > airbag light "on"
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

jefandjax,
You got this sorted yet?
I'm concerned that you could be driving around with a system that might not fire should you be unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident.
And your insurance would be null and void for any personel injury. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #113940 19th Sep 2011 10:20 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

I'm stilling having problems - in fact it seams to be worse since coming out of the dealers after asking them to look at it...

mine seams to happen when there is something going on with the passenger seat.. for example, when Mrs CW put her feet on the dash, when my eldest lad (who is Cool was sitting on with a booster and the other day when MRS CW put her handbag on it it came on.

Dealer said there were no faults and so could not trace it. When I told them about the foot on dash thing they mentioned that the occupancy sensor has a threshold of about 8st and so this may have triggered it, however I am convinced even if the occupancy sensor does not sense a person over 8st, the airbag light should not come on... should it?

I am now wondering after reading much in t'interweb if this is a fault with the passenger occupancy sensor? or just loose connectors on the passenger seat. I'm gonna have a fiddle later see if make any difference, but has anyone else had problems with the occupancy sensor? Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #113999 20th Sep 2011 11:30 am
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Captain Worm wrote:
I'm gonna have a fiddle later see if make any difference,

Just mind your fingers, hands and arms - others have reported sharp things under the seats.... Thumbs Up 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #114000 20th Sep 2011 11:33 am
Sebba92

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

In mine, problem with airbags system was a loose connection on passenger airbag switch ( this one where you must use the key).

Post #114173 21st Sep 2011 8:45 am
Captain Worm

Turns out I need a new Drivers Airbag - over £500 i'm told Shocked

I'm starting to get nervous now as I only have a month left of my extended warranty... am I making a big mistake not renewing it?

Anyone else had problems with the actual airbags failing? It strikes me as the sort of thing to be impacted by some other component in the system? Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #114822 26th Sep 2011 3:42 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

All I would say to that is that a NW London dealer told me I needed a new driver's airbag when all it was was a loose connection. If it's under warranty, go with it. If not, I'd get a second opinion. IMHO extra warranty on any LR is a good idea - the vehicles are complicated and repairs expensive. I haven't had ANY warranty claims yet on mine, but I keep my fingers crossed and pay up just in case. Interesting that LR will only provide a full warranty for 5 years, or limited warranty for 10 years/100 000 miles. Mine will be going when it reaches that point!

Post #114835 26th Sep 2011 6:05 pm
Captain Worm

under warranty still so I'll get done whatever s needed Thumbs Up

reluctant to pay for an extra warranty TBH, firstly because I am tight and cant afford it, secondly, its not caused me any major problems to date so I am thinking that the money I will save from the Warranty will go toward any repairs should I need them.

I generally only keep my cars for 2 yrs anyway so am hoping it'll last *touching wood* Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #114871 26th Sep 2011 9:21 pm
grumpy57

United Kingdom 

word of caution - had driver's airbag replaced last August under warranty - ok for several months - airbag light now coming on again but intermittently - dealership will only start inspection for £120/hr plus VAT - looking for other options

Post #147428 2nd Jul 2012 9:21 am
Captain Worm

Hey grumpy - turns out mine was a loose connection under the console activated by the rear screen control box...

Word of worming to anyone messing inside the centre console. If you get an airbag light, check all connections under the console as it is likely to be here that's causing the problem. Thumbs Up Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #147430 2nd Jul 2012 10:49 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

grumpy57 wrote:
word of caution - had driver's airbag replaced last August under warranty - ok for several months - airbag light now coming on again but intermittently - dealership will only start inspection for £120/hr plus VAT - looking for other options

i would look at a local independent, cheaper £/hr, or check the post above and check yourself

Post #147432 2nd Jul 2012 11:27 am
grumpy57

United Kingdom 

Thanks for suggestions received so far - think have decided to take to local service chap not MAIN dealership as I have more faith in him as trustworthy and fair plus cheaper.

Post #147477 2nd Jul 2012 7:57 pm
nectop

Russia 

hello everyone. I also have pretensioner failure. I checked connection under the seat, everything seems to be ok. I heard that there are other connectors need to be checked, what are these connectors?

Post #196897 29th Aug 2013 7:11 am
WarriorBez

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

The airbag light came on the other day in the wife's car and a quick read on this super forum it's now off! Moving the seats back and forth cleared the fault, Thumbs Up Bow down Black FL2
L200 Warrior

Post #222490 19th Apr 2014 5:38 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

The difference I think is that the LR dealer will just plug it into the computer, which will light up a fault in a particular unit. An indy is more likely to check the wiring. In my own experience and from what I've read on the forums it's usually a wiring connection somewhere. Word of warning - NEVER check the connections with the ignition on. Exploding airbags can do a lot of damage AND are expensive. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #222514 19th Apr 2014 10:13 pm
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

two thoughts..........
There has been a recall on 'replacing the clockspring'; ignoring the possibly misleading description it is part of the electric connector of radially sliding contacts between the fixed steering column and the rotating steering wheel. It carries all the signals between the steering wheel electric functions for horn, phone, radio etc which of course has to include the airbag.
second thought, I used to sort a lot of engine management faults on Vauxhall cars of the 90's by unfastening engine harness connectors, repeating the clip / unclip 3 times per connector to scuff clean each contact pin. It solved so may problems. On Airbag circuits though you MUST disconnect the car battery for about 15 minutes before proceeding.
Kind regards from Fred
. 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #222545 20th Apr 2014 10:09 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>