Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > LR Trailair designed for FL2 cheaper by comparison
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 
LR Trailair designed for FL2 cheaper by comparison

I noticed a banner over on Disco3 the other day regarding the Trailair tyre pressure/reversing camera system offering 20% discount on there kit

I thought Cool Cool and clicked the banner and went through to investigate reading the website on the freelander 2 i thought it looked a good system, reading the info and watching the demo video on this page

Quote:
This product was designed with the Freelander in mind from the outset. The replacement mirror fits seamlessly into the existing mounting and the very discrete rear hitch assist camera is the only clue as to the system being fitted. Until the ignition is switched on and the “Trailair by Land Rover” logo appears in the mirror or you reverse perfectly in line with the hitch.

Reading this, and seeing a 20% off logo on the banner (albeit it does say D3/RRS) , it transpires that even though the kit was designed for the Freelander2 in mind, they are only offering us a set 10% "online" discount Rolling Eyes

Personally I think this is bad practice, and left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, we as Freelander 2 owners don't have a option to upgrade to a system that incorporates the reversing camera, like you can do dependant on what spec D4/RRS you may choose. Maybe thats why they have given the others the bigger discount, who knows? make the bigger profit of those who have no option.

Also, whilst I am ranting,

the video has some errors, they show a FL2 mock up towing a trailer with a 2000kg weight in it, they would be breaking the limits by towing this as they haven't taken into account the weight of the trailer itself,

The guy shows a PSI display for the car showing 36,37,37,37psi which he says "are correct" actually that are 1-2psi higher than LR guidelines (based on my 19" wheels)

Also on a extra side point IF you have Tyron bands fitted there is a FAQ

What if I have tyrons fitted?
Tyron have a bracket to suit pressure sensors, consult Tyron for details.

Are they saying that i would have to buy new tyron bands aswell as not getting a the larger of the two discount Evil or Very Mad

Thread Title changed due to great customer service and responces from TrailAir - Credit Were Credits due Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Last edited by npinks on 13th Sep 2011 10:34 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #112830 12th Sep 2011 10:19 am
Martin
Site Admin & Owner

United Kingdom 

Nick, have you given them a call or email to check?

Post #112831 12th Sep 2011 11:00 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

I haven't bothered when this system idea was first launched I was really interested in it made all the contact with them to ask them to keep me informed, never received anything, it has also taken quite a while from idea to launch too

Now I expect that i will only have this car for a further year and i am unsure what I will be swapping to next, depends on what carrot LPR dangle in front of me Laughing

I just find it strange and it clearly states on their website the discounts are offered for D3 & RRS, but not the car they claim it was designed for, I suppose they could also have a similar rant on the defender forum Laughing

I would call them, if I was positive that i would be able to swap and use it in my next FL2 or whatever, but my towing season nearly over in a month or two till march next year (too cold for the kids and wife) i can't see the point in getting it fitted now and my car will be 3yr old in June out of warranty and due to be changed, so it will be a lot of expense for 3 months towing if a swap there and then.

If my next car, doesn't have a revering/hitching camera i will defiantly be calling them, as this system coupled with the tyre pressure system is exactly what i want Thumbs Up

Sorry to rant on something, i technically won't be buying straight away, but hey thats what forums are for Embarassed

Obviously if my rant effects forum sponsorship, then please feel free to remove Smile Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #112832 12th Sep 2011 11:32 am
Martin
Site Admin & Owner

United Kingdom 

I know they're not some big faceless business, they are a family concern so will certainly take feedback on board, and are keen to use the forums to do so - it's worth getting in touch.

Post #112835 12th Sep 2011 12:00 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

@Martin

I have decided to email them and let them know my thoughts on their advertising campaign.

I'm not asking for them to give Freelander 2 owners a discount or anything, but I can't see the logic in offering a discount to the D3/4 and/or the RRS and excluding the Freelander.

If the D3/4 or RRS had a different price if they was utilising the existing parts in the car, like screens, wiring looms, then that should be reflected in price of the unit not in a discount been offered. Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #112838 12th Sep 2011 12:39 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I have had a good response from the above and it is something I will still consider after I have had a couple more questions answered, on this or my next car anyway

EDIT: With TrailAirs explanation as to why discount differ and their welcome response to feedback, I feel my thread title needed changing, I have since done a bit more digging and the system seems very competitively priced (subject to your fitters costs) when you compare it to others separate systems on the market. Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Last edited by npinks on 13th Sep 2011 10:37 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #112866 12th Sep 2011 5:21 pm
ad210358

England 

I also registered an interest a while back and they said they would email me when it came available, they never did though. Though on further investigation I do think it is a bit overpriced. I also had a quote from a local company quoting in the region of £120 to fit.

Post #112928 12th Sep 2011 10:19 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

It is a lot of money but much better over what I have seen out there

There are TPMS and they are reversing cameras

So if you take the Disco3 reversing camera at £199 plus fitting and extra FL2 looms required

Then you take a separate tyrepal TPMS unit £325 for a car and twin axle (8 sensors) ( i couldn't find a price for Tyrons version) you'll also have a separate display to hide away in the car when parked up not a nice and neat one

So at £525 + £120 fitting that's £645 or £524 for the separate units which if this could be DIY Fitted makes the trail air reasonable'ish though the extra things like compatable Tyron bands might scupper it with fitting Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #112936 12th Sep 2011 11:00 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

If you order a new car and ask for this to be fitted prior to it's PDI I wonder what warranty you would get??? Would it be just like getting roof bars and other options that are covered for the 3 years Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #112937 12th Sep 2011 11:07 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Just found out the price for Tyron TPMS, makes the TrailAir system look cheap in comparison

Quote:
4 x TPMS ONLY without installation - £ 291.00
extra sensors - £46.29
The Complete package of Tyron bands with Pressure Monitoring including installation
4 wheels x Tyron Bands with TPMS – £510.00
Extra Wheel £110.00

6 wheels x Tyron Bands with TPMS – £700.00
Extra Wheel £110.00

So with a Fl2 and twin axle caravan you'll be looking at £920 and then the cost of a reversing camera if the bank balance would allow it Shocked Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #112962 13th Sep 2011 10:31 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

thinking about this today

the trailair system is a replacement rear view mirror, which incorporates the video screen and the auto dimming feature

On my HSE, what else is incorporated in the mirror itself?

I think it has a sensor in it for something to do with the aircon Confused Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #113494 16th Sep 2011 2:58 pm
ad210358

England 

Also to add to your fitting costs is the fitting of the sensors to the wheels and rebalancing. Thumbs Up

Post #113528 16th Sep 2011 8:12 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Often get my wheel rebalanced through the year anyway, bit more dosh for the tyre squeezed to fit a sensor would be too much Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #113534 16th Sep 2011 8:37 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

After a meet with our resident 'organiser' earlier this week when driving home I squeezed it gently into 3 figures + (Via the private test track obviously Wink ) and I got a bit of a steering judder, only slight but worth a look. £10 for the front two wheels to be re-balanced, back onto the 'private test track' and it's like an new'un Thumbs Up

Post #113537 16th Sep 2011 8:52 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

£920 goes along way at holidaycottages.com At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #113542 16th Sep 2011 9:14 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>