Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Have LR resolved the DPF issue?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

8700 miles in my TD4 and no DPF issues yet!

Post #112404 7th Sep 2011 8:04 pm
pvb

2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

My TD4 (March 11, 9000 miles) died this week with amber light and reduced performance. LR Assistance guy said software update needed, but after an hour or so he couldn't do it so asked me to take it to the dealership. Car is VIN 227429 so is out of the range of VINs quoted in other posts as being susceptible. Dealer says new sensor needed, which unsurprisingly they don't have.

However, LR Assistance have arranged for Enterprise to give me a free rental car. It's only a RR VogueSE, £80K worth of electronics on wheels, and seemingly almost as economical as my FL2 (how do they do that?). So, I'm quite happy for the dealer to take their time...

Post #123202 10th Dec 2011 6:21 pm
taztastic

England 

pvb wrote:
It's only a RR VogueSE, £80K worth of electronics on wheels, and seemingly almost as economical as my FL2.......which is in the garage

0 mpg then, that's about right Laughing Welcome to Freel2 Thumbs Up

Post #123207 10th Dec 2011 6:30 pm
pvb

2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

Did about 100 fairly quick miles yesterday and trip computer said 34mpg. Didn't exceed 80mph though.

Post #123221 10th Dec 2011 7:22 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

i have one of the first my2011 off the production line del sept2010 i have only had one issue with the dpf Big Cry it req sensor and up date had this done at 4000 miles not had a problem since,you must advise you friend he must read the leaflet and learn how to maintain the dpf if he is doing a lot of town driving diesel may not be a good buy as all manufactures say deisels with dpf must be maintained to keep the dpf from beeing blocked l/r recomend a 20/30 min run with the engine revs above 2,000 rpm should burn the crap from the filter,the aa say that if you are dooing a lot of town driving buy a petrol, if you do a fair amount of mixed urban/motorway he should be ok or he could find a late 2010 model thats got no dpf fitted.all as i do is once a month take it for a good run on the motorway at about 80mph in 5th gear for 1/2 hour. i do believe ther was a posting on the forum that using one of the advanced fuels can be benificial too Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #123242 11th Dec 2011 7:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
marklad2020

Switzerland 

My previous car was a 2006 Audi A3 - one of the first to be fitted with a DPF. At the time Audi forums were full of severe DPF problems. Despite this, and despite 90% of my journeys being short hops around town at low speed I never experienced any problem. Theories abound, including fuel type, driving style, luck, etc.

You never know, you could be lucky..

Post #123243 11th Dec 2011 8:51 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

bigalf1961 wrote:
i do believe ther was a posting on the forum that using one of the advanced fuels can be benificial too Thumbs Up

That was the advice I got from LR Experience at Luton.
It has also been pointed out that the oil recommended by LR is not necessarily suitable for DPF fitted engines, although this is complicated - generally, DPF engines require a C3 spec oil, but this does not suit all motors. Not clear whether LR motor is suitable for C3 oil (I haven't got DPF so haven't looked into this!). The thread at http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic2863.html relates but may be out of date by now.
For those who want to know all about DPF, there's quite a lot on Wikipedia.

Post #123247 11th Dec 2011 10:51 am
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

There is an article in the Jan.2012 issue of Landrover Owner International Magazine about the MY 2012 Defender with aprrox 10 column inches dealing with DPF's.

It is to long to type out and at the moment I do not have a scanner.

But from this article there is no doubt that LR are well aware of DPF problems and at least on the Defender appear to be working to resovle it.

Bill T. Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #123253 11th Dec 2011 11:36 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12