« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Crack on wall
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 
Crack on wall

At the house, There is a single storey extension, when i moved in whilst a roofer/buildeer was replacing a tile i asked him to look at a crack which followed the pointing front the corner of the patio door upwards, also a smaller one from the other top corner. Also a crack in one corner on the inside this was filled and hasn't cracked since

He chased the pointing out and re did it for me. But i have noticed the crack has come back following the same line or there about

How do i go about finding out whether it was done right, or there is movement maybe due to the lintel above the door or even worse subsidence Question Has anybody had similar or in the game to pass on a opinion Question

Photo to follow Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #111110 25th Aug 2011 11:48 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Following newer pointing

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #111113 25th Aug 2011 12:00 pm
EYorkshire

I think you can rule out subsidence Shocked
Nearly every house has 'stress' points like that at lintels and window edges. I would say it is 'settlement' cracks and the pointing may not have been deep enough. Thumbs Up

Post #111115 25th Aug 2011 12:07 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

check to see if colonel gadafi is hiding in there, he could be anywhere At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #111116 25th Aug 2011 12:26 pm
2herring

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Havana

Agree with CG so brace yourself for a NATO airstrike and minor cracking then the least of your worries.

Seriously, it doesn't seem too much to worry about. From your photo it seems that this wall is a single story extension with a lean to roof. The roof will press down and out on the rear wall if the rafters are not supported along their length adequately enough and you often then get cracking over a side window. Agree that the pointing might not have been deep enough or too strong a mortar mix used with too high a cement content and so there has been some shrinkage. I would also check the underside of the roof framework to make sure the rafters are adequately supported to prevent outward pressure on the rear wall resulting in the cracking you have seen.

These comments made without prejudice ie don't think about suing. Thumbs Up

Post #111122 25th Aug 2011 1:28 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Cool looks like one less thing to sort by the sounds of it,

I years to come I am planning on building on top too an extending the rear so things like footing can be inspected then and most likely underpinned Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #111123 25th Aug 2011 1:37 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

2herring wrote:

Seriously, it doesn't seem too much to worry about. From your photo it seems that this wall is a single story extension with a lean to roof. The roof will press down and out on the rear wall if the rafters are not supported along their length adequately enough and you often then get cracking over a side window. Agree that the pointing might not have been deep enough or too strong a mortar mix used with too high a cement content and so there has been some shrinkage. I would also check the underside of the roof framework to make sure the rafters are adequately supported to prevent outward pressure on the rear wall resulting in the cracking you have seen.

The what on the what what?

Post #111135 25th Aug 2011 3:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

Laughing

I understood it all, i suppose the fact the extension has been up since 1990 something, should rule a lot out

I want some of the original house pointing looking at, and all i hear is its a long and boring job grinding the old and then adding the new and nobody wants to do it, but i'll keep looking, i don't know if a full repoint is a DIY job Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #111138 25th Aug 2011 3:56 pm
2herring

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Havana

A DIY pointing job would look like a CRV/Rav4/Sorrento/Outlander/Forester etc ie s**t.

Post #111141 25th Aug 2011 4:20 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Rolling with laughter you could be right Embarassed Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #111142 25th Aug 2011 5:16 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

npinks wrote:
Rolling with laughter you could be right Embarassed

The house looks like its fairly oldish? 1950-70's? like my parents the concrete lintels over the windows was only supporting the inner brickwork and not the outer brickwork above the windows, now this was fine when the house was built and solid and substantial window frames were fitted to support the brickwork above them, however when they had UPVC windows fitted, as it looks like you have, they werent strong enough to support the brickwork above them without the lintel and thus the bricks over a period of 5 years started to crack in the same pattern as yours has.
Now all houses and particularly those with UPVC windows have lintels that support the inner and outer brickworkso the windows dont have to support any load.

Post #111152 25th Aug 2011 7:14 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

House was built in 70's, this door is in an extention built in the 90's, I can see a galvanised lintel above this opening which looks to have been in since the extention was done (it does not look like it's been cut out) Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #111156 25th Aug 2011 7:24 pm
Cannonball

2011 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Lago Grey

If you think it is slowly getting worse you could pop down to your local builders merchant and pick up a couple of glass 'telltales', stick them over the mortar joints and see if they break. Doesn't look too bad from the photo, generally a common situation. Could be slight settlement although any settlement should have stopped within a few years of construction. If your house is built on a clay soil you may get intermittent shrinkage and 'heave' due to changes in moisture content. Suggest you just watch for any water ingress at the pointing if the wall is on a weether face.

Post #111166 25th Aug 2011 8:27 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I'm keeing my eyes on it, and may get a builder in to have his opinion on it and some other work Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #111176 25th Aug 2011 9:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1