« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Mobile Phone Bluetooth “dalek” effect/fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
gusmagoo

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Mobile Phone Bluetooth “dalek” effect/fault

I was happy when my new Samsung Galaxy S2 mobile easily paired with my new (to me) 57 plate HSE, but the quality of calls is troublesome.
When I receive calls, it appears to be fairly clear and of acceptable quality for a car based system, but when I ring someone from the car, via the system, the sound is distorted so much it is difficult to hear what people are saying.
They just sound like a darlek. It seems to resonate to the sound of the engine like a badly tuned radio...
Has anyone else found this? Do you think it’s the phone? Or the car?
Most frustrating
I will try another phone tomorrow… 57 HSE AUTO with H.I.D's - Grey with Black leather. (H.S.E. Heightadjustable Seats Extra Sad )
My Aviation website - UKHelicopterPilot.com Cool

Post #111082 24th Aug 2011 9:56 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

If your mobile is on LR's approved list then it should work fine - If it's not, then I was told by my dealer that it could connect OK but may not download the address book/call reception clarity and or speech clarity could be poor or a combination of all these + others. I've an old Nokia 6210 Nav and it's not on the list - no phone book download but connects ok outgoing speech is fine but incoming can be a bit Norman Collier unless the mobile is sitting on the top of the dash.
Check the LR website to see if your phone is on the list - while typing this seem to think that there was a software upgrade for phone connections around 2008 as our car had to have it - good luck Thumbs Up
Our other car has £100 worth of Parrot, connects easy, full phone book, software upgrades the callers sound like they are sat next to you.

Post #111084 24th Aug 2011 10:30 pm
pressureman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Indus Silver

At the last service of my 07 SE, the invoice listed a 'comms' software upgrade and all sorts of phones started to be recognised by the car. My old and trusted 6310i's quite happily transfer the phonebook but a 'newer' 6120c does not. However, I tried sending the LR a business card from the 6120 and it then stored it in the pnone book. It's a bit of a pain to send each contact individually but it appears to work. Otherwise, I have not had any problems with sound quality.

Post #111088 24th Aug 2011 11:15 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black
Re: Mobile Phone Bluetooth “dalek” effect/fault

gusmagoo wrote:
I was happy when my new Samsung Galaxy S2 mobile easily paired with my new (to me) 57 plate HSE, but the quality of calls is troublesome.
When I receive calls, it appears to be fairly clear and of acceptable quality for a car based system, but when I ring someone from the car, via the system, the sound is distorted so much it is difficult to hear what people are saying.
They just sound like a darlek. It seems to resonate to the sound of the engine like a badly tuned radio...
Has anyone else found this? Do you think it’s the phone? Or the car?
Most frustrating
I will try another phone tomorrow…

I had this for ages & I was going balistic with the dealer & LR etc until one day my phone was put in the cup holder instead of in my pocket = problem solved Yawn

Shouldn't have to do this so the only thing I can assume is the LR bluetooth aireal is either poor or too well hidden. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #111090 24th Aug 2011 11:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gusmagoo

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Thanks for all the suggestions...
The phone book downloaded and all functions seem to work perfectly, as they should, it always pairs without hesitation, I’ve had it in my pocket, in the centre bottle holders and on the dash obscuring the sat nav but to no avail. Strangely it only seems to be on outgoing calls not incoming?
It has also got a full Land rover history so can only assume that it’s had any necessary upgrades.
Finally, yes I’ve had the vin checker up and found that my phone (one of the latest from samsung) is NOT on the list of compatable phones, BUT, it paired well and the phone book is there without glitches. If there is a fault on the system I expect LR will fall back on this so I’ll try a compatible phone first.
As said in my initial thread I’m going to try my old Samsung D900 to see if its a phone thing or a car thing. The D900 is on the list of compatible phones, so it should work flawlessly.
The car’s going in to Hunters Landrover next week to get hooked up for a folding mirror glitch so I’ll quiz them about it if I’ve not got any further. Thanks again for your input. Thumbs Up 57 HSE AUTO with H.I.D's - Grey with Black leather. (H.S.E. Heightadjustable Seats Extra Sad )
My Aviation website - UKHelicopterPilot.com Cool

Post #111097 25th Aug 2011 8:14 am
pressureman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Indus Silver

Hi gusmagoo,
My experience is that using the VIN checker for phone compatibility only gives you the phones on the list at the time of vehicle manufacture and doesn't take account af any subsequent software updates.
It would be nice if the phones stayed connected until the fob is removed (much like the radio), rather than have to leave the engine running (or ignition on) during a call. Not that I ever use the phone on the move!

Post #111101 25th Aug 2011 9:41 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1