Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > How difficult is it to buy a house in the UK?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
razmabaz

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black
How difficult is it to buy a house in the UK?

I originally put something about this down in another thread to help cheer up taztastic under the guise that there is always somebody worse off than you! I didn't want to hijack his thread so - here goes!

We live in a rented house and eventually (even this is convoluted) we decide to buy our own place. The house we want to buy has been without occupants since Novemebr 2010 although it is fully furnished. The owners have fallen on hard times and need the money so you'd think there would be some urgency in selling (not a repossesion but I feel it was getting close). I beleive they live wih in-laws somewhere down south.

I guess with no chain in either direction and a need for money this is about as simple as it gets.

We put an offer in April, bit of usual haggling and the offer is accepted. We already had a mortgage in principle agreed with a building society.

Couple of weeks pass with finding solicitor etc. Formally apply for mortgage, survey in operation. That brought us to our holiday in May. Good, we thought, come back from holiday and things will get rolling. Wrong. £4000 retained pending certain repairs to be undertaken. Electrical report and roof report are necessary (hardly surprising on a property built in 1896) but that wasn't causing the retention... that was "sub-floor ventilation needs improving". Ho-hum. Builder now involved who furnishes a report stating the only way the ventilation could be improved was the addition of an extra air brick - he issued an estimate - £30 Shocked Actually, after this was submitted the retention was removed (FAIL 1 surveyor)

I think I'll skip loads more for the sake of brevity!

Come to the beginning of August now and we receive an email on a Saturday evening (yes - I know) informing us the vendor would like to exchange contracts this Friday (12.8 ) with a completion date of 19th August. Can we do this ... yes we can but it's a bit tight. Exchange was right down to the wire last week - the vendor couldn't be found Shocked 16:50 no response from him... but 17:10 exchange took place. Excellent - things are finally happening.

Come to yesterday (19.8 ). I enquire of my solicitor as to what was happening. She had just contacted the building society and the money was released at 11:00 and should be in account within the hour. Good - nearly ours then! Cool

THIS NEXT BIT IS THE MOST UNBELEIVABLE PART

We exercised extreme patience (I guess you are too if you've got this far) and didn't bother a soul until 15:30... then patience wore thin so I phoned the solicitor.... READY FOR THIS.

"Your money has been transferred to the wrong account. We can't find it nor can the banks involved - I'm afraid we will not be able to complete today - maybe Monday or Tuesday".... speechless. Shocked

There is much more to this - trust me when I say it has been a saga.

I wish I'd have asked where shall we live now? We still have 4 weeks rent left on this place so I felt confident for a roof over our heads hence I never raised the question.

Every step of the way through this sorry mess we have been compliant and (I think) very pleasant people but we're now at our wits end. It would seem "The Professionals" are just bumbling, incompetent idiots. No wonder the UK is going to the dogs. Just need something to give us a bit of confidence in human nature again. Freelander 1 TD4 HSE - gone, 2 weeks after the Cat.Converter!
Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto MY08 - Santorini black

Post #110679 20th Aug 2011 12:03 pm
taztastic

England 

Good Luck Razmabaz, you will soon be in, feet up with a glass of wine and a big grin Thumbs Up

Set the Ombudsman on them, they have been negligent with your money, wasn't it their sorry profession that invented the phrase " were there's blame, there's a claim"?

Post #110683 20th Aug 2011 12:26 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

I absolutely despair of each and every, yes EVERY, meeting, phone call, letter, appointment or just general dealing with every solicitor, estate agent etc I have ever had.
The last time we moved it ended with me having to go into the estate agents office, catching him there, and virtually threaten him with violence to get a straight answer. A simple '2 week thing' (his words) had dragged out over 4 years and left me tearing my already thinning hair out.

it was only when in his office he admitted his staff had been simply placing our problem 'back to the bottom of the pile very time it got to the top because it was such a trivial matter, no-one could be bothered to do it!"

How do you answer that??!? Shocked

Good luck with your problem. I certainly hope to never move again!

Post #110686 20th Aug 2011 1:15 pm
razmabaz

If you want a more complete story, try my blog ...

Razmabaz's Blog

Maybe I should've posted it in installments but I was on a roll! Warning - it's a 12 minute read and you could lose the will to live Rolling Eyes Freelander 1 TD4 HSE - gone, 2 weeks after the Cat.Converter!

Post #110691 20th Aug 2011 4:13 pm
razmabaz

snappa wrote:
I absolutely despair of each and every, yes EVERY, meeting, phone call, letter, appointment or just general dealing with every solicitor, estate agent etc I have ever had.
The last time we moved it ended with me having to go into the estate agents office, catching him there, and virtually threaten him with violence to get a straight answer. A simple '2 week thing' (his words) had dragged out over 4 years and left me tearing my already thinning hair out.

it was only when in his office he admitted his staff had been simply placing our problem 'back to the bottom of the pile very time it got to the top because it was such a trivial matter, no-one could be bothered to do it!"

How do you answer that??!? Shocked

Good luck with your problem. I certainly hope to never move again!

There just isn't an answer - smacks of arrogance to me! Freelander 1 TD4 HSE - gone, 2 weeks after the Cat.Converter!

Post #110692 20th Aug 2011 4:13 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

we don't have these problems in Scotland, our legal/conveyencing system is much more efficient.

just like our education system Very Happy

Iain

Post #110778 22nd Aug 2011 8:34 am
razmabaz

iain cooper wrote:
we don't have these problems in Scotland, our legal/conveyencing system is much more efficient.

Iain

You won't get an argument from me! As for education? Dunno....

.... thistles that tall and men wearing skirts doesn't seem too clever to me! Shocked Freelander 1 TD4 HSE - gone, 2 weeks after the Cat.Converter!

Post #110779 22nd Aug 2011 8:38 am
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Quote:

I am in Scotland and it was a scottish firm with scottish solicitors that gave me all my problems!

Post #110782 22nd Aug 2011 9:04 am
razmabaz

snappa wrote:
Quote:

I am in Scotland and it was a scottish firm with scottish solicitors that gave me all my problems!

I wasn't going to say a word Whistle Freelander 1 TD4 HSE - gone, 2 weeks after the Cat.Converter!

Post #110786 22nd Aug 2011 9:20 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Solicitors ha - Charge anything from £150 -£300/hour and never give advice but options for you to choose from. Evil or Very Mad MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #110788 22nd Aug 2011 9:22 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

snappa wrote:
Quote:

We've never had any problems, but maybe like most things in life there is the bad apple !!

Iain

Post #110789 22nd Aug 2011 9:22 am
razmabaz

tenet wrote:
Solicitors ha - Charge anything from £150 -£300/hour and never give advice but options for you to choose from. Evil or Very Mad

Yep - I've noticed that. Maybe someone could come up with a menu based call-system just like phoning BT or npower! Freelander 1 TD4 HSE - gone, 2 weeks after the Cat.Converter!

Post #110790 22nd Aug 2011 9:30 am
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

tenet wrote:
Solicitors ha - Charge anything from £150 -£300/hour and never give advice but options for you to choose from. Evil or Very Mad

Isn't that why the say "to instruct a solictor" as they represent YOU. Confused 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #110825 22nd Aug 2011 4:28 pm
Swingwing

[quote="iain cooper"]we don't have these problems in Scotland, our legal/conveyencing system is much more efficient.

Do you mean the one we pay for?

Post #110843 22nd Aug 2011 5:29 pm
razmabaz

Just an update on our "situation"...

Money has been found - although the Partnership had that covered. Too bliimmin' right!

Now the vendor had failed to keep his side of the contract which was the property will be cleared of all rubbish (there was LOADS). So, our solicitor has gone overboard to make good the damage they caused... they've managed to secure the completion today (we have keys - YAY) but have retained £1000 until the property is fully cleared. (I have to add the mess was confined to the garden and garage so the house is clear and ok).

Thanks for the comments and support.

The garage at 6:30 this morning - there was a skip and other stuff outside.

Freelander 1 TD4 HSE - gone, 2 weeks after the Cat.Converter!

Post #110873 22nd Aug 2011 8:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>