Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Anyone got virgin media broadband?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Anyone got virgin media broadband?

I have been on the 10mb service since 2009 but last month I upgraded to 30mb. No question about superiority with fibre optic broadband as it doesn't lose speed if you live far from telephone exchanges.

The problem was my old laptop had wireless G card so I could only get about 20mb. Now I have the superb MacBook Pro with wireless N card, I can get full speed.

The issue I am having however is drops in speed at random times, mostly in the evening and sometimes resetting the router doesn't solve it. Virgin supplied me with one of their 'superhubs' and from doing some digging on google they are prone to problems. Does anyone know if the routers they supply are basically rubbish?

I see PC world sell cable routers from Belkin at £29.99, perhaps that would be better. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #110212 14th Aug 2011 2:52 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Not sure if the belkin will speed it up as it might be due to other people usage

I'm having a problem with BT Infinity, like you slower due to wireless but I was on a 38mbps download if I used Ethernet, whilst away the dsl router (you get 2 routers with BT) stopped working, replaced it and reset my line, though now they have set me on a 15.9mbps line Evil or Very Mad and calling BT up you get "Johnathon" in Mumbai who just don't understand Exclamation Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #110214 14th Aug 2011 3:18 pm
Swingwing

npinks wrote:
Not sure if the belkin will speed it up as it might be due to other people usage

I'm having a problem with BT Infinity, like you slower due to wireless but I was on a 38mbps download if I used Ethernet, whilst away the dsl router (you get 2 routers with BT) stopped working, replaced it and reset my line, though now they have set me on a 15.9mbps line Evil or Very Mad and calling BT up you get "Johnathon" in Mumbai who just don't understand Exclamation

Had the same problem with BT and "Jonathan" in Mumbai told me that line speed was what I was paying for not the speed I was getting on download or up load! I put him straight and demanded an enginner call. When he came he saw the problem immediately and sorted it out in a few hours.

Post #110235 14th Aug 2011 8:00 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I have the second engineer out on Tuesday so fingers crossed, I have explained to Johny that I should be getting upto 40mbps or atleast the 38 I was set at previously and he agreed

Guess I'll just have to wait till tuesday Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #110236 14th Aug 2011 8:27 pm
Swingwing

When he comes ask about compensation they gave me a free month.

Post #110238 14th Aug 2011 8:35 pm
lmorris4975

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

I have heard/read ( cart remember where) that at certain times during the day Virgin are restricting the speed at there end, to save them money. I will try to find what i read and post it for you Thumbs Up

Post #110244 14th Aug 2011 9:56 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

lmorris4975 wrote:
I have heard/read ( cart remember where) that at certain times during the day Virgin are restricting the speed at there end, to save them money. I will try to find what i read and post it for you Thumbs Up

Cheers Lee Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #110246 14th Aug 2011 10:07 pm
lmorris4975

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

found this for you Doctor, i think it takes the P**S but have a read and see what you think. i have read more on this, but i cant find it at the moment but i will keep looking Thumbs Up

http://www.virgin.net/allyours/faqs/trafficManagementFAQ.html

Post #110257 15th Aug 2011 1:42 am
milom

Germany 

I used VM as my last provider, the only time I have deviated from BT, and it was a total mistake. I will never stray from BT again. They might not be perfect, but in my experience, they let you down rarely! Well that is my experience any way. Better than the occational internet from VM anyway "I'm on the road to nowhere"

Post #110271 15th Aug 2011 11:38 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i went back to BT after various isp some years ago, at least they are providing the lines and can detect problems quicker (well sometimes they can Laughing 0 Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #110275 15th Aug 2011 1:29 pm
greengiant

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

Go in to he settings on your Super hub and change it to channel 7 or 11, these channels are further away than other similar devices so they don't get confused. 09 FL2 HSE auto Lago Grey
71 Triumph Stag 3L
68 NGTCV8 3.5L

Post #110276 15th Aug 2011 1:53 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1