« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > terain response failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue
terain response failure

Hi all, Ive just started my car up and was greeted with a warning message stating that the terain system is faulty and not available. There is a yellow warning symble permantly lit and another yellow symble which is flashing all the time the engine is running.
If you turn the terain controll knob theres a message comes up in the message area stating special fuctions are turned off and the light that tells you which mode you are in does not light up. Also cruise controll is not working along with hill decent and DSC.
Has anyone had these problems ? and does anyone know what it cost to put right ? Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated, Im dreading taking it to the stealers were I will probably need a second morgage. Shocked

Post #107901 16th Jul 2011 6:36 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Perhaps the 'Hard Reset' is needed.

Disconnect the battery for 5-10 minutes.

I'm sure other idreas / answers will arrive ... shortly..... 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #107903 16th Jul 2011 7:12 pm
lad

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

I had something similar on my D3, turned out to be the battery, on it's way out. Only showed up when I was starting it first thing in the morning, once I'd run it for a while and tried it again the warning lights didn't show! Do the lights show every time you start the landy? Have you checked the battery?

Post #107936 17th Jul 2011 10:38 am
superspark

Ive checked the battery and connections all ok, tried disconnecting it for 10 minutes and reconnecting but the faultl is still there.
Looks like it could be an expensive trip to the stealers. I would of thought that there would be some fault codes stored on the ecu but a quick check with the meter and theres noting stored or pending. Im guessing that it might be a wheel sensor as cruise controlis down as well

Post #107942 17th Jul 2011 12:10 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Wheel sensor failure gives Terrain response and ABS faults, can't remember if it affects the cruise control. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #108024 18th Jul 2011 12:58 pm
superspark

Well hopefully I will know soon as its booked in at the dealers to find and fix the fault. HOPE I DONT NEED A SECOND MORGAGE LOL Whistle

Post #108047 18th Jul 2011 5:05 pm
xxtrail

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Hi superspark,

Just had the same type of failure exiting a traffic island where the road camber reversed itself. As she went over the camber-change an alarm sounded and a warning message came up stating that the Terrain Response System was faulty and not available and HDC also not available.

A yellow warning symbol was permanently lit (in the fuel/temp gauge window) and there was another flashing yellow symbol (in the rev counter window).

The light on the TRS, which confirms the mode you are in, had gone out. If you try to rotate the TRS knob, you get the message "Special Programs Not Available".

Checked handbook and then phoned my dealer. We agreed that it might be a sensor glitch and left it overnight (doublelocked) to see if it would clear down the fault. IT DIDN'T

Took it in yesterday and they ran diagnostics several times but got no response. They queried with LR and it turns out that the ABS Controller (I might have got the name wrong - as I was in shock at the time it was explained) needed to be replaced.

The car is 5 months out of warranty and I was told £791 + Vat for new unit. After I picked myself up from the floor, I expressed my disgust at this, but was told that all control modules are very expensive on LRs.

I asked the dealer to see if LR would absorb some of the cost, as the car has never been offroad and has only done 19000 miles. The dealer phoned me back later to say that LR would pay 50% of repair. Still a big hit, but not as bad as original shock.

The car is currently being repaired and should hopefully be ready tonight.

Should I have taken out the seemingly very expensive extended warranty? Should I now take it (or similar) out?

Was GS TD4 Auto, Privacy, Santorini with Tundra & Alpaca, Cold Climate Pack. Traded for Discovery Sport HSE Auto.

Post #111214 26th Aug 2011 1:00 pm
xxtrail

My wallet is now lighter to the tune of £470.16, but I have my beloved car back. Was GS TD4 Auto, Privacy, Santorini with Tundra & Alpaca, Cold Climate Pack. Traded for Discovery Sport HSE Auto.

Post #111235 26th Aug 2011 6:01 pm
xxtrail

said post failure, but will not let me delete, only edit. Was GS TD4 Auto, Privacy, Santorini with Tundra & Alpaca, Cold Climate Pack. Traded for Discovery Sport HSE Auto.

Post #111236 26th Aug 2011 6:02 pm
superspark

Hi xxtrail, yes, what has happened is that there is a presure switch which is located inside the ABS modulator. The values should change when the brake pedal is pressed if there is no change in values its Censored . It seems that there is a problem with this pressure switch which is not replaceable therefore the whole unit has to be replaced and the brakes rebled.
Landrover would only pay 25% of the cost for me which ment I paid £750. I had to pick myself up of the floor too.
When you see the lights in the dash that you and I had, the cpu closes the special programs down, this meens you lose all terain responce, cruise controll, hill decent controll, DSC, etc.
I personaly think its a very poor design fault which we shoundnt of had to pay for. But thats my opion. If your interested in seeing this EXPENSIVE peace of hardware then this is what you need to do. By the way, its very easy.
1, Open engine bonnet
2, As you look in under you will see a rubber strip close to the windscreen that runs from left to right of the engine bay between the bonnet hinges.
3, Pull this strip off as it just pushes back on.
4, Working from side to side you will see plastic screws, undo them and lift the plastic casing on the passengers side " right hand dive models"
5, On the passenger side under the plastic casing you will see the ABS modulator, it will be the unit with all the brake pipes running in to it and on the back you will see the wiring loom. There thats were the £750 bloody unit is.
Im just wondering how many more people will suffer this huge bill. Censored Thumbs Up

Post #111238 26th Aug 2011 7:17 pm
Whittler

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

OUCH Big Cry

Our last car, a Mercedes A-Class A190 had a problem that nobody seemed able to fix. Tried many expensive parts and repairs. In the end I was told that the ESP/BAS ABS Module needed replacing....

£1649 for the parts + 4 hours Mercedes labour @ £137 + VAT... Censored

We didn't get it fixed as the car was worth less than £1K, so we bought the Freelander 2 because the parts and servicing are so much cheaper Rolling with laughter

Post #111244 26th Aug 2011 7:44 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Having had a few Land rovers, this sort of thing is the reason I bought the extra warranty. It's also why I tend to pay the extra and buy secondhand from a dealer. Too many seriously expensive things to go wrong nowadays.
But of course, if you do buy the warranty, you shouldn't have any problems - law of sod.
One thing is clear from this - if you're out of warranty ask for a contribution from LR. Even 25% is better than nowt.

Post #111256 26th Aug 2011 9:28 pm
superspark

Agreed but i still i think its unfair. Manafacturers build the cars but get them out on the road far to soon and its the customer that always pays the design faults.
Then when most of the parts have be upgraded they go and make newer model and the whole dam cycle begins again and so on and on and on, bloody frustrating. Dont premium car makers have enough faith in their products to exstend ther warranties for longer as others of a lesser premium brand? ???????

Post #111261 26th Aug 2011 10:42 pm
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Now that I know where to find it in the car, I would feel compelled to check out if any scrap car yards have any Freelanders in stock first.

Post #111264 26th Aug 2011 11:51 pm
big-al-cove

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Fuji White

hi

just had this this morning Big Cry warranty will cover it BUT its only done 10500 miles

ABS light on, anti skid light on, terrain response failure,

took it straight to Landrover Aberdeen now Peter Vardy, on entering the car park i was guided to a parking space then lead to the receptionist, that's something that they never did before Thumbs Up 1995 P38 now dead
2012 FL2 GS Fuji White
winter pack
arm rest pack

Post #164784 18th Dec 2012 2:53 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>