Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Suspension problem ....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
lawm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Our Freelander 2 is six month old with 5,000 on the clock. This problem developed/ became noticeable about a month in since then it has been back to the dealers approximately ten times with the same problem (the time has elapsed because we where asked to take it away and see if the problem was still there by which time it was another three weeks before we could get another booking). The Vehicle as a whole is very good so I don’t really want to have to get rid of it. The symptoms are identical to those experienced by others on this forum; Very low speeds (5-10 mph) over speed bumps, dropped curbs and potholes there is a low down knocking noise (drivers side RHD) which is both heard and also felt through the steering wheel. We’ve found the knock is more pronounced if the left wheel has already travelled over the bump i.e the Vehicle approaches the bump at a slight angle. Also if there are two speed bumps within 100 meters the second bump does not produce such a noticeable knocking noise which indicates to me that what ever it is is now in its new location and will not return till the Vehicle has settled (travelled sum distance). The knock is also noticeable through the break pedal if the break is being applied as the Vehicle goes over a bump.

To date the dealer has tighten the nuts (several times) on the anti role bar, replaced the bushes on the bar and replaced the drop link which is bolted to back of the suspension strut. Every time we take it back they think we are making it up, until they take it for a test drive themselves. Their Usual approach is check for LR bulletins, lift the vehicle to check for loose links and then tell us to take it back and see if the problem persists. LRs approach is to contact the dealer to find out why they haven’t fixed the problem. We have driven several demonstrators and never experienced the problem, however the loan Vehicle with 3,000 mile on the clock all have the same problem but not as pronounced. Furthermore the loan Vehicles also have other problems that we have had on our vehicle and subsequently had replaced; creaking boot handle (replaced), creaking back struts ( modified collars fitted –they are now made of harder material) Right front strut creaked caused by braking and turning on sharp corners (replaced), the left strut is now doing the same thing.

I must confess I don’t really know what goes in to making a good suspension setup but after having a good look underneath myself I would say its too complicated and its made of cheap hollowed out components which sooner or latter are going to cause problems –in all reality the Freelander 2 deserved air suspension due to its size and top heavy shape. As far as I am concerned the suspension components should have been tougher and stronger which I suppose ultimately would have affected the Freelander 2’s cost and economy.

I am gradually thinking a Defender or a Disco 3 would have been a more durable option.

Post #15157 4th Mar 2008 5:54 pm
d90

Estonia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Nazca Sand

Hello, somebody from LR !!!
could you tell Estonian dealer ( Inchcape Motors Estonia OÜ) how to solve this problem, pleeeease Bow down Bow down Bow down Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad.
After all. D90 TD5, D130 TD5, LR2.

Post #15172 4th Mar 2008 6:53 pm
J T

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Santorini Black

lawm wrote:
in all reality the Freelander 2 deserved air suspension due to its size and top heavy shape.

That would have been nice, but , the d3 has had it's own problems with faulty compressors and such like. And of course the dreaded electronic park brake..thank god they didn't put that on the freelander.

Other than that the D3 is brilliant.

Post #15173 4th Mar 2008 6:54 pm
n4ewg

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

And I thought it was only me!

I have had a similar problem coming from the near side rear area almost since new. 5 times to the dealer so far, and no better.

Mine sounds like a distinct click, almost like someone snapping their finders and comes from over my left shoulder in the rear.

The dealer has promised to sort it next week or replace the car. Watch this space I guess!

Post #15235 6th Mar 2008 1:50 pm
lawm

If is a knock underneath; maybe a loose anti rollbar. If its a knock or tap in the boot area ( abit like a loose cable behind a panel then is Probably movement in the strut; does it happern on bends and corners? There is a fix for the struts; harder strut collars so they can't move - make sure both collars are replaced!

Post #15244 6th Mar 2008 4:06 pm
n4ewg

I have had the strut collars replaced twice now, but the problem continues. Thanks for your help though. It happens as you say mostly on bends or corners and sometimes on pot-holes. It occurs almost like something moves though, as it may happen turning left, but won't happen turning left again, until it has done it in some other way.

It drives me crazy!

Post #15253 6th Mar 2008 4:53 pm
markconnor33

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Mine has had this problem with loose roll bar nuts too!.

Had my nuts tightened up twice (boy that hurt Rolling with laughter ) by landrover dealer, but looks like they have started to come loose again (mileage just 8000m total).

Will get tightened when they service the vehicle in a couple of weeks, and make sure they log as a "latent defect" with the vehicle,so I don't have to pay every 3 months for them to be tightened.

On the plus side, I get to drive different LR's everytime the car goes in, and the dealers quite close to work.

So not all bad.

Otherwise, the car is fantastic and no other problems to date.

Mark Thumbs Up Freelander 2
TD4 GS
Shiney fantastic Baltic Blue
Detachable Witter Towbar

Post #15265 6th Mar 2008 7:30 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Not noticed anything wrong with my nuts Whistle no matter how many bumps I go over. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #15267 6th Mar 2008 7:36 pm
n4ewg

It would be great if it turned out to be so simple.

I have been is negotiation with the dealer yesterday about the ongoing problem, and as I mentioned earlier in the thread, if they don't cure it this time, they will swap it under the Landrover Approved Exchange Policy....whatever that really means....anybody know?

The car does everything I want it to do, and one thing I don't Big Cry

Lets hope they can sort it.

Post #15297 6th Mar 2008 11:08 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

basically the exchange program means (if they allow it)

They purchase the car back less the mileage (which is calculated at a set rate, i believe), you then pay the difference on a new car, upgrading it to the spec you wished to get in the first place, but you have to opt for something less orange as they don't do Tambora flame anymore.

Its something like that anyway, I hope you have documented all telephone calls, letters, responses to help your case Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #15302 6th Mar 2008 11:32 pm
n4ewg

Thanks nPinks. I have the whole thing well documented, in fact, clearly much better than they do. All I want is the damn thing fixing...not too much to ask really....or is it?

Hopefully they will take it in next week, find out the rear shocker is creamed or something and replace it, then I will be all smiles again. Question

Post #15339 7th Mar 2008 9:49 pm
Grumpy

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Izmir Blue

Mine does this too but it seems more from the rear - dealer relaced coil spring seat but no change. Clonk is more related to weight transfer than suspension movement - spoils otherwise great car - any suggestions would be appreciated. Grumpy

Post #15772 14th Mar 2008 10:59 am
d90

Estonia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Nazca Sand

After 2,5 month of war I got mine sorted today.
Dealer replaced all 4 shocks, springs, strut collars and now suspension working like it should. Thumbs Up

At last no more knocking .

Milestone D90 TD5, D130 TD5, LR2.

Post #16165 19th Mar 2008 7:25 pm
n4ewg

Well, mine is back in the dealers for the 7th time, having had all the shockers replaced, strut collars etc. and still showing the fault. They have previously promised to exchange the car, but that seems to be more difficult than expected!

However, at the moment, they are saying that there is a 'known' manufacturing fault with the rear cill (not sure exactly where). It is apparently 'over-engineered' and is catching on something causing a clicking sound or tinny rattle. Mine sounds like a click, so lets hope they find it!

Worse still though, having had a number of FL2's on loan from them and they have all been fine, except the current one which has exactly the same fault as mine!

Post #17077 3rd Apr 2008 4:56 pm
lawm

Will be going in for 12th time at the end of April (5 weeks before I could get another booking). I said that if its not fixed this time we want a replacement, - totally ridiculous, the vehicle is now almost 10 month old, and we have still got knocking noise and feedback through the steering wheel and foot pedals (first appeared 3 weeks into ownership) - very disconcerting when breaking, and to be honest you would expect a better hid from a 15 year old Defender - vehicle is becoming un driveable. LR and dealer are doing there usual table tennis time wasting exercises; Dealer saying that they've done every thing that’s been asked of them by the bulletins and LR are saying that the dealer has not carried out enough tests.

Going to get another dealer to have a look in case our local dealer is just being reluctant to delve deeper; if I get the same response then I will know that LR are just stalling on the issue and more importantly its being ignored because there haven’t been enough complaints.

History; Anti Roll bar has been tighten several times, all anti roll bar bushes have been replaced, both drop links have been replaced and so has the front right hand strut (which is now creaking again!). Next port of call is steering assembly.

Post #17470 9th Apr 2008 1:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>