« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Trailer board wiring
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Barton Freelander

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey
Trailer board wiring

Looking to wire a trailer board lead so i can use my new cycle carrier anyone have the wire colours i need so i dont have to trace them back to the rear lens also where is the best place to pick the wiring loom.

Ian Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Also Audi TT Roadster.Smile

Post #71083 25th Jun 2010 11:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Simon CSK

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

Barton
There should be a multi plug under the trim prewired for the towing electricts which you can splice into or preferably obtain the landrover wiring loom. Simon

2007 Freelander 2 Rimini Red HSE Auto
(Daily Driver)
1991 Range Rover CSK No. 98
(Toy)

Post #71092 25th Jun 2010 9:11 pm
Barton Freelander

Thanks for that but where do i look for it,is it in the tyre well or under the side trims.??? i have bought a prewired lead by the way just need to match up the colours with landrover colours. Rolling Eyes Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Post #71093 25th Jun 2010 9:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Simon CSK

Barton
Sorry I cannot tell you where the multiplug is as I bought my car with the tow bar fitted I just know from expereince that all Landrovers are built with the towing electrics installed in the main wiring loom somewhere,

Having patched into mine for power for the boot area I would suspect that they are in the boot on the left hand side (Near side in th UK) behind the trim panels. Simon

(Daily Driver)
(Toy)

Post #71121 27th Jun 2010 9:29 am
Barton Freelander

Manage to to wire the trailer board up but i have one problem that is the brake lights when i press the footpedel it lights up once and then the main car brake lights fail to work its not blowing the fuse because when i start the engine again they work for the first press on pedel and not again. Confused any one have ideas.??? Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Post #71128 27th Jun 2010 12:48 pm
Simon CSK

Does it work normally when the trailer board is unplugged? Simon

(Daily Driver)
(Toy)

Post #71133 27th Jun 2010 2:21 pm
tonyjones1968

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Narvik Black

You may need a 7way bypass relay to power the socket,O>E uses can network to run the trailor module which then powers the 12n/12s/13 euro sockets. Try TOWSURE for dedicated kits or my fav TATBAY.
oe kit is £200 plus configuration on IDS at dealer,however its easy to fit and TENFORCASH can program it in on his AUTOLOGIC.

Tone Thumbs Up

Post #71135 27th Jun 2010 2:31 pm
Barton Freelander

Yes works normal when trailer board is unplug but as soon as you plug in it works for one press then nothing till i restart engine.so at the moment i have disconnected the brake wire from trailer board hoping everyone can see my car brake lights though the bikes. Confused high level brake light no problem as bike are lower down. Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Post #71136 27th Jun 2010 2:42 pm
donny

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Izmir Blue

I assume you have just tapped into the loom using scotchlok or similar. Used to be ok on older cars but now they use canbus they are much more sensitive to add-ons. The FL2s main brake lights don't have a proper fuse as you may expect - they have an electronic 'fuse' in the ECU. Your trailer board must be tripping it (extra load of board bulbs? 0r other problem?). The electronic 'fuse' resets when ignition goes off/on (assuming the problem has gone away) - leading to the apparently puzzling behaviour you note.

The high level brake light is on a more traditional arrangement (fuse box inside car - no. 28 ). I would pick up the trailer socket brake light feed up by tapping into the high level light circuit - but I am no expert so feel free to ignore the advice. Very Happy

Post #71138 27th Jun 2010 3:15 pm
Barton Freelander

Thanks for that info looks like i need to find the high level brake light feed then or if i wire in a 7way bypass relay will that do the trick.?as to the other wiring yes i did us scotch connecters on the wiring loom to rear lens. Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Post #71139 27th Jun 2010 3:23 pm
donny

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Izmir Blue

Personally I would drop in a temporary feed from the high level brake light to the trailer socket to see if it resolves the problem before I went to a relay arrangement. Once you have 'tripped' out the main brake lights it should be easy to find the cable feeding the high level light as it will be only one going live when you press the brake pedal. Please let me know how you resolve it as I have just bought a s/hand tow bar and will be wiring my electrics next month, ta

Post #71142 27th Jun 2010 3:56 pm
Barton Freelander

donny wrote:
Personally I would drop in a temporary feed from the high level brake light to the trailer socket to see if it resolves the problem before I went to a relay arrangement. Once you have 'tripped' out the main brake lights it should be easy to find the cable feeding the high level light as it will be only one going live when you press the brake pedal. Please let me know how you resolve it as I have just bought a s/hand tow bar and will be wiring my electrics next month, ta

Thanks for your help m8 only problem is it hard to find the brake wire when doing it on your own as somebody needs to keep the pedel down.my be if i take the high level cover off i might be able to see the wire colour a trace then in boot well. Confused Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Post #71143 27th Jun 2010 4:32 pm
Barton Freelander

Found this thread donny http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic462.html?...light+wire looks like the 7way bypass relay is needed.trip down halfords tomorrow now. Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Post #71152 27th Jun 2010 7:16 pm
Barton Freelander

Tried tapping on the wire at the high brake light but that also tripped the ecu so have now order the bypass relay to try. Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Post #71178 28th Jun 2010 2:04 pm
BFGLR2Man

Germany 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Alaska White

The Fl is multiplex CAN Bus wired so you can't just tap into the existing wiring. You must either use a dedicated wiring kit which plugs into the pre wired receiver beneath the black trim panel on the boot floor behind the LH rear wheel, or use a bypass relay.

Otherwise the signal is an electronic pulse from the control unit to operate the accessory, and not a constant voltage as in more conventionally wired cars.

Trust this helps Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Freelander 2.2e HSE , Privacy, Fully debadged, 19" Chrome SHadow alloys

Post #71225 29th Jun 2010 1:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>