« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fuel Filter Change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

Steve D wrote:
I just fill the filter with fuel using a length of pipe and a small funnel, fit it on and start up. Job done.

Why don’t you first fit the new filter in place on the car before filling with diesel is there a reason for this ? Also can any of the connections on the filter be used to fill the new filter ? I am looking for advice as I am going to change mine soon.

Last edited by Jack frost on 4th Nov 2018 8:02 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #359956 4th Nov 2018 4:56 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Steve D wrote:
I just fill the filter with fuel using a length of pipe and a small funnel, fit it on and start up. Job done.

Are you not taking a unnecessary risk by filling the system from the wrong side of the filter element - any muck that gets inside via that old funnel will go straight to your high pressure pump and injectors. Jules

Post #359960 4th Nov 2018 6:32 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Well spotted. That was the old filter and that was just a mock-up that I took to show how it could be done. The funnel was washed with brake cleaner before filling the new one. I also bunged up the pipes on the car to prevent fuel running back to the tank. I have a selection of bungs and caps - you get a set of plastic bungs included with the filter when you buy certain pattern filters but not, strangely enough, when you buy an OE one. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #359972 4th Nov 2018 9:07 pm
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

I would hope that the filter can be filled when fitted in situ, also maybe fill it through the fuel entrance point, opposite to the one being used to fill above, which I have marked with two yellow dots

Post #359993 5th Nov 2018 10:00 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Yep, that's the port the FL2 manual says to use and the one I use in situ.

I'm still no further on trying to find what the blue electrical connector on the bottom of the fuel filter on later models is for. Jules

Post #359998 5th Nov 2018 10:37 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Just changed mine and basically filled it like Steve D shows once roughly fitted.

Fired up OK and coughed on the second start. Put that wire back to nothing as its fitted but gave up with the securing plug for the alternator wire to the heat shield/ accident shield. Far too faffy and its not doing much so I will take my chance on that one. Not sure how I managed it before but maybe I was more focused. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #360008 5th Nov 2018 1:23 pm
Arctic

Having posted earlier about the fuel pump I decided to search my shed as I recollect purchasing a fuel filter and the associated pump early this year spring time to change the fuel filter and never got round to it, a quick search and yes I found said fuel filter and pump, therefore over the next week or so I will tackle the job I should have done spring time, I will take a few photo's and post them up.

I presume the connections under the fuel filter were going to be used or are used on certain models ?

Post #360016 5th Nov 2018 6:54 pm
alex_pescaru

Don't know why LR and users try to push - with the help of the hand pump - the fuel from the tank through the entrance of the filter up until the hand pump hardens...
Indeed, the filter will be filled, but in the same time, as the pump hardens - which is the sole sign that the filter is full - there is a big pressure built up on the intake, which, when the hand pump is disconnected, will gush in all directions and make a mess.

I've always put the filter in place and connect the 1, 2 and 3 connections (in the picture below). In the outlet port (4), I connect the hand pump, who's output I put into a small jar.
Then I use the hand pump to "suck" fuel from the tank through the filter as the car's pump does, until the filter is full and the fuel is coming out of the hand pump, into the jar.
This is the natural way to do, exactly as the car's pump does.
At the end, the hand pump disconnection (from 4th port) is without any spill and the sole thing to do is to connect the last hose (the one with the fuel temp sensor) to the 4th filter connector. Clean, easy and quick and the car starts always, without any problems or air bubbles in the pipes.

Post #360026 5th Nov 2018 8:48 pm
Steveja

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Barolo Black

Hi Guys I'm the new owner of a FL2 65K miles. I replaced the fuel filter today and there is now a constant flow of bubbles in the clear fuel pipe. ( runs and starts OK ) Wish I had noticed what is was like before I started ( only see with engine cover off)
suspect dodgy filter. Fuel gauge reads 1/4 . Have nothing to compare with. thought I ask before getting another filter.

regards Steve

Post #368650 18th Mar 2019 9:14 pm
Yorky Bob

How did you bleed it ? FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #368651 18th Mar 2019 9:27 pm
Steveja

Mitty vac from filter then again though filter to fuel return. (That would be bottom right then top left as you look at it )
Bosch filter F0264022846 LR 001313

Post #368653 18th Mar 2019 11:06 pm
Yorky Bob

They respond well with a pre-fill. Genuine LR filters come in a cheap service kit sold on ebay by Matford LR. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #368657 19th Mar 2019 8:42 am
Steveja

Have now road tested ,and now have just a few micro bubbles drives OK. Not sure the last time I seen a clear fuel pipe.
Any one know why there are 4 connections to the filter ? Is the return used to heat the filter ?

Post #368733 20th Mar 2019 11:11 pm
Arctic

alex_pescaru wrote:
Don't know why LR and users try to push - with the help of the hand pump - the fuel from the tank through the entrance of the filter up until the hand pump hardens...
Indeed, the filter will be filled, but in the same time, as the pump hardens - which is the sole sign that the filter is full - there is a big pressure built up on the intake, which, when the hand pump is disconnected, will gush in all directions and make a mess.

I've always put the filter in place and connect the 1, 2 and 3 connections (in the picture below). In the outlet port (4), I connect the hand pump, who's output I put into a small jar.
Then I use the hand pump to "suck" fuel from the tank through the filter as the car's pump does, until the filter is full and the fuel is coming out of the hand pump, into the jar.
This is the natural way to do, exactly as the car's pump does.
At the end, the hand pump disconnection (from 4th port) is without any spill and the sole thing to do is to connect the last hose (the one with the fuel temp sensor) to the 4th filter connector. Clean, easy and quick and the car starts always, without any problems or air bubbles in the pipes.

Your way of dealing with the fuel filter sounds to be the best I have heard so far, therefore I will try it on my later spring early summer service, thank you for sharing

Post #368799 22nd Mar 2019 9:22 am
grod

Australia 

Why didn't I think of this????

g

Post #368855 23rd Mar 2019 3:54 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>