« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Disgusted - Automatic Gearbox Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Grimbo

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver
Disgusted - Automatic Gearbox Failure

Not a happy chappy, my car suffered major gearbox component failure yesterday afternoon and is on a recovery vehicle on its way back to the dealer. My wife was driving the car and had only driven about three hundred metres from our house when there was a loud explosion and then the car would not drive. Lubricant was all over the road. Land Rover mechanic couldn't believe what he saw, fragments of metal on the road and in the engine bay. Awaiting dealers mechanical inspection and damage assessment report. The car has only done 4400 miles from new, another fine advert for British engineering. I think I made a big mistake purchasing this vehicle after having owned German and Japanese vehicles without problems for the last twenty years. Will be interesting to see what the dealer has to say because I will not be accepting a repair on this car. Has anyone else heard of this type of failure on the new FL2?? Or am I just the chosen one??
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Post #7243 21st Sep 2007 5:18 am
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Grimbo, are you sure that is was the gearbox which "exploded"?
I have heard from occasional engine failures due to sudden loss of motor oil, and what has sounded like an explosion may have been the mechanical blockage of the engine components due to over heating.
But this has been very rare (1 or 2 reported cases in Germany), and the reason has been to my knowledge an air lump in the motor block.

YF

Post #7246 21st Sep 2007 7:04 am
Grimbo

Hi there YF,
Yes 100% sure it's the gearbox. The LR assistance mechanic told my wife he had never seen anything like it before. The engine was still cold, driven only 300 metres from our house after being stood all night and most of the day.

Post #7247 21st Sep 2007 7:17 am
Goldstone69

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Nasty ! Shocked never heard of that happening before even worse with the wife driving hope the Dealer does the decent thing full money back or a brand new replacement !!

Good Luck

Post #7254 21st Sep 2007 9:31 am
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Re: Disgusted - Automatic Gearbox Failure

Grimbo wrote:
My wife was driving the car

Ah that explains everything!! Whistle

For a gearbox to explode I would say the most likely reason would be something being left loose inside the box during assembly......and no matter who the manufacturer is this would be a very rare occurance.

Post #7257 21st Sep 2007 9:47 am
NightFox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

Believe me, I can well appreciate your frustrations. But it may be a bit hasty to blame British/LR engineering - isn't the auto gearbox of german design and manufacture?

Post #7258 21st Sep 2007 10:21 am
Grimbo

Nightfox,
I don't think it is relevant who manufactures the seperate components of the vehicle. As far as I'm concerned it is marketed and sold as a British product - end of story as far as I'm concerned.
4400 miles on the clock and major component failure is poor engineering.
It will be interesting to find out what has happened and the reasons for it. Let's hope it's a one off.

Post #7261 21st Sep 2007 10:50 am
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Grimbo, sorry to hear those bad news. Sad At least you are lucky at the end of the day since your wife did not get injured. We are talking about a safety issue here, my friend. With 4000 on the clock I'll agree with the rest of the members, full refund or replacement it should be.

Post #7262 21st Sep 2007 11:06 am
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
shocking

Yes, that is a truly shocking mechanical failure; hopefully a one off though! Shocked Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #7263 21st Sep 2007 11:59 am
NightFox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

Grimbo wrote:
Nightfox,
I don't think it is relevant who manufactures the seperate components of the vehicle. As far as I'm concerned it is marketed and sold as a British product - end of story as far as I'm concerned.
4400 miles on the clock and major component failure is poor engineering.
It will be interesting to find out what has happened and the reasons for it. Let's hope it's a one off.

Yes, I understand that you will see LR as being accountable for this as it is one of their vehicles that has just suffered a massive failure on you, but it will be interesting to discover where any actual engineering fault really lies. Keep us updated!

As an aside, about 10 years ago I had an MGF that for about 3 months occassionally threw the manual gearbox out of 5th and into neutral. Eventually I got round to asking the dealer to have a look before the 1-year warranty ran out, and they found that a large piece of the gearbox casing had cracked and fallen off, and the gearbox had been running with no oil for God knows how long.

Anyway, I hope LR and your dealer look after you on this one.

Post #7265 21st Sep 2007 12:26 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

OUCH Grimbo sorry for delayed acknowledgement, As Defkalion says Firstly no injuries so Thumbs Up

It does sound like you have been the chosen one though. I suppose things are never always perfect. Castings can have a fracture or anything. My Potterton Boiler was knackered after 4 years, the block corroded and ruined the whole boiler, asnd Censored my bathroom ceiling. Potterton basically said tuff Censored !! never seen that before... A few choice letters and a deal was struck on a new one. That should have lasted 10 - 15 years. At least with the car it is in warranty and will be dealt with. If it is the gear box I would suspect you will be offered a new box, not a new car. If you have recurring issues, or high volume then thats when you get into the replacement car discussions. So money back or new car you may be pushing your luck this early, unless you have aschedule of other faults that the car has had.

Post #7274 21st Sep 2007 1:43 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Sorry to hear about this Grimbo, there's no getting away from the disappointment you must be feeling. Hope the dealer gets it fixed ASAP and in the mean time provides you with a suitable replacement vehicle. I'm sure LR stand to learn a lot from this so they must look after you in the mean time. I'm sure if we trawled the owners forums for certain German manufacturers we'd find evidence of similar failures (in very small proportions). As the gearbox is not a LR device they are in the hands of their suppliers, I know that doesn't help you today, but if the dealer takes care of you and there is an effective first time repair then I hope you'll be able to continue with reasonable confidence in the car ...

As strange as it may sound I'm almost tempted to think that a catastrophic failure such as the gearbox is easier to live with than some of the apparently smaller niggles; these lesser problems are a function of assembly quality which is an LR in house problem. Where the gearbox problem is more likely to be a supplier problem.

Trying to be the optimist here !!!

Post #7287 21st Sep 2007 8:29 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Sorry to hear about your misfortune on the new car.

Though I wish you success in a new car, I feel you will have it repaired on the warranty.

I know what your feeling my Vectra Sri 2.2 Dti through a major wobbler with the engine just after receiving it (not gear box) and they just kept it a while whilst fixing it and I got on with the courtesy car.

Unfortunately everything is not 100% reliable, as much as you and we all wish it was.

Post #7293 21st Sep 2007 10:55 pm
simon

United Kingdom 

I think the gear box is from ZF who are German I believe.

Not that helps.. and good luck with getting a speedy fix. I would hope LR treat you right here as this would be a rare occurrence indeed.

Post #7298 21st Sep 2007 11:27 pm
Grimbo

Many thanks to all of you for your kind thoughts and replies. My wife informs me she has now got a replacement vehicle to use whilst ours is with the dealer. I will keep you all informed as soon as I have more information.
Many thanks

Post #7299 22nd Sep 2007 3:53 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>