Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Whats the best way to deal with mist?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
SamYPKP

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White
Whats the best way to deal with mist?

Searched through the forums and found a few good threads on dealing with misty windscreens.

Yesterday was the first time I had to use the 'prog' button to get rid of mist and noticed as reported here (and probably in the owners manual) that this turns on the heated rear window and air con. Great at getting rid of the mist within a few seconds, but then after a while had to turn if off to stop the top of my head freezing. A few minutes later, the mist started coming back - so for the short drive had to turn if on and off about 5 times - each time also turning off the rear window heating.

Its a MY11 GS, so no heated front windows - and we normally leave the climate control on auto with the air con off (unless its really hot then we turn it on briefly). Just wondering what the best way to keep a sensible temperature in the car on warmish rainy days without misting up? - I dont think theres any extra moisture in the car (except maybe when the baby wets her nappies).

Post #103809 31st May 2011 12:08 pm
dunroof

Cant say I've ever had the problem. When it does fog up - normally if I have wet clothes or something, I put the front screen heater on, but thats just on high days and holidays. I'd check with the handbook that your settings are at optimum.

Post #103810 31st May 2011 12:16 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

Just put the air con on. Air con does not only cool the car it conditions it (hence the name) taking out excess moisture. No moisture = no mist.

My climate control is always on, including AC.

Post #103811 31st May 2011 12:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

i have mine on auto at around 17-18 on a day like that, also with the re-circulation on which helps. But i also press that magic button heated front screen and its gone!

Post #103814 31st May 2011 12:17 pm
mjn51

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

As said before turn on the Aircon, mist gone.
M.

Post #103817 31st May 2011 12:33 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

never had to use a/c to get rid of misty screens, is it possable you have water collecting in the cabin ie a leak rainy-city
xs

Post #103819 31st May 2011 12:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SamYPKP

Thanks for the advice. I'll try leaving A/C on and hopefully not have to resort to the 'prog' button too much.

Out of interest - one of the reasons we keep turning A/C off (aside from mpg) is that it starts getting too cold, even with the dials turned up to 20ish - should this happen? Of course its very subjective, I keep turning it off because its too cold, and swmbo keeps turning it back.

Post #103820 31st May 2011 12:50 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Have you tried switching the AirCon to 'ecenomy' mode when it reaches the point of being too cold?

I generally do that and it seems to work OK for me Thumbs Up 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #103823 31st May 2011 12:52 pm
SamYPKP

bigalf1961 wrote:
never had to use a/c to get rid of misty screens, is it possable you have water collecting in the cabin ie a leak

Misting was only a problem yesterday with it being raining and us getting into the car from a nice warm environment - hopefully its not a leak. What bits of the cabin should I have a nosey around to check for common leaks?

Post #103825 31st May 2011 12:55 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

footwell side of center console. if you have a leak the front footwell will be swimming At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #103827 31st May 2011 1:04 pm
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I find that the cleaner the windscreen is inside, the less it mists up or at least, if it does, then clears really quick.

Post #103830 31st May 2011 1:21 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

Sam, I've always have been told that setting the AC temp more then 4 degrees Celcius below the outside temp is no use. In other words it probably will be pushing low temp air all the time.

I too found that when you set the temp to 20 or below, you get lots of cold air and a cold feeling. 20.5 to 21 seems to resolve it for me. I use the lower temps to cool it down quickly but I first open all the windows for a while to get the bulk of the hot air out first. That way it cools down the fasted inside.

BTW keep pushing the open button on your fob to open all windows at once while stepping towards your car. By the time your driving away, all hot air is out.

They should have installed a "close all windows" button inside tough as you have to close each individually if you do not want to lock the car to do so.

That's how I do it.

Post #103834 31st May 2011 1:29 pm
SamYPKP

Thanks for the advice.

zone30 - that perfectly describes what I see, I'll try dialing it up to 21 with A/C on see if that works. I agree, it would be useful to have a close all windows button without locking. The open all windows is really useful.

simont - dont remember seeing an economy button on the climate control controls.

CG - dont remember having wet feet, but will check for leaks Smile

Concensus seems to be keep A/C on, turn knob past 20 to avoid frozen forheads and hopefully not need to use the full on demist too much.

Post #103846 31st May 2011 4:38 pm
Wing

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Mine does the same thing, misting up when it's raining outside!
I don't keep the air con on but it does work fine for de-misting. The trouble is, sometimes when I start the car from scratch after the air con has been switched off I sometimes get instant misting up of the front screen and side windows. Turning the air con on again does the job, but I don't want to use it when the temp outside is cold, so I've started to use the buttons that divert air to the screen vents temporarily.
I think the problem "if you can call it that" although it does get annoying, is with the air circulation button set to auto, 'it' decides when and where to send/re-circulate the air.
I've tried turning it off 'auto' so it doesn't re-circulate, but you still get that misting up at restart, so for me, the only solution i've found when it's raining other than keep the air con switched on, is to divert air to the screen manually at start-up. Thumbs Up

Post #103847 31st May 2011 4:44 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

bigalf1961 wrote:
never had to use a/c to get rid of misty screens, is it possable you have water collecting in the cabin ie a leak

Misting usually only happens when you eat fish and chips in the car, have damp carpets or doing something you shouldnt really be doing in the car. Shocked

Post #103848 31st May 2011 4:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>