Home > Technical > Driver Information Centre
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
lardy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Rimini Red
Driver Information Centre

I think my dealer has conned me!!!

can anyone confirm what the driver information centre is - is it the LCD display panel in the instrument cluster? If so I have ripped off!

I picked up my TD4 S on Saturday and it doesnt have the LCD display but the old fashioned warning display. Having looked at the new 08 specs the TD4 S now gets the Driver Information Centre. My Invoice clearly shows the sale of an 08 model year TD4S - is this a case for Trading Standards?

I hope i'm wrong - I love the car but I dont like being conned!

Post #7121 19th Sep 2007 7:14 pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame
Re: Driver Information Centre

lardy wrote:
I think my dealer has conned me!!!

can anyone confirm what the driver information centre is - is it the LCD display panel in the instrument cluster? If so I have ripped off!

I picked up my TD4 S on Saturday and it doesnt have the LCD display but the old fashioned warning display. Having looked at the new 08 specs the TD4 S now gets the Driver Information Centre. My Invoice clearly shows the sale of an 08 model year TD4S - is this a case for Trading Standards?

I hope i'm wrong - I love the car but I dont like being conned!

That's my understanding, that it is the LCD display on the dash, that normally just shows the outside temperature and any warning messages. Not standard or available on the "S" according to the May 2007 Price List. Where did you get the 08 specs from?

Have you asked your dealer to clarify this for you?

Post #7123 19th Sep 2007 7:18 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

A contract is anything verbal or written, obviously the written contract is easier to proove than verbal, but Land Rover do offer a 30 day 'no quibble' money back warranty if you are not happy, so you need to move fast. I suggest a very quick letter to record the fact even if you dont need to rely on it later at least you will have filed a letter about the problem in time.

Post #7130 19th Sep 2007 7:36 pm
NightFox

carlfraz wrote:
A contract is anything verbal or written, obviously the written contract is easier to proove than verbal, but Land Rover do offer a 30 day 'no quibble' money back warranty if you are not happy, so you need to move fast. I suggest a very quick letter to record the fact even if you dont need to rely on it later at least you will have filed a letter about the problem in time.

Carl, I also thought that LR did a 30 day refund scheme, but on looking for it I could only find reference to it for used vehicles. Do you know somewhere that refers to it for new vehicles too?

Post #7132 19th Sep 2007 7:41 pm
carlfraz

Not off the top of my head but will try and find something for our friend to use Thumbs Up

Post #7134 19th Sep 2007 7:44 pm
lardy

My invoice is the evidence - it clearly states Model Year 08 and is part of the current promotion they are running, I have checked the 08 manual on owners technical reference and it is different to mine and only gives information about the LCD display not the traditional display that I have and that is detailed in the 07 manual.

To me this is a big difference, and the dealer is going to have to pull something out of the bag if he wants me to keep this car.

If I can confirm my suspicions then its clear that my dealer has mislead me and sold me a car from the 07 stock.

Post #7135 19th Sep 2007 7:46 pm
carlfraz

Kerching, Keching then!!! I would still fire a letter in referring to your invoice/order and recording the point, and seeking their next instruction, ie do you keep this car without charge or penalty until an 08 model is made available to you Thumbs Up !!!

Post #7138 19th Sep 2007 7:52 pm
NightFox

lardy wrote:
My invoice is the evidence - it clearly states Model Year 08 and is part of the current promotion they are running, I have checked the 08 manual on owners technical reference and it is different to mine and only gives information about the LCD display not the traditional display that I have and that is detailed in the 07 manual.

To me this is a big difference, and the dealer is going to have to pull something out of the bag if he wants me to keep this car.

If I can confirm my suspicions then its clear that my dealer has mislead me and sold me a car from the 07 stock.

You need to be aware that the manual covers everything, not just what is fitted to a specific vehicle:

Important
The information contained in this handbook covers all vehicle derivatives and optional equipment. Some of the options may not be fitted to your vehicle unless they formed part of the original vehicle specification. Therefore some parts of this handbook may not apply to your vehicle. Furthermore, due to printing cycles, it may include descriptions of options before they become generally available.

If I'm understanding that you're using the manual as proof of spec, then I think you're going to have a job on your hands, particularly if the actual specification documentation actually says the S doesn't have it.

Post #7140 19th Sep 2007 7:55 pm
lardy

the 07 manual details both LCD and Traditional - but the 08 only details the LCD, ergo the traditional display has been removed from the 08 model. This along with the 08 model spec which says it has DIC should provide enough evidence.

In reality I will accept the car but I feel they will need to compensate me either financially or in accessories as it will affect its resale.

Looks like my towbar might be free after all!

Post #7142 19th Sep 2007 8:03 pm
NightFox

lardy wrote:
the 07 manual details both LCD and Traditional - but the 08 only details the LCD, ergo the traditional display has been removed from the 08 model. This along with the 08 model spec which says it has DIC should provide enough evidence.

In reality I will accept the car but I feel they will need to compensate me either financially or in accessories as it will affect its resale.

Looks like my towbar might be free after all!

Ah, if the 08 model spec says the S has the DIC then that gives you a good case. Where did you get the 08 spec from?

Post #7144 19th Sep 2007 8:20 pm
NightFox

One other thing to consider - did you specifically order an 08 model or were you specifically told that you would be receiving an 08 model? If the first mention of an 08 model by either you or the dealer is on the invoice, then the only issue is an error on the invoice, which is of no legal consquence as far as Sale of Goods is concerned.

Post #7145 19th Sep 2007 8:28 pm
carlfraz

Correct Nightfox as I said earlier, it is all back to the 'contract or deal that was agreed either verbally or in writing'. If it was agreed the car was to be an 08 spec which according to the spec you have been shown by the dealer states the DIC is included, but the car received does not have this then you have a case.

Post #7146 19th Sep 2007 8:44 pm
lardy

The original quote says 08 model year and the Invoice says 08 model year, the specs are on the Land rover Website as is the 08 manual.

If I wasnt so excited about owning a freelander 2, I wouldnt have noticed!

Post #7147 19th Sep 2007 8:48 pm
NightFox

Actually I think the spec on the web site (Specifications --> Features and Options) hasn't been updated for a while, and it's always conflicted with the printed brochures.

Still, as you say, it clearly states that the DIC comes as standard on the S, whichever year model it's referring to!

Post #7148 19th Sep 2007 9:14 pm
carlfraz

Current spec according to LR on their website says DIC across the fulkl range as std!!!

Post #7150 19th Sep 2007 9:32 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>