« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > TURBO COOL-DOWN
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
TURBO COOL-DOWN

Does anybody know if the Freelander 2 needs to be kept running for a while after long drives to allow the turbo to cool down?
There are quite of number of Turbo Diesel's here in Australia that are fitted after-market mechanisms that do just that. It's a bit wierd when you witness people get out of their vehicles, lock the door and walk off with the motor still running. Motors continue runing for 3 or 4 minutes.
After a workout in the SD4, I hear a "whirring" noise coming from the engine bay - is that some sort of turbo cooling system?

Post #103346 26th May 2011 12:50 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

I always let mine run for a few seconds before switching off, but as far as I know you don't need to do it.

the eco stop/start doesn't do it so it's probably not required

Iain

Post #103354 26th May 2011 1:36 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I am sure on the new td's it has some fancy cool down pump when the engine is switched off. My td5 defender use to whine for about 30secs after shut down, that was a pump that kept running oil round the turbo I thinks!

Post #103362 26th May 2011 3:05 pm
alex_pescaru

I only wait if I was driving on boost (hard, sporty way) for extended periods of time. No more than 2 minutes.
If I was driving in normal manner, even after cruising at 70 mph on highway, I don't wait.

The 160HP TD4 variant, doesn't have any turbo/oil cooling system that works after power-down.
I don't know, yet, if the 190HP version has one. But I don't think so...

As for the buzzing/whirring, I believe that are the radiator cooling fans. They can run for 1-2 minutes after the engine stops, depending on how hot was the engine.
The versions equipped with Webasto supplementary heaters have an additional water pump to circulate the water inside the system when the Webasto system is working. Only and only if the Webasto was working during power-down, the water pump will continue to work for about 30 seconds to cool-down the Webasto burner. Otherwise, no. This additional Webasto water pump is easily heard inside after switching down the engine.

But it is easy to see. Just pop the hood (car's Laughing ) when you stop the engine and hear the sound, and see from where it comes. I bet it is the radiator cooling fans... Very Happy

Post #103366 26th May 2011 4:39 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Jacksback, you are quite correct, if I was fitting an engine delay module I would set the cool down time for three and half mins. I never switch mine off for at least a min and when towing in europe in hotter climates I normally allow it to cool for 3-4 mins just ticking over. The lower combustion temp at idle helps lower the temp in the turbo which helps prolong the life of the seals and reduces the oil cooking in the oil galleries around the turbo causing a glogged up effect overtime. I have run diesels for years including driving trucks and never suffered turbo failure , even in the middle east! Good luck and keep it up !.

Post #103370 26th May 2011 5:23 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

It isn't the cooling fan, it's not a whirring or buzzing sound. It's a continous high pitched note almost like a piezo sounder if you know what I mean. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #103374 26th May 2011 6:00 pm
D99

England 

Dave my 57 Td4 SE does exactly the same, then there's a noise like a solenoid or a valve or somthing working when it stops.

Post #103376 26th May 2011 6:12 pm
alex_pescaru

There is a difference between the noise being made by the electronic throttle that reset itself and the one made by the cooling fans after a very hot engine is turned off.

The high pitched sound, made by the electronic throttle, was discussed here: http://www.freel2.com/forum/post70048.html#70048

Last edited by alex_pescaru on 26th May 2011 6:41 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #103377 26th May 2011 6:39 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I've heard both the solenoid and whirring noises...however neither are 'turbo timers' or cooling systems for the turbo.

There aren't many normal driving situations where you need to be idleing to cool the turbo, especially on relatively low pressure turbo's like on the Freely's. It's more about ensuring the turbo is spooled down before stopping the engine (so no revving then immediately stopping!) and this takes a matter of 2 or 3 seconds.

There's very few times I'm sure where you'll be driving 'on boost' and then parking and stopping the engine in less than a minute or so so there's no point in worrying about it. Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #103378 26th May 2011 6:41 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I just take it easy for the last 1/2 to 1/4 mile before parking, then maybe leave it ticking over whilst undoing seatbelt etc. then press the fob to release and it doesnt stop the engine Rolling Eyes so I press stop button and then press the fob again Rolling Eyes stupid system Banging Head At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #103379 26th May 2011 7:17 pm
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Wow. Lot's of replies and all are very helpful (I think!), so thank you. Diesel engines have changed quite dramatically ove the past 5 years or so and so too the turbo technology and monitoring systems, so who knows if there's any need for those 'after-market' mechanisms that many people are investing in. There's an old saying that "where there's smoke, there's fire" so there is probably a lot of value in allowing the turbo to cool down, at least partially after a heavy workout and more so if the turbo has been engaged recently for any length of time. Thanks again.

Post #103426 27th May 2011 11:32 am
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

I would think in general most journeys are probably like my experience is.

In that my journeys always end with several miles of 30mph drive after the 70mph Whistle motorway driving.

I can't think of many times when I would finish 70mph driving with an immediate stop.

Only exception I can think of is stopping at the motorway services on-route - which I try to avoid. 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #103427 27th May 2011 11:38 am
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Quote:
Only exception I can think of is stopping at the motorway services on-route - which I try to avoid.

But even then you'll be off the throttle for 30 seconds or so as you slow from cruising speed, the tootling finding a space, there'll be the best part of 2 mins with the turbo not doing anything and cooling down then.

Mate of mine has a track car with a turbo timer on it and that doesn't engage if you take the last 3 or 4 corners steadily into the pits after a session. It's all a bit overrated on 'everyday' cars nowadays. When working none of the plant machinery my family's business had never had them on, and they would more regularly go from full power to stopping in short spaces of time, with no problems. Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #103436 27th May 2011 12:30 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

I've not read about the need to cool the turbo before. However owners' manuals used to warn about oil pressure. Namely, that the turbo spins very fast so needs decent oil pressure, so the advice was always to idle the engine and allow the pressure to rise before accelerating, and similarly, to idle for a few seconds before switching off, to allow the turbo to spin down. The manuals also warned against the old (and nowadays completely unnecessary) habit of reving the motor before switching off, for the same reason. As far as I know that advice still stands, although it may be that bearing technology has improved since the early days?

Post #103506 27th May 2011 10:29 pm
gerryca

It hasn't.

Always let the engine idle for a bit.
After a high speed run, either back off 5 mins towards the end and let it cool down or...

1 minute of idle for every hour of high speed driving is the best advice.

Post #103507 27th May 2011 10:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>