« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Central Air vent
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
kezman50

England 
Central Air vent

Just managed to fix my central air vent (the left One)...the silver button had come off from the plastic clip behind the fin. It's the second time it's happened.The first time was dealer done under warranty, but warranty is a distant memory so had to have a go myself with a set of tweezers, a bit of brute force and to be frank a whole lot of luck as it could of easily fell down into oblivion!!

The FL2 is put together fairly well but this is one of the areas where everything feels so cheap and flimsy to be honest!

Post #103105 24th May 2011 7:37 pm
dunroof

Pull it apart and see it fixed with large metal staples and anything not seen is rough cut.

Post #103123 24th May 2011 8:43 pm
freedieselauto

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

I have had the same problem. The small black 'U' shaped clip that attaches behind the silver knob is missing on one of my centre vents so I cannot adjust up and down unless with a screw diriver - not very cool. I have been quoted about £44+VAT for a replacement assembly from my local stealer. Too pricey for a 2p bit of plastic but very annoying. Any ideas ? Does anybody have a bucket full of these clips ? - 2007(57) XS Auto, Rimini Red, Alpaca Leather.
- GCS Hawke - Sports, BRG, Vulcan 2.1 inj'. My toy - built it myself in 2001.

Post #103191 25th May 2011 12:02 pm
Hooky

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black

Well it is a small but annoying fault and mines come off the right side. I've had a go with snout-nose pliers and various small screwdrivers then just left it for a few days.

Pondering, I thought I could drill a small hole in the fatter of the two prongs and put some wire through in order to hold it to the fin and then push the silver bit on. Then remove the wire.

So I drilled a 1.5mm hole as close as I could to the main body of the clip. Found a bit of 1mm copper wire and proceeded to attempt repair.

Well it's all good in theory and it worked up to the point of putting the silver clip on. I had it attached a couple of times but it just wont stay put.

Back to the drawing board. I just can't get my head round the need to pull the dash apart to fix this simple fault. ............ Also available in Clean.

Post #108851 30th Jul 2011 1:54 pm
tim4848

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Santorini Black

had the same issue.... went into LR dealership with £5 in back pocket to buy small silver clip on button and got told it's £55 inc VAT as I'd need the whole air vent unit. Fitting charge would be on top. In fairness, when I said it's going to have to be a warranty issue, the second (more senior) person agreed without much questioning.

I'm guessing removing the fascia to replace this must be quite difficult as the LR mechanic didn't manage to put it back correctly (there was a 1cm gap in front of SAT NAV screen) so I had to do a quick u-turn and go back for them to rectify, which they did straight away.

I used the follow up email that the Servicing dept sent me, to say that I was quite disappointed that LR's reputation is about "Being built to last" was let down by such a flimsy bit of plastic.

The replacement unit still has the same silver clip on button so I will imagine it'll go again in the next year or so Sad

Post #112691 10th Sep 2011 4:23 pm
freedieselauto

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

tim4848,

Do you have the old vent with the black "U" shaped clip that atatches to the front silver bit? If so I would be happy to buy it off you/donate to the site as it really annoys me and I am unwilling to shell out for whole unit. - 2007(57) XS Auto, Rimini Red, Alpaca Leather.
- GCS Hawke - Sports, BRG, Vulcan 2.1 inj'. My toy - built it myself in 2001.

Post #116026 7th Oct 2011 12:51 pm
tim4848

sorry fda..... i was just pleased that dealer was replacing it under warranty to think about asking for the old part back, although i would have thought they were within their rights to keep the old part for refurbishing???

Post #116079 7th Oct 2011 7:42 pm
lad

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

See here http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic10048.html

Post #116125 8th Oct 2011 12:11 am
Aero_383

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Ipanema Sand

My silver fin that adjusts the air vent direction (central off side) literally came off in my hands this evening.
I was hardly touching it. The heat was on full blast at the time and I was surprised how hot the chrome fin gets. Shocked

Having read two threads on the subject, I wouldn't attempt to remove speaker covers to get to the vent, but there must be a simpler way ? I've got enough rattles as it is, I don't want more.
Is this a warranty job, or has anyone come up with an easier method to reattach the fin to the remaining clip behind the central vertical slat ? _________________
Gone - 2010 Rimini XS

Post #167671 16th Jan 2013 11:33 pm
Aero_383

Managed to get the clip out from behind the vertical slats, and the clip and the fin fit together very tightly...in fact I don't know if I can get them apart without breaking it !
Any suggestions how to remove central vertical vent slat so I can reattach without major dash surgery would be appreciated.
Thanks _________________
Gone - 2010 Rimini XS

Post #167940 18th Jan 2013 4:26 pm
Pointsman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I considered a 59 reg HSE on a dealers forecourt that also had one of these missing. I assumed that it had been abused but it seems that very little is required to cause failure. Will handle mine with kid gloves.

Post #167943 18th Jan 2013 4:39 pm
Dead-Rat

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Sumatra Black

Are these covered in the warranty ?

For a 18 month old car I didn't expect it to snap off in my hand ! Big Cry SD4 Sports LE Black ...

Post #171078 9th Feb 2013 5:03 pm
Aero_383

I'll let you know wednesday, mines going in for this and some other stuff then. Thumbs Up _________________
Gone - 2010 Rimini XS

Post #171300 11th Feb 2013 6:24 pm
Aero_383

Update..

The chrome fin and plastic back piece that secures it inside the vent was given to my dealers yesterday for fixing, and they decided to replace the entire vent with a new one, fin and all, under warranty. Thumbs Up _________________
Gone - 2010 Rimini XS

Post #171709 14th Feb 2013 9:12 pm
tim4848

Clearly a very poor quality part and I'm glad LR are sorting these issues under warranty. In just over two weeks time, when no longer under warranty, I'm seriously considering some sort of modification to the fin so it doesn't happen again. Has anyone else drilled and filled and/or bolted one of these fins?

Post #171725 14th Feb 2013 10:58 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>