Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Trailer Control Module .. how what does it sense?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AndyP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black
Trailer Control Module .. how what does it sense?

Towbar electrics used to work fine (2 years ago) but on testing with two different trailer setups today .. nothing.
Went right back to the Trailer Control Unit (the box behind the trim) that takes CANBUS in and then drives the appropriate connections down to the trailer socket.

Question: Does anybody know what lights/connections on the trailer it needs sense before it starts working?
It certainly doesn't see the trailer lights as connected (no indicator failure tell tail on the dash, or disabling reversing sensors)

So my guess is that unless the Control Unit senses a trailer connected it Doesn't drive power to the trailer lights. SInce none are currently being driven .. but the 12v supply in is good. hence the question

If for some reason the ECU was re-programmed (I've had a couple of SW updates since I last used the towbar) without the trailer option, would any of the trailer lights work?

Thks

Andy

Post #102985 23rd May 2011 9:14 am
ad210358

England 

I believe unless others can offer a bit more that you will have power to the lights socket etc at all times even if it has not had the unit activated, when you then plug the trailer plug in activation then turns off the Rear Parking Sensors, Rear Fog Lights and the Trailer Indicator on the Dash will the flash withe the indicators along. So you may have a problem with the Module itself Question

Post #103002 23rd May 2011 11:48 am
alex_pescaru

Re: Trailer Control Module .. how what does it sense?

AndyP wrote:
Question: Does anybody know what lights/connections on the trailer it needs sense before it starts working?

Turn signal indicator lamps.
The CJB monitors the turn signal indicator lamps and can detect if more than two lamps are fitted (the side turn signal lamps are not monitored). When a trailer is detected, the trailer warning indicator in the instrument cluster will flash in synchronisation with the turn signal indicators. If one or more of the turn signal indicator lamps on the vehicle or trailer are defective, the trailer warning indicator will not flash to alert the driver to the bulb failure.

AndyP wrote:
If for some reason the ECU was re-programmed (I've had a couple of SW updates since I last used the towbar) without the trailer option, would any of the trailer lights work?

Question: was your trailer electrics/towbar installed after the car was bought?
If yes, then maybe one of the new software updates reverted the configuration of the car back to the original state.
The car, when out of the factory, comes with a specific CCF (car configuration file) which holds the level of equipment installed in the car. Also the dealer, in his diagnose equipment, has this CCF, also known as "As Built" file.
If this "as built" CCF was reprogrammed inside the car modules, then the later added option(s) - like a trailer electrics - are lost and need reprogramming.

Post #103004 23rd May 2011 1:08 pm
AndyP

Update, my local 4x4 garage plugged in their CANBUS monitor .. the Trailer COntrol Module is configured.
However with their led based trailer plug tester we could see all the leds flash when the ignition is turned on.
Looks like the Trailer Control Module has failed since when you look at the outputs with an oscilloscope there is about a 1/2 sec on - off cycle on all outputs where the voltage swing is only 5v .. hence it must be some sort of failure in the module ... now the challenge is to find a module without purchasing the whole kit!

Post #103008 23rd May 2011 2:25 pm
snapper

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

There has been a LR Special Service Message about towing electric modules:

Quote:
Reference SSM45936
Models Freelander 2
Title L359 – Freelander 2 Towing Module
Category Accessories
Last modified 04-Nov-2010 00:00:00
Symptom Electrical Accessories
Content
Issue:
Customer may report either failure of Trailer Lights or inoperative PDC

Cause:
Towing module out of communication with vehicle

Action:
Before replacing the module try to re-configure the unit with IDS. This can take a few attempts before communication with the vehicle is gained. Check to see if all towing electrics and PDC are working.

When I fitted my trailer electrics last week, there was a note that they were not suitable for LED lights.
I suspect the 5v swing is a bulb detection routine - if there is a (limited) current draw then a bulb must be fitted.
Low/No current draw = no trailer connected - the LEDs might not be drawing enough current to activate the module.

Cheers

Darren

Post #103024 23rd May 2011 7:41 pm
AndyP

Thanks ...

I'll update when it's been reset.

Andy

Post #103041 23rd May 2011 10:37 pm
AndyP

Update

snapper got it spot on ... the trailer module needed to be re-configured

Of course the question is .. how did the trailer module lose its brain in the 1st place since it was working just fine (admittely it's been a couple of years since I last connected a bike rack )

The 5v swing is some sort of detection routine by the controlling FETs , once you connect a 'bulb' type resistance in-circuit they detects it just fine. This occurs before (and after) the unit got re-configured.

Oh for the days of connecting trailer socket via those funky piggy back scotch connectors.

Andy

Post #104453 6th Jun 2011 7:19 pm
Chr1s23

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Tonga Green

I have been told by the company that makes/sells the module "Land Rover have a sequence for trailer recognition, which is any time the trailer is installed or disconnected the ignition needs to be cycled and the brake touched".
Have yet to test this method, but when my module does not work, eventually by switching on side lights, hazard flashers ignition the unit bursts into life, so I may have stumbled across the solution, but as I can't remember the exact sequence, I will try this method next time I have problems.

Post #224451 10th May 2014 10:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1