« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Why are there no bargain prices on FLs anymore
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ashtons99

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
Why are there no bargain prices on FLs anymore

In Oct 08 I bought a land rover direct 6 month old HSE with 4k on the clock from Farnells for 24k. I reckon I saved around 12k on new price.

Im in the market for a change looking for a direct replacement 2011 model year ,same spec etc, just a change of colour - tempted by white.

A browse through all the usual places, autotrader, pistonheads, ebay seems to show that 6 month old HSE sub 5k miles now are doing nearly new prices - anything up to 37k. What has happened, did I buy at an all time low, are they more desirable, is it the exchange rate, price of japenese knot weed or some other factor?

If anyone can find me a nice "cheap" white 2011 HSE can they give me a shout please!!!!

Post #101747 12th May 2011 10:20 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

One word: Snow

The last couple of winters have been bad, especially the last one. People have been floundering about in the snow in their 2WD cars and getting stuck whilst we plough through regardless.

One member on here reported that a dealer in scotland had sold all stock including ex courtesy cars! Shocked

Customers were placing orders left, right and centre and even though we are now in the warmer months, last winter is still on people's minds so demand is still high and we may be in for more of the same this winter... LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #101750 12th May 2011 10:26 pm
Junior

England 

You were lucky enough to buy while the market was in turmoil.
2 people I know bought FL2's around the same time 1 being a 6 mth old HSE and another bought a 2 year old HSE they have both recently sold them for a profit.

No bargain FL2s about anymore, used prices are very strong cos everyone now knows they are ACE Thumbs Up

Look on the bright side your own car may be worth more than you think it is Very Happy

Post #101751 12th May 2011 10:27 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

The Doctor wrote:
One word: Snow

The last couple of winters have been bad, especially the last one. People have been floundering about in the snow in their 2WD cars and getting stuck whilst we plough through regardless.

One member on here reported that a dealer in scotland had sold all stock including ex courtesy cars! Shocked

Customers were placing orders left, right and centre and even though we are now in the warmer months, last winter is still on people's minds so demand is still high and we may be in for more of the same this winter...

When I went to the factory last month they told me that they had a dealer conference at the factory last winter and less than half the dealers turned up in Land Rover products, simply because they didn't have anything left on the books that they could use for the journey!

Post #101762 13th May 2011 6:56 am
realspeed

United Kingdom 

When i got my freelander about 4 weeks ago or so the dealers said they had nearly sold a years quota in the first quarter of the year demand was so great.

Realspeed Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #101766 13th May 2011 8:09 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

simply supply and demand............short supply and high demand keep the prices high.

I think the FL2 has proved that it has been a massive step forward in refinement and quality compared to the FL1 and potential buyers have realised this.

Iain

Post #101767 13th May 2011 8:26 am
Triple7

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

At the same time you bought your FL2 HSE, a friend bought a 330i BMW, 1000 miles on clock, ex- demo, list £39k, he paid £22k. They wre desperate times. Would keep yours, cheapest motoring you will ever do. 2010MY Freelander 2 HSE Auto
Santorini Black with Ebony Napoli Leather

Post #101788 13th May 2011 11:50 am
lmorris4975

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

I have had my FL2 about 18 months now, and am very happy with it. I keep looking on Autotrader etc etc and the prices for FL2's the same year, spec and mileage as mine are higher than what i payed 18 months ago. i hope the prices stay high Thumbs Up

Post #101792 13th May 2011 12:10 pm
Rob_c

United Kingdom 

As has already been said, the later months of 2008 were a buyers Market.I purchased a 12 month old touareg at the time for £23700 which was an almost 40k car new.in January when I placed the order for my FL2 the dealer phoned up the dealer I purchased from to get an underwrite price and after 27 months they offered 21k to buy it back.

Post #101831 13th May 2011 7:01 pm
pjelsworth

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Alaska White

I have just ordered a new FL2 and was amazed at the value of my 3 year old one, and also how scarce new ones are. We worked out a deal with our dealer and in the meantime they found a customer willing to pay more. In the end it was sold to us but it needed the manager to step in. Anyway, in summary it seems the demand is very strong for both new and used ones.

I have a friend who bought a Merc on a PCP with a final baloon payment and he had to give it back because it was worth less than the final payment. On the other hand, we had lots of equity in the FL2

Post #102386 17th May 2011 4:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1