« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > More advice needed on new SD4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
GeorgeG

United Kingdom 
More advice needed on new SD4

Thanks to everyone who responded to my recent requests for information. I am edging closer to ordering a new SD4 and am in discussion with a couple of local-ish dealers. no firm prices have been agreed yet. One dealer told me he would not come up with a price until I had been to all the other dealers first because he knew I would play them off against each other. He would then make his pitch - he wasn't golng to waste time being the first in the process.

I have noticed that some of the brokers have dropped their discounts to below £1000 on some new FL2 models. Does this mean it will be more difficult to get a meaningful discount now from a main dealer? I understood that at least 5% was possible. Any advice from members of this forum who have recently ordered a new FL2 would be very useful.

Regarding what colour combination to order, it is much more difficult now many of the colours offered for the facelift model are now unavailable due to the Japanese earthquake. My wife likes the idea of Almond leather, but practicality is a consideration. We are not so much concerned about keeping the leather clean, it is more to do with the plastic trim - i.e. door cards and wheel arch liners etc. My experience is the the quality of the plastic is more important than the colour when it comes to keeping it clean. I had a Nissan XTrail with grey plastic trim which was impossible to clean with any cleaner and any amount of scrubbing, including a abrasive pad on an electric drilll. On the other hand, my Subaru which also has grey trim simply wipes clean with any proprietary plastic and vinyl cleaner, however filthy it is. You cannot know how it will clean just by looking at it. What is the quality of FL2 trim like and will it clean easily?

On colour combinations, my wife has expressed a liking for grey and almond. I thought this a little strange, but saw a new Discovery 4 in the showroom in this combo. Any views on this from owners of similar would be appreciated - we want a change from black leather.

Post #102377 17th May 2011 1:09 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

hi see if nfu have still got there offer of 5% discount on freelanders from land rover cost me approx 100.00 to join but got 5% discount on my 2011xs saved approx 2.400 quid Razz rainy-city
xs

Post #102381 17th May 2011 1:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Drive the deal still seem to be offering about 9% discount. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #102382 17th May 2011 2:29 pm
SimonB

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Including £350 of accessories that got thrown in (accidentally I think), I got a 7.3% discount on a new SD4 HSE with Premium Pack in March. This was an already built model and bought with the 2 yr interest free finance deal.

Post #102383 17th May 2011 2:29 pm
Triple7

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I agree with the dealer, I don't mess around by playing off other dealers, I usually get 3 quotes, on my last 2 purchases I have contacted my last dealer, my new local dealer and the site sponsor LPR. In the end you get a feel of the prices on offer. It's not about the headline figure, but the 'deal' which is important. Some peeps get so het up with the part-ex price, that they don't realise it's the total cost to change that is the important one!

As for colour combo, Stornoway and almond is a lovely combo. Thumbs Up The interior plastics are very easy to keep clean and of very good feel and quality (could always be better!). Buying a LR you are moving up to a quality manufacturer and you will find from now, with any future car purchase, your expectations will have been raised buy owning a LR.

If I were you I would go for:

SD4 HSE Auto
Stornoway/Almond
Factory Privacy glass (v important in a vehicle made of glass) Don't do the film! Is the pano roof still standard on the SD4 HSE???)
Xenons.

About £38k, would pay £33-34k for it...... 2010MY Freelander 2 HSE Auto
Santorini Black with Ebony Napoli Leather

Post #102388 17th May 2011 4:33 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

the pano roof is std on all HSE's

Definately go for privacy glass - really finishes the FL2 off nicely. I also went for Xenons and glad i did as some members have criticised the new projector standard headlamps. DONT FORGET THE SPARE WHEEL!!!!! Costs £150 but you get a full size alloy spare with jack and brace - its a no brainer really.

With regard to colour my last FL2 had the Alpacha interior which is similar to almond. I really liked it at first but noticed the leather seats got really dirty really quickly and was a nightmare to keep clean. Also the spot where you put you left foot (i had an auto) just wouldnt clean up. When my car went back after 3 years the spot was almost black!

I had a couple of courtesy FL2's with all black interior and started to prefer it. Looked at Almond when I went for my SD4 but compared it to an all black interior and it won me over. Very glad i went for ebony interior this time around (nice to have a change) but at the end of the day its all down to personal choice! Thumbs Up Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #102410 17th May 2011 9:41 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

I've got black on Alpaca (similar to almond) and I really like the contrast and think a dark colout on light interior is a nice colour combo. The black interior just looks bit dull and bland to me but as said its down to preference

Obviouls lighter colours are always going to show dirt more, but i can personally vouch that even with 3 young muddy kids, using a bit of tender love and care and elbow grese - you can bring things looking(almost) perfect again. Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #102418 17th May 2011 10:38 pm
GeorgeG

United Kingdom 

Thanks to all those who have posted useful replies.

I still have a few reservations over fuel consumption, which is of course a major criticism of the Freelander auto. I see that the official combined mpg figure has improved from 35.8 to 40.4 (for both TD4 and SD4). Being a bit of a cynic I don't trust govt. official figures and am somewhat sceptical about a 190 ps engine being as economical as a 150 ps one. I see that web sites such as Spirit Monitor give actual user average mpg figures for the 'old' 160 ps engine as 29.5 auto (min 28.8/max 31.05) and 32.85 manual (min31.02/ max 36.55). It is too soon to find any useful figures for the 'new' engine as there aren't enough results in yet.

The figures above surprise me as I have seen posts here from users getting quite reasonable figures - although one or two members seem to get dreadful figures of around 20 mpg! Is it down to driving style as much as anything. I live in the country and have a light right foot - I get about 26 overall from a 2.0 petrol turbo 4x4. I need more reassurance that I can get mid 30's on average from an SD4 (or new TD4 if that is more realistic). Am I being over-optimistic?

Your thoughts are welcome as always.

Post #102447 18th May 2011 10:27 am
SimonB

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Currently averaging 30.6 when driving reasonably spiritedly. I tried driving more economically initially and was getting 33-34. Since even this was less than I had hoped for, and was getting a little frustrated with rate of progress I accepted that economy was not going to be what I had expected and I would enjoy the car. This is a mix of town and motorway, but as with all MPG figures, it's so hard to compare between individuals.

Post #102448 18th May 2011 10:35 am
Fuzzkaz

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Firenze Red

Honestly my SD4 seems to be doing 34-36mpg mixed A roads and motorways, less around town but I don't do much of that. got 48mpg this morning in the 25 miles after filling up but I was driing like a saint SD4 Sport LE Firenze Red - no options or modifications yet, but it's early days.

Post #102449 18th May 2011 10:41 am
Triple7

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

George while MPG figures are important to a certain extent (I am 'disappointed' with mine, having owned a D3 & RR Sport which got similar results but waaayy bigger!), if it's a frugal car you want, a 4x4 probably isn't the way to go. From an expenditure point of view, whether you get 30 or 35 MPG out of a tankful isn't going to make a huge difference to your budget. You could just drive it less or buy the manual Rolling Eyes The bigger elephant in the room is depreciation, showroom tax, VAT @20%. If you buy new, then expect to lose at least £6k in the first year on depreciation alone. If you want to drive a great vehicle, to your exact spec and enjoy your hard earned cash, then I say you won't let the difference of a few mpg's disuade you from just getting on with it and buying a fab new FL2.

I'll put my money where my mouth is and say that from an SD4 Auto you will get 35mpg as an average. But if you do a lot of very short, start stop journeys, in town, without the engine getting warm etc etc, then you won't get more than 20 something mpg. But this sort of driving isn't the norm, so you can't expect it to give you an average in the 30's.

If you give me your spec, I'll gladly get you a quote from my dealer for you to compare with yours.
Thumbs Up 2010MY Freelander 2 HSE Auto
Santorini Black with Ebony Napoli Leather

Post #102466 18th May 2011 12:18 pm
SamYPKP

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

SimonB wrote:
Currently averaging 30.6 when driving reasonably spiritedly. I tried driving more economically initially and was getting 33-34. Since even this was less than I had hoped for, and was getting a little frustrated with rate of progress I accepted that economy was not going to be what I had expected and I would enjoy the car. This is a mix of town and motorway, but as with all MPG figures, it's so hard to compare between individuals.

I came to the same conclusion Thumbs Up Driving economically I was getting about 35mpg on our regular journeys while running in, a mix of town and A roads. I now have a bit of fun when driving, and still averaging 33 - maybe I need to try to enjoy the car a bit more and get it down to 30mpg Smile

I've been able to sustain 45mpg+ on a few occasions, but this was sticking to 50mph in the slow lane of the A2 - this was to extend the journey time so our 6 month old would sleep and not be grumpy when she woke up.

We all know official figures are to be taken with a pinch of salt, but for me at least, getting 5mpg less than official figures compares well getting 10mpg less than office figures on my last car (Vauxhall Antara 4x4 - 2ltr turbo diesel, 150ps - official 32mpg - my average 22mpg!)

Post #102471 18th May 2011 12:44 pm
BrianAbbott

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Ipanema Sand

GeorgeG wrote:
Thanks to all those who have posted useful replies.

I still have a few reservations over fuel consumption, which is of course a major criticism of the Freelander auto.

Personally I don't think its that bad at all. My current steed averages 4mpg less than my last - a BMW 320d Auto Touring. Given the greater rolling resistance (Haldex, bigger tyres, etc) and frontal area I think that's as good as you'll get. Remember any 4x4 will have a consumption penalty. It's just that with some you don't get much in return. With the FL2 you do.

The thing with the FL2, I've found, is the frontal area / wind resistance. mpg goes down like a stone with higher motorway speeds. Brian

MY11 FL2 SD4 GS
Extras to same spec as XS apart from the Satnav, plus Xenons.
Ipenema Sand, Ebony.

Post #102535 18th May 2011 8:54 pm
taztastic

England 

[/quote]
The thing with the FL2, I've found, is the frontal area / wind resistance. mpg goes down like a stone with higher motorway speeds.[/quote]

Most of my driving will be Motorway, sadly, what sort of effect does it have, 70, 80, 90 Hypothetically of course Wink

Would be interested, i have slowed down recently, mainly because so many others have, but enjoy tootling along occasionally.

Paul

Post #102537 18th May 2011 8:58 pm
GeorgeG

United Kingdom 

Triple7 wrote:
George while MPG figures are important to a certain extent (I am 'disappointed' with mine, having owned a D3 & RR Sport which got similar results but waaayy bigger!), if it's a frugal car you want, a 4x4 probably isn't the way to go. From an expenditure point of view, whether you get 30 or 35 MPG out of a tankful isn't going to make a huge difference to your budget. You could just drive it less or buy the manual Rolling Eyes The bigger elephant in the room is depreciation, showroom tax, VAT @20%. If you buy new, then expect to lose at least £6k in the first year on depreciation alone. If you want to drive a great vehicle, to your exact spec and enjoy your hard earned cash, then I say you won't let the difference of a few mpg's disuade you from just getting on with it and buying a fab new FL2.

I'll put my money where my mouth is and say that from an SD4 Auto you will get 35mpg as an average. But if you do a lot of very short, start stop journeys, in town, without the engine getting warm etc etc, then you won't get more than 20 something mpg. But this sort of driving isn't the norm, so you can't expect it to give you an average in the 30's.

If you give me your spec, I'll gladly get you a quote from my dealer for you to compare with yours.
Thumbs Up

Triple, of course you are right about depreciation being the biggest factor in a car's running costs. After buying new cars for a number of years I decided some time ago that it was a mug's game and started buying demo cars or ex management cars (I bought a 7 month old Volvo V70 which was as new for over £11,000 off list from a main dealer) However, the FL2 seems to be a bit like my wife's ex Honda Jazz in that used examples are relatively expensive which makes buying new seem almost sensible. But it's important to remind yourself that they are only new until you drive them from the dealer and within a few weeks the newness novelty wears off.

Of course another attraction of new is the 'improved' engine and the fact that the value of pre-facelift TD4's is bound to soften much more than of late. Going back to mpg, it's because of the depreciation you suffer when buying new that I need to justify the decision to go for the facelift model on the grounds that it will save me money. From what I have written above it looks like I am trying to justify buying new to myself!

Thanks for the offer re a quote from your dealer - I have three so far and one that looks OK.

Post #102540 18th May 2011 9:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>