« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Coolant Leak- Design fault? EGR Valve and cooler £750 all in
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Cagliere

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue
Coolant Leak- Design fault? EGR Valve and cooler £750 all in

I have had a leak on my car since 20000 miles; losing coolant without any detectable location in the engine bay or in the car interior. This has been going on for nearly a year until it finally came to a head when smoke started pouring out of the exhaust and then stopped!
I took the car to Lookers Park Royal who have been excellent. It is the EGR Valve and Cooler - cost £215 plus vat plus 3.2 hours labour. Total cost to fit £750.

Called Land Rover customer care and informed them of my woes with the car. I offered to pay for the labour if they would pay for the defective parts. They knew that it was previously owned by Landrover and that the fault developed 2 months outside of the warranty with a measly 20000 on the clock. Called me back today to say what I already knew " As you are the second owner and the car is out of warranty..." tough.

The person I spoke with saw my point but sadly her line manager does not believe in customer retention.

Putting aside my disappointment I have to warn all of those with 2.2 diesels if you are loosing water take it back to your dealer and get it looked at. If they cannot find the problem it is likely to be the EGR valve. It vents the water directly out through the exhaust so you may not even notice. It appears to happen when the engine is switched off but can also happen during driving.

You will notice about 500ml going each time per journey whether it is 200 miles or 20 miles. I think what happens is that once the engine stops the water leaks through the EGR valve under the residual pressure in the cooling system.

In my mind the part was either installed defective or manufactured defective. Don't let Land rover fob you off.

They know there is a problem and are doing nothing about it.
They actually offered me a discount on a new car?!! How bizarre is that? They are in effect saying that their cars are only good for 3 years. Kurt

Post #101684 12th May 2011 2:01 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Hmmmmmm, "Landrover Customer Service " I have to say is bad ! I have dealt with and wouldnt bother again ! Mines due a change really as its just comming up three years old ! but as much as i like the FR2, Customer service and dealer support has been the worst of any new car i have owned in the last 35 years !
I may have to sniff around else where first !

One of my family memebers was Fleet manager of a fleet of 900 cars and she blew out L/R few years back after a very rude insult from L/R customer service. She controlled the fleet so all the Discos and RR went and never allowed anymore on the fleet. Says it all really. She did warn me the L/r customer service was the worst of all the manufactures she dealt with and I now feel she was right !
Very big shame and very short sighted.
I think its a disgrace that you had to pay £750 for a repair 2 months out of warranty at such low mileage !2nd ownership is just an excuse especially as it was L/r own vehicle ! bad bad bad.

Post #102902 22nd May 2011 3:50 pm
dunroof

I agree, it terrible. In honesty, who'd buy a LR unless we were smitten by the car. It's certainly not the sales, service or aftercare is it!

Just got the calculator out. Labour at 144.70 an hour incl VAT? Shocked No doubt someone will tell me it's par for the course, but it's a little on the high side?

Anyway, out of curiosity, what sort of discount did they offer you or didn't you get that far?

Post #102930 22nd May 2011 6:00 pm
Cagliere

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue

The labour rate us spot on. Lookers were very understanding. I actually took the car away and am having it repaired by a non LR garage. they are excellent.

I didn't get as far as a discount figure as I could feel my adrenalin beginning to course through my veins when I heard what their proposal was. I challenged them that what they were saying was that their cars were unreliable after three years and they endorse this with a discount! What a shame. I don't know if you can put photos up on this but I have a picture of the offending egr valve which has a Peugeot and Citroen stamp but no Land Rover stamp or Ford stamp. I suspect that the part is cheaper from a Peugeot dealership too, but it is all academic. I have to admit that I still love the car but am going to test drive the new grand Cherokee this month. Kurt

Post #102959 22nd May 2011 9:52 pm
dunroof

I can appreciate that. A real stinger!

Post #102961 22nd May 2011 10:03 pm
burko73

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

mines just started up this morning and it tells me coolant low. its just below the min despite having been topped up when serviced 2 weeks ago.

Post #120939 21st Nov 2011 10:54 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1