« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Bluefin not an option for mate's 11MY TD4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
gDallasK

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black
Bluefin not an option for mate's 11MY TD4

A good mate of mine has a new manual TD4 and was keen to extract a bit more torque from his new purchase to help him towing.

A Bluefin looked like the ideal solution.

Thumbs Up

He was devastated to discover that it doesn't work.

Big Cry

... in case anyone else was thinking of following the same route as my mate.

Personally, I think he was a bit crazy anyway.

Rolling with laughter The map is not the territory

2011 TD4 GS Manual - Gone
2014 SD4 XS Auto - Gone
2018 Jaguar E-Pace R-Dynamic 180 AWD

Post #101644 12th May 2011 10:21 am
alex_pescaru

Indeed...
Remember that the manual box can't handle all of 400 Nm of default torque.
In first gear and reverse there is a torque truncation map programmed inside engine's ECU.
To increase the torque is not a good idea for the box, not to mention the problematic clutch...

Post #101649 12th May 2011 10:32 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

out of interest what doesn't work?

I know of a few that have run blufin and other makes on their FL2 manuals Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #101652 12th May 2011 10:48 am
gDallasK

Mate tells me that the bootloader wouldn't transfer to the ECU. Aren't the 11MY manual cars fitted with the eD4 engine? Perhaps there are changes to the ECU beyond the stop / start programming?

He tells me that he spent a long time talking to technical support at Superchips, who were very helpful. The problem first appeared on Mondeos fitted with this engine and there is no easy fix using the Bluefin. The map is not the territory

2014 SD4 XS Auto - Gone

Post #101659 12th May 2011 11:29 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

As you say must be the new ecu, the newer D4 SDV6 can't be remapped this way either from what I read on disco3, think they have to replace the ecu to do it Shocked Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #101660 12th May 2011 11:39 am
lmorris4975

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

alex_pescaru wrote:
Indeed...
In first gear and reverse there is a torque truncation map programmed inside engine's ECU.
To increase the torque is not a good idea for the box, not to mention the problematic clutch...

I was thinking of getting the superchips Bluefin, will it cause problems with the clutch and gearbox then ???

Post #101681 12th May 2011 1:57 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

depends how your drive a car with a remap on, if your doing it to gain mpg and dont get carried away with the extra torque and develop a heavy right foot then no you will not have any problems Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #101685 12th May 2011 2:18 pm
gDallasK

npinks wrote:
depends how your drive a car with a remap on, if your doing it to gain mpg and dont get carried away with the extra torque and develop a heavy right foot then no you will not have any problems

Given the award listed in your signature line, you are not speaking from direct experience here!

Laughing The map is not the territory

2014 SD4 XS Auto - Gone

Post #101686 12th May 2011 2:25 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Laughing No my award is gained via very short trips with work, and a quest never to be over taken by a BMW on a motorway on my longer trips Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #101687 12th May 2011 2:28 pm
alex_pescaru

lmorris4975
Nick (npinks) has answered to your question quite to the point.

Post #101695 12th May 2011 3:37 pm
lmorris4975

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

I was looking to mainly improve MPG but a few extra horses is nice when over taking. Has any one had a remap and did it improve the MPG ?

Post #101696 12th May 2011 3:37 pm
zoey

United States 

Am I correct in my assumption that Bluefin does not provide a mapping for petrol engines? If so, can someone make a suggestion?

Post #101736 12th May 2011 9:28 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

alex_pescaru wrote:
Indeed...

That's not entirely true. Land Rover are fitting the Evoque SD4 190PS with the same manual gearbox as Freelander TD4/TD4e. As already said, the engine mapping from the factory limits torque in 1st and then to a lesser degree in 2nd.

The superchips re-map does exactly the same thing. It limits the torque in 1st and 2nd to protect the gearbox.

I have ran Superchips Bluefin for over three years now and not had one issue. But then again I am not a hard driver. If driven normally then you can expect to see a slight improvement in mpg.

The latest cars, not just Land Rover are having ECU's designed in a way that the mapping programme cannot be read. It is a slow way of stamping out re-mapping all together.

I remember in the late 80's, chipping was very popular, simply where you remove one chip and fit another with a tuned file. Then manufacturers in the mid 90's fitted solid state ECU's that are programmed and do not have a removeable chip.

This stopped the tuning for a while until people figured out how to 're-map' through the OBD plug directly into the ECU. This is how it's been done since but the next generation of ECU is on the way.

Freelander will be mappable on TD4e and 2011TD4 as it is the same system as original Freelander 2's, it just has more security in the ECU which has to be cracked.

On Evoque however, it has the latest control systems and will have the new Jaguar XJ BCM unit so this will be a tough nut to crack.

But all the tuners will eventually get round it. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #101819 13th May 2011 4:54 pm
alex_pescaru

Mav71 wrote:
That's not entirely true. Land Rover are fitting the Evoque SD4 190PS with the same manual gearbox as Freelander TD4/TD4e. As already said, the engine mapping from the factory limits torque in 1st and then to a lesser degree in 2nd.
The superchips re-map does exactly the same thing. It limits the torque in 1st and 2nd to protect the gearbox.

I don't know of a method for the engine ECU to know if you are in 2nd gear...
There are switches for Reverse and 1st gear that inform the ECU, but for the second gear, I can't find one....

And in the end, anyone can do whatever he/she wants with his/her car. It's their money.
In my opinion, to increase torque in an engine attached to an already underrated gearbox is something that is inviting troubles... Unless, of course, they know exactly what they do...
So, do they?
And if they do, can you be certain?
And if you are certain, what's the use?
Kidding... Laughing

Post #101821 13th May 2011 5:44 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

The ECU knows which gear the car is in based on speed sensing and engine revs. As everything is electronic now the ECU's have information from all over the car.

A guy I know blew up his engine on his Astra VXR but told the dealer he was not driving very hard He reason was he went to overtake another car in 3rd and it went bang.

The dealer plugged in the diagnostic system 'Tech 2' and found at the point of failure the engine was at 5400rpm and the past speed input was 154mph. Which means he was hammering it in 6th! Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #101869 13th May 2011 8:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>