« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Auto box feels laboured at low revs on 190
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
andycuz

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Auto box feels laboured at low revs on 190

The 190 (therefore auto) does seem to labour at low revs and low gears at what I would say was between 3rd and 2nd on the way down. The car only has 700 miles on it so perhaps it will get better after being run further. Anyone else experienced this?

Post #90808 4th Feb 2011 5:30 pm
weirdfish

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

I do find that I need to give it more throttle that I did in my A4 but I think its just a characteristic of how the engine delivers its power lowdown. I do also find that it sometimes struggles to decide what gear is best between 25-30mph which may once again just a characteristic of the box. The A4 had a CVT auto box in normal mode that you never ever felt it change up or down. The FL has clearly defined gears and I think it's because of that, I notice the hunting more.

On the few times I've had to nip out of a junction and give it lots of gas, it is anything but laboured. For a free country, it does seem pretty expensive these days.

Post #90811 4th Feb 2011 6:05 pm
andycuz

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I agree, accelerating away is super quick. Particularly compared to TD4 Auto I traded up from. TD4 Auto definately seemed smoother changing down though so perhaps it is the characteristics of this box, as you say. I assume box in SD4 is different/an upgrade to TD4 box? In any event, dealer says they will happily drive car with me and check all is okay.

Post #90818 4th Feb 2011 6:30 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

The auto box has adaptive memory and as such it will learn your driving style and adjust to suit. Give it time.
, All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #90828 4th Feb 2011 7:00 pm
trevd01

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I can't say I have experienced what you describe. I never have any idea what gear it is in - it always finds the right one though. Mine seems to favour a gear that means the engine is at about 1800 revs when driving with the flow of traffic. Trevor

'60 reg SD4 XS (long gone!)

Post #90841 4th Feb 2011 8:00 pm
PaulC

United Kingdom 

druand wrote:
The auto box has adaptive memory and as such it will learn your driving style and adjust to suit. Give it time.

Is this true? Not arguing, just amazed!

How does it do it? It is through the ECU or does it have its own control system?

Post #93489 27th Feb 2011 9:46 am
alex_pescaru

I will try to explain the adaptive behaviour.
The transmission has it own ECU, the TCM (transmission control module).
This ECU, through the CAN-BUS receives signals about:
- engine RPM
- engine torque
- engine temperature
- accelerator pedal angle
- road speed
- steering angle sensor
- transmission temperature
- etc.
The TCM, based on these signals and pre-programmed data, calculates the correct gear, torque converter clutch (TCC) settings and optimum pressure settings for gear shift and lock-up clutch control.
So, long story short, a specific gear change, for a specific engine torque and road speed, is stored inside the ECM by default.
The driving style is simplistic defined by the accelerator's angle and its variation's speed during time. In other words, how much you press the gas pedal and how quick.
The driving style is averaged over time and based on this, the shifting points map values inside TCM are corrected (added/substracted) with the averaged value of driving style, therefore allowing an earlier or later shift.
This is the long term adaption.
There are also the short term adaptions.
For example, based on steering angle sensor the TCM usually suspends the shifting moments during cornering to improve driveability. You will see this more on sinuous mountain roads, during ascend when you will never see a gear change during cornering.
Also when the ABS is regulating braking or traction control the TCM will delay the shifting moments in order to not interfere with the braking process or to maximize its efficiency.
Also based on the autobox internal oil temperature the shifting points and/or engine behaviour will be modified as follows, in order to protect the box:
- stage 1: normal shifts and normal TCC (torque converter clutch) apply & release strategy.
- stage 2: 127°C (260°F) shifts become later and TCC remains applied longer.
- stage 3: engine torque reduction.
And so on....
All these are now possible (opposite with the old systems) because of the interconnect of all drivetrain modules over CAN-BUS, where all modules are broadcasting their parameters for all other modules to know them and use accordingly.

Post #93493 27th Feb 2011 11:13 am
PaulC

United Kingdom 

Thanks Alex. I knew this car was clever but I am gobsmacked. I didn't realise just what I am buying!

Presumably then, with 2 drivers, perhaps with differing driving styles, the average values will be averages of the combined styles never tuning exactly to either one?

When you say it is a long term average... what persiod are we talking about... weeks, months?

Post #93495 27th Feb 2011 11:38 am
Landynut

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

I can confirm my wife's SD4 holds on to high gear to the point of labouring the engine slightly. I suspect Land Rover have set gear change points on light throttle to favour fuel economy in order to publish good numbers for marketing purposes. In real life her SD4 only achieves 29mpg for mixed town and motorway driving here in Surrey. Highest we have seen is 36mpg on a run.

A way to avoid the slight labouring I found was to push the shift lever to sport mode and the lower gears are held for further up the rev range. I suspect reading Alex's post, my wife is light on the throttle pedal favouring early change points. 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury Corris Grey
2010 Freelander SD4
1997 Defender 90 XD Wolf (ex Ghurkas)
1991 Defender County 110 V8
1959 Series II
1953 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance

Post #93522 27th Feb 2011 3:37 pm
PaulC

United Kingdom 

I have seen significantly better fuel figures from others on the forum than the ones you quote Landynut. Perhaps you have a particularly thirsty style of driving?

Just a point... I agree that LR may have set the gear changes to favour fuel economy but it is a bit cynical of you to say it is for their published figures. Perhaps it is just to save fuel!!!

Post #93528 27th Feb 2011 5:12 pm
trevd01

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Edit: {off topic post deleted} Trevor

'60 reg SD4 XS (long gone!)

Last edited by trevd01 on 27th Feb 2011 9:10 pm. Edited 3 times in total

Post #93535 27th Feb 2011 5:43 pm
alex_pescaru

Guys, no offence, but there is a specific thread for SD4 MPG issues - http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic8186.html

PaulC wrote:
When you say it is a long term average... what persiod are we talking about... weeks, months?

I didn't see the figures for the FL2 autobox, but the VW Touareg uses the same box and there it's a matter of several hours of continuing drive.
In fact the basic setting of the autobox - initial learning procedure that must be performed after a reset of learned data - is a matter of maximum half an hour.

Post #93576 27th Feb 2011 8:47 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Not sure if the Fl2 auto is the same, but on the D3, if I use command shift to change up and down gears then the box learns this and next time in auto mode the gearbox changes up and down the same as when I selected the changes with command shift...... ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #93585 27th Feb 2011 9:42 pm
Landynut

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

The Sd4 is the most economical car of ours at 29mpg, FFRR TDV8 does 25 mpg (average over a years motoring) and the Defender V8 does 14 mpg. This is pretty much no matter how you drive each of these cars around Surrey, bear in mind it's a crowded county and a lot of stop start. I am sure the SD 4 gear box is set up for economical cruising in higher gears at steady speeds, hence the low revs issue that started this thread, you just need the right driving conditions, not our short commutes my wife and I do. 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury Corris Grey
2010 Freelander SD4
1997 Defender 90 XD Wolf (ex Ghurkas)
1991 Defender County 110 V8
1959 Series II
1953 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance

Last edited by Landynut on 27th Feb 2011 10:57 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #93588 27th Feb 2011 10:46 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

What I have found 3 years running with 2 different Auto FL2's is that after 4-5 days on Isle of Mull's single track roads and passing places, lots of lower gear work and stop start . Also some brisk!!! driving in sport mode when attending accidents during road closures. All 100% legal and very srtictly policed.
Back on main roads you notice the gearchange is different until it readjusts to normal driving. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #93589 27th Feb 2011 10:50 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>