Home > General > New GS v Secondhand HSE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
GeorgeG

United Kingdom 
New GS v Secondhand HSE

Hi all

I've just joined the forum as a prospective purchaser. To be honest I've been considering a Freelander for a number of years and have ended up buying examples of a lot of the competition - Honda CRV 2.0 manual (previous model), Nissan XTrail 2.5 auto (previous model), and Subaru Forester XT 2.0 auto (previous model) - all petrol.

I'm now at the point where I am again looking to change my car and have come here for some advice and to take advantage of the combined knowledge on this site which must be second to none. I have a number of questions and hope you will bear with me.

This time it looks as though Iwill finally take the plunge and it is just a case of which model and s/hand or new. I feel that one of the earlier concerns over reliability is probably no longer a major concern - let me know if you think this is an issue!

I live in a rural village where the surrounding roads are terrible and the Freelander ticks all the boxes for me - 4x4, good ride, comfortable, light steering (I have a long term shoulder injury which means this is an issue with some cars like the old XTrail), great engine/auto gearbox combo, adequate dog space, great design and presence. The main negatives are high cosst in relation to the competition and disappointingly poor mpg in auto.

Bearing in mind my point about the cost, particularly of used examples up to 3 years old, I've concluded that the Freelander may be one of those rare cars where it is probably better value to buy new. My wife ran a Honda Jazz from new because nearly new examples were ridiculously overpriced. In the end we lost very little money on it even though we bought new and sold to a dealer for cash 5 years later.
In order to keep the cost of a new one within reasonable limits I am thinking of going for a GS, but with leather (or leather/alcantara) and a sunroof. These are the only options we really want. I want leather because my Forester is the first car I've had in over 20 years without leather and it was a big mistake - my cars take quite a lot of abuse. My wife wants a sunroof as she has been spoiled by the massive open roofs in the Subaru and Nissan. Also, I much prefer to have the higher profile tyres of the GS as they are more appropriate for my use. I am aware the it is not always sensible to over-spec a fairly base model, bearing in mind the lower resale value compared with the model thaat has the extras a standard, but the GS specced as above would in my view represent a reasonable compromise. However, if anyone thinks otherwise and considers a used HSE would be a better proposition please make your case.

Another attraction of a new Freelander is the choice of 'new' engines. Although only around for a few months, can anyone share their experiences with the SD. Is the SD much nicer to drive and will it really do the same mpg as the TD? Also, what is the likely mpg improvement over the pre-facelift model - i don't trust official figures?

Are there any other feature of the facelift model that are worth having, bearing in mind that I think the alterations to the front are a retrogade step and the rear chrome strip is a bit of unnecessary RRS bling?

If I go for a used HSE to get the leather and sunroof are there any 'extras' that come with this model that I would probably come to appreciate?

Do the lower profile tyres on the HSE lead to a noticeably harder ride and are they OK offroad?

Regarding my move from petrol auto to diesel auto, one of my main concerns is the possible hesitation in take-up, particularly in pulling away from roundabouts. For a brief period I ran a Volvo V70 D5 auto (bought as a demonstrator) and this was a major problem. Clearly I will find diesel somewhat sluggish after my Subaru petrol turbo, but does the Freelander engine have a built-in delay, which I understand is a software measure in the Volvo to protect the gearbox because of the power of the engine, and if so is it noticeable and/or irritating? I've not been aware of such a delay on test drives, but neither was I on the Volvo and it was so annoying it was the reason I got rid after only 9 months.

Finally, what discounts can I expect on a new model and woud it be worth waiting a while for the 'novelty' of the facelift to wear off to get more off?

If you've managed to read all of the above then thanks for your patience. Advice on any or all of the above points will be most welcome. I hope to join you soon as an actual owner!

Regards

GeorgeG

Post #101461 10th May 2011 1:49 pm
MacWallace

Scotland 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Hi GeorgeG,
Welcome to the Forum Thumbs Up
I have to say that there are a number of points that I cannot answer directly as I own an 2010 XS manual. There are however some points that I can address:

Firstly, although as previously stated I own a manual F2, I have driven a new auto SD and have to say there are no flat spots. The take-off from road junctions etc. are pretty sharp and are probably no less than with a manual gearbox. My cousin owns a Honda CRV (petrol) which I have also driven and consider the F2 to be far superior in all respects. The only aspect of any diesel is, in my opinion, the different rattly noise which comes with an oil burner, but that is really only at low speeds. On the open road I really do not notice any difference.

Also, although the GS is pretty well equipped I have to say that things such as the heated windscreen is a real positive in the winter along with the heated seats.

As far as discounts Shocked there are a few brokers that offer cash discounts but in my experience the hassle of selling the car privately can take the sheen off any such deal.

Happy hunting Thumbs Up

Post #101468 10th May 2011 3:09 pm
GeorgeG

United Kingdom 

Thanks Mac. Very useful feedback.

Post #101474 10th May 2011 4:09 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

The FL2 Auto drives much better than many cars, you could not compare the ride quality and driveability between a GS with 65 profile tyres and BMW's with hard wall run flats. FL2 streets ahead.
I have had 2 TD GS auto and now have an SD.
None have let me down, 08 was so good I bought a new 10 plate (same financial reasond as you talk about) this had an unfortunate vibration which dealers tried hard to rectify, end result LR customer service came up with a cash contribution towards a new 11MY SD, I had done 12k with car and agreed.
SD BRILLIANT.
Girvan-Aberdeen + 20-30 miles in forrest. 500miles= 38.6mpg All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #101476 10th May 2011 4:57 pm
GeorgeG

United Kingdom 

druand wrote:
The FL2 Auto drives much better than many cars, you could not compare the ride quality and driveability between a GS with 65 profile tyres and BMW's with hard wall run flats. FL2 streets ahead.
I have had 2 TD GS auto and now have an SD.
None have let me down, 08 was so good I bought a new 10 plate (same financial reasond as you talk about) this had an unfortunate vibration which dealers tried hard to rectify, end result LR customer service came up with a cash contribution towards a new 11MY SD, I had done 12k with car and agreed.
SD BRILLIANT.
Girvan-Aberdeen + 20-30 miles in forrest. 500miles= 38.6mpg

Thanks for that druand.

I see you've had 3 GS's - presumably you think that's all you need for your requirements.
I'm impressed with your mpg figures. Do you notice the extra power/torque in the SD over TD? I'm inclined to pay the extra for SD provided the mpg is nearly as good.

Post #101478 10th May 2011 5:20 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Although I haven't even got my own Freelander yet, I have done nearly 250,000 miles in a series of 3 V70 D5's since 2003.

What I can say is that, much as I love the D5 engine, the turbo lag is noticeable, or VERY noticeable if it's a post 2006 183bhp V70! I look a new type TD4 2.2 diesel Freelander manual out for a 100 mile test drive and it exhibited none of the turbo lag that dogs the V70.

I have to agree, leather is absolutely essential and a sunroof is nice. I ordered a XS with leather and no sunroof and looking back, wish that I'd ordered a GS with leather and a sunroof instead! Oh yes, the heated screen too! Once you've got the essentials sorted out, the added frippery of the HSE seems like unnecessary clutter!

Last edited by Tigger on 10th May 2011 5:44 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #101481 10th May 2011 5:29 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I would defo recommend heated seats & heated screen! Especially with leather! Also the sd4 is alot more pokey, I often find my standard freelander a little sluggish compared to other modern diesels. My mpg is never higher than 20mpg, but it depends how you drive I guess! Most of my driving is country roads and minor A roads! But overall very good car, and great off road and in the snow! Another thing is I find the boot very small compared to other models, my sisters german sheppard fill the boot area and he is not a massive dog.

Post #101482 10th May 2011 5:34 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

If you 'need' the extra gear go for used HSE. No contest for me when I chose the GS as I have no interest in leather unless it is air con cooled like a rangie.

My GS is excellent. I added cold climate pack which brings heated windscreen and washer jets for a mere £250. The standard kit is pretty much all I need and the Alpine sound system is great with Bluetooth and subwoofer in the boot. Heated seats were a definite no go for the extra cost as even on the coldest morning the cloth warms up in a few seconds.

The other advantage of buying new is of course the full warranty and breakdown cover for 3 years. My dealer (Stratstone Nottingham) collect and return the car if it goes in for service or repair and they give FOC courtesy car. All good points to buying new.

The dealer did me a good GMFV deal which 'they say' helps fight against depreciation. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #101489 10th May 2011 6:01 pm
GeorgeG

United Kingdom 

Tigger wrote:
Although I haven't even got my own Freelander yet, I have done nearly 250,000 miles in a series of 3 V70 D5's since 2003.

What I can say is that, much as I love the D5 engine, the turbo lag is noticeable, or VERY noticeable if it's a post 2006 183bhp V70! I look a new type TD4 2.2 diesel Freelander manual out for a 100 mile test drive and it exhibited none of the turbo lag that dogs the V70.

I have to agree, leather is absolutely essential and a sunroof is nice. I ordered a XS with leather and no sunroof and looking back, wish that I'd ordered a GS with leather and a sunroof instead! Oh yes, the heated screen too! Once you've got the essentials sorted out, the added frippery of the HSE seems like unnecessary clutter!

Tigger, fascinating remarks re the V70 and turbo lag - reassuring to know it wasn't just me then. Mine was one of the first 2006 MY 183 bhp examples. I had owned a 240 and then a 740 estate for about 15 years and felt the V70, although a very nice looking car, lacked the honesty and sheer capability and practicality of the earlier Volvos.

Your comments re your test drive have gone a long way to reassuring me over the superiority of the Freelander. I think the D5 lump should really be consigned to the scrap heap when you look at the competition. I am amazed it is still in production, but it may have something to do with the new owners not wanting to invest. Anyway, this is a bit off-topic even if it is of interest to us.

Post #101495 10th May 2011 6:22 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

GeorgeG wrote:
Tigger wrote:

Tigger, fascinating remarks re the V70 and turbo lag - reassuring to know it wasn't just me then. Mine was one of the first 2006 MY 183 bhp examples. I had owned a 240 and then a 740 estate for about 15 years and felt the V70, although a very nice looking car, lacked the honesty and sheer capability and practicality of the earlier Volvos.

Your comments re your test drive have gone a long way to reassuring me over the superiority of the Freelander. I think the D5 lump should really be consigned to the scrap heap when you look at the competition. I am amazed it is still in production, but it may have something to do with the new owners not wanting to invest. Anyway, this is a bit off-topic even if it is of interest to us.

Tempting though it is to go off at (Volvo) a tangent, I was extremely impressed with even the lower powered TD4 that I tried. While it didn't feel it would ever be as fast as the V70, it certainly reacted to the throttle much more quickly and pulled from much lower down in the rev range. I don't think there was ever a need to take it past 2,500 revs at any point during the 100 miles that I used it. Considering the fact that my usual drives are the Volvo and a 300bhp Focus RS, I was expecting the Freelander to be clumsy and slow and it was neither of these things.

Post #101501 10th May 2011 7:16 pm
Triple7

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

What budget are we talking of for the used HSE?

The SD is a great step forward, but not a leap. Go for an auto, although this uses more fuel. My avg. trip is showing 34.1MPG over the past 400 miles. I agree about leather, but it isn't that nice in the FL2, the lux leather of the facelift is good though. Go for the heated front screen and seats. Essential.

Jag/Land Rover have always got the ride sorted. My 18's are fab.

I love buying new cars, but depending on how new your budget will get you, the HSE is the way forward. Poverty spec cars are never that nice......I too think the grille on the facelift looks 'orrible.

The only extra's on the HSE are privacy glass, xenons. 2010MY Freelander 2 HSE Auto
Santorini Black with Ebony Napoli Leather

Post #101512 10th May 2011 8:03 pm
ad210358

England 

Triple7 wrote:

The SD is a great step forward, but not a leap. Go for an auto, although this uses more fuel. My avg. trip is showing 34.1MPG over the past 400 miles. I agree about leather, but it isn't that nice in the FL2, the lux leather of the facelift is good though. Go for the heated front screen and seats. Essential.

I love buying new cars, but depending on how new your budget will get you, the HSE is the way forward. Poverty spec cars are never that nice......I too think the grille on the facelift looks 'orrible.

The only extra's on the HSE are privacy glass, xenons.

And a Spare Wheel, better than a can of jollop any day Thumbs Up

Post #101516 10th May 2011 8:17 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

That makes no sense at all selling the best 4x4 by far with no spare! What a joke! I could never own a car without a proper size spare! The defenders come with an alloy spare and they are tractors!

Post #101517 10th May 2011 8:22 pm
GeorgeG

United Kingdom 

Triple7 wrote:

The only extra's on the HSE are privacy glass, xenons.

Triple7, is your FL2 a pre-facelift. Your mpg looks pretty good- is that mixed driving, lond trips or what?

My budget is probably up to about 30k for the car i.e. my car + cash = 30k - not enough for a new HSE auto.

You say the ride is sorted, do you mean that the suspension setup is good enough to cope with 60 profile tyres or less without ruining the ride quality? In an eaarlier post I mentioned I had run a Volvo V70. The suspension setup was so bad that the ride on 55 profile tyres was terrible, and the tramlining was even worse. Ride quality is something I am somewhat obsessed with. Unfortunately the sort of test drives you get these days are not adequate to come to any useful conclusion as to how good the ride is on poor surfaces, and the road surfaces around here are POOR.

Post #101527 10th May 2011 8:51 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

landy19840 wrote:
That makes no sense at all selling the best 4x4 by far with no spare! What a joke! I could never own a car without a proper size spare! The defenders come with an alloy spare and they are tractors!

Playing devil's advocate for a moment (and speaking as someone who paid the extra to have a proper spare!) there are a lot of people out there who simply don't have the confidence / can't be bothered to change a spare wheel, but are quite happy to use a tin of goo. In addition, not having a spare frees up a huge amount of additional space under the boot floor. Being a little more cynical, the weight of the (optional) spare isn't included in the official fuel consumption and CO2 figure calculations.

Post #101531 10th May 2011 9:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>