Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > BMW X6 = Hideous
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

This is a quote from someone commenting on the full X6 top gear video: dear top gear: any car taken off road car that uses standard tires will perform horribly

Rolling with laughter

Well here is someone who hasn't got a clue. He/she is generalising here because 'standard' tyres vary from one manufacturer to another. Based on the goodyear wrangler all weather tyres which are 'standard' on my FL2 and given what the FL2 can do off road on such 'standard' tyres (not to mention Disco 4 et al), this person would be made to eat humble pie after a day at an LR experience Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #101428 9th May 2011 10:55 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

The Doctor wrote:
This is a quote from someone commenting on the full X6 top gear video: dear top gear: any car taken off road car that uses standard tires will perform horribly

Rolling with laughter

Well here is someone who hasn't got a clue. He/she is generalising here because 'standard' tyres vary from one manufacturer to another. Based on the goodyear wrangler all weather tyres which are 'standard' on my FL2 and given what the FL2 can do off road on such 'standard' tyres (not to mention Disco 4 et al), this person would be made to eat humble pie after a day at an LR experience Thumbs Up

You could read that to mean standard 'road' tyres which bimmers generally are as there performance on road usually requires it...(also the fact they will be run flats) lets face it a land rover is never going to break the land speed record, but we are fortunate to get M+S tyres as standard which means far superior off road performance.

Put a set of decent tyres on an X6 and I'm not saying it would be anywhere as good as a Landrover but a dam sight better than it is with its road tyres. Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #101430 9th May 2011 11:02 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Captain Worm wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

Rolling with laughter

Well here is someone who hasn't got a clue. He/she is generalising here because 'standard' tyres vary from one manufacturer to another. Based on the goodyear wrangler all weather tyres which are 'standard' on my FL2 and given what the FL2 can do off road on such 'standard' tyres (not to mention Disco 4 et al), this person would be made to eat humble pie after a day at an LR experience Thumbs Up

You could read that to mean standard 'road' tyres which bimmers generally are as there performance on road usually requires it...(also the fact they will be run flats) lets face it a land rover is never going to break the land speed record, but we are fortunate to get M+S tyres as standard which means far superior off road performance.

Put a set of decent tyres on an X6 and I'm not saying it would be anywhere as good as a Landrover but a dam sight better than it is with its road tyres.

I agree, the X6 would improve but as you say nothing like LR. I do like BMW's as I said before but for a BMW to live up to the 'ultimate driving machine' it has to be quality RWD 3 series et al. As good as the quality and handling etc may be and not designed for off roading, I could not venture from LR for a 4x4.

Interestingly, BMW et al always state that their X range and so on don't perform off road as thats not what they are designed to be best at. The motoring critics have hit back at this now by saying that LR can make an FL2 that only has 2WD and its still better off road than the competition. Fair enough the tyres play their part but fair play to the LR boffins for this achievement. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #101433 9th May 2011 11:13 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

jp wrote:
When I was look to buy my FL2, I did look at the BMW x3
(I have always like the BMW 3 tourer and with 4 wheel drive i thought a bonus)

When talking to the sells rep in the showroom, he got very upset when I talked about the showing of it on Top gear, he said the show lost over 6 month sale because of it.

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Glad I picked the FL2 Thumbs Up

I still like the look of the X6 coupe rag top ??

Thanksfor the link to thevideo - enjoyed watching that again! Very Happy

Post #101438 10th May 2011 2:45 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Captain Worm wrote:
A UK journo is always going to rave about a British Product (Jaguar / LandRover) and slate foreign rivals - its probably in their contract as it will have a positive effect on the economy, aka better life for themselves

Wow! That's a sweeping generalisation for which I've seen no evidence since the launch of the Austin Metro and Maestro in the early 1980's!

Last edited by Tigger on 10th May 2011 3:21 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #101439 10th May 2011 2:52 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

AndyC wrote:
Its a myth that RWD BMW's are crap in winter

I'll let the owner of the 3 Series (that is the very first car to get stuck trying to get up the hill on the entrance to our estate each time it snows) not to worry, as it's only a myth and he's not really stuck. Again! Laughing

Post #101440 10th May 2011 3:01 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Tigger wrote:
AndyC wrote:
Its a myth that RWD BMW's are crap in winter

I'll let the owner of the 3 Series (that is the very first car to get stuck trying to get up the hill on the entrance to our estate each time it snows) not to worry, as it's only a myth and he's not really stuck. Again! Laughing

But then he didnt have the correct tyres fitted - with studded winter tyres fitted (which your not allowed in the UK) you dont realy "need" 4WD on urban vehicles. My son (in the UK) has a BMW330 coupe with low profile tyres and he got stuck on his drive for a week after several inches of snowfall Laughing
Drove my 3-series in 8 Norwegian snow and ice winters and never got stuck, even on visits to my mountain home.
Again its all down to tyres Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #101442 10th May 2011 6:27 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Agreed, it's all down to tyres and studded tyres make a huge difference; it's just that with the BMW (and most RWD cars), it adds quite a lot of traction to a very low starting point.

http://youtu.be/Q-a0mD6r3LA

Post #101443 10th May 2011 6:50 am
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

BMW have actually recently become quite a cool brand, especially when compared to AUDI! Although the X range isn't included in this.

I drove a few X6's the year they were launched (including the X6M) and they were CRAP at everything.

Off road, on road, interior space, visibility, comfort, usability. The whole thing. It's one of the worst car's I've ever driven and I have a special area of me reserved for my HATRED of them!

If anyone's got one on here feel free to fire back but you're not going to persuade me otherwise! Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #101471 10th May 2011 3:26 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Tigger wrote:
Captain Worm wrote:
A UK journo is always going to rave about a British Product (Jaguar / LandRover) and slate foreign rivals - its probably in their contract as it will have a positive effect on the economy, aka better life for themselves

Wow! That's a sweeping generalisation for which I've seen no evidence since the launch of the Austin Metro and Maestro in the early 1980's!

I have an MG metro once - and a Mini... not to mention my mates Meastro Turbo - all good cars!!! and the Meastro was the fastest thing I'd ever driven at the time, so underrated! Whistle Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #101473 10th May 2011 4:03 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Captain Worm wrote:
Tigger wrote:
Captain Worm wrote:

I have an MG metro once - and a Mini... not to mention my mates Meastro Turbo - all good cars!!! and the Meastro was the fastest thing I'd ever driven at the time, so underrated! Whistle

We had 3 standard MG Maestro EFi's in the family between 1986 and about 1992; not the turbos, mind you. Absolutely loved them and very sorry to see the last one go! Particularly liked the anti-snob appeal and you are so right -hugely underrated.

Despite the fact that I current drive a 300+bhp Focus RS, the MG still holds my record for the fastest top speed I've ever achieved on 4 wheels! Laughing

Post #101477 10th May 2011 5:18 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Strange thing is that BMW had to rape/steal Landrover from Rover Group as they did not have the knowhow to build a 4x4, They owned Rover/Landrover for ni-on 7 years & still can't make a decent 4x4 Rolling with laughter (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #101548 10th May 2011 11:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Captain Worm wrote:
Tigger wrote:
Captain Worm wrote:

I have an MG metro once - and a Mini... not to mention my mates Meastro Turbo - all good cars!!! and the Meastro was the fastest thing I'd ever driven at the time, so underrated! Whistle

Most journalists thesedays (one in particular) seem to rubbish everything that comes from this country no matter what it is!

I had MG Metro's, MG Maestro's & MG Montego's in the 80's & 90's in fact all my new cars have been Austin, MG or Rover & loved them all, infact I had an immaculate MG Metro & Extreemly nice 1983 MG 1600 Maestro 2 years ago for shows etc only sold them to collectors to find an even better example & now have a 1990 MG Montego in Flame Red with currently 32000 miles on it that I am restoring to as new a condition as possible!!

I also have a 2005 MG ZR-Express Van (Extreemly rare) & a 2006 Rover 25GSi & both of these have been excellent. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #101619 11th May 2011 10:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kaanage

Australia 

Big Dave wrote:
I drove a few X6's the year they were launched (including the X6M) and they were CRAP at everything.

Off road, on road, interior space, visibility, comfort, usability. The whole thing. It's one of the worst car's I've ever driven and I have a special area of me reserved for my HATRED of them!

Thumbs Up
I haven't driven one but by god they're ugly and there is no way that they make sense from a performance or a practicality point of view.

Sadly, they seem quite popular (amongst those who can afford them) down here, in the cities. And I doubt any down here go any further off road than a gravel driveway. Rolling with laughter

Post #102579 19th May 2011 7:53 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

What is it that you guys think is ugly on a X6 Question Shocked
The front is nicer than an X5 the interior is absolutly great Thumbs Up
An that leaves ther rear - which in my mind is a little unpracticble, but its not supposed to be a LR.
The X6 may be different to what you are used too but it is far from hideous - Try looking looking in the mirror in the early mornings, that is what most would call HIDEOUS Laughing 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #102581 19th May 2011 8:10 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>